Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Austria - where to go?

Options
  • 28-07-2008 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for some recommendations for Austria as to where to stay? I have been to Andorra twice already & as much as its been great, the transfers are just a killer. Most resorts in Austria seem to be within 2hrs so was thinking of trying Austria next year. Looking to go Jan/Feb 09. Group of about 6 would be a mix of absolute beginners and intermediates (mainly beginners) all in their mid20's - so somewhere with good apres ski would be a bonus :)

Any recommendations greatly appreciated! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

You didn't mention how much money you have!

Ischgl or St. Anton on the expensive side of things.
    Saalbach on the not cheap but not as expensive side.

They'd be the more international places to go with really good Apres ski and skiing. If you wanna go where half of Ireland goes to then I can't help but no doubt others know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Lermoos is fantastic for beginners and intermediates. People who have skied for years and are well travelled winter-resort wise, agree with me (I'm a sky novice). Pretty much garanteed snow even if its scarce else where. Nice size village and unbelieveable setting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Polarbear2020

Soll is the only place I have been to in Austria. Went with a large group of 18-mid/late 20s, mixed abilities, similar to yourself. Large amount of good slopes, loads of variety as their lift system links with surrounding areas so you can disappear for the day and probably not ski the same slope twice...just make sure you dont get lost and miss the last lift home:mad:! -finding taxis can be hard, and expensive lol!
    From the exterior it seems like a sleepy little town, but if you look in the right place, the apres can be pretty crazy.
    Transfer just over an hour as far as I can remember.

Kaprun is another resort thats meant to be good, plenty of slopes and from what I hear night life is epic!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭moorele

Cool thanks for that everyone!
    Imposter wrote: »
    You didn't mention how much money you have!

Ischgl or St. Anton on the expensive side of things.
    Saalbach on the not cheap but not as expensive side.

They'd be the more international places to go with really good Apres ski and skiing. If you wanna go where half of Ireland goes to then I can't help but no doubt others know.

Most of us would be students so obviously we'd want to try & do it as cheaply as possible. Realistically tho I was budgeting about 800euro for everything including lessons & ski hire etc...

A friend recommended Alpe d'Huez in France (transfer only about 1.5hrs from Grenoble). Have any of you been here? What did you think of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

myself and some friends are thinking about Mayrhofen for '09. So just want to see if any people here have expereince of it and how they rate it?

I've been to Italy (livigno) , Andorra (Pal) and Bulgaria (Pmaporovo) before so how would you compare Mayrhofen to those?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

I was in Mayrhofen in 07 and had a great time!! Village is only at approx 750m , so transfers are pretty handy (can get a train into the town centre, which is 2 trains from Munich airport), I rented a car (2 hours max from Munich)
    The gondola lift from the village goes to approx 2300m and then lifts from there up - busy in the mornings so we left it until after 10 to go up and its only a 5 min wait. Didnt find the queues at the lifts too bad, maybe a few 2 min waits max - but maybe thats because the locals wherent bothered going out because of the poor snow!
    Snow wasnt great when i was there as it was a bad year anyways, but a good variety of runs (ski passes include surrounding mountains, which can be go to by the buses, which are free with the ski passes)
    The Ice Bar (next to the gondola) is mental from early, before the lifts start to close until approx 11, with people from all nationalitys dancing and bopping about to all types of music - it quietens down then pretty much all over the village early but late drinks can be got!!
    Was in Livingo this year and Mayrhofen compares well to it - only difference is that drink isnt as cheap and the village is far more compact - not so much walking to get to good bars!!
    Also in Andorra, Pas de la Cas, and its not like this either - no high rise hotels etc - just a qiuet village (always appears quiet), good bars can be found, although unlikely at first
    Overall - well worth a visit!!!

Advertisement