Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part 4 tenancy etc etc etc

Options
  • 06-05-2015 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭

Am I misreading/misinterpreting this or does this mean that at the end of a 1 yr lease, a tenant can say 'No I am not moving out' if the landlord just wants to move them on as not happy/comfortable with them?

Security of Tenure (Part 4)
    Security of tenure is based on 4-year cycles from the date Part 4 of the Act comes into force (i.e. 1st September 2004).
    The landlord can terminate without specifying grounds during the first 6 months, but once a tenancy has lasted 6 months, the landlord will be able to terminate that tenancy (known as a “Part 4 tenancy”) during the following 31/2 years only if any of the following apply;

the tenant does not comply with the obligations of the tenancy
    the dwelling is no longer suited to the occupants
    - accommodation needs (e.g. overcrowded)
    - the landlord intends to sell the dwelling in the next 3 months
    the landlord requires the dwelling for own or family member occupation
    - the landlord intends to refurbish the dwelling
    the landlord intends to change the business use of the dwelling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

at the end of a 1 yr lease, a tenant can say 'No I am not moving out' if the landlord just wants to move them on as not happy/comfortable with them?
    This is correct. After six months the tenant gets Part 4 security and cannot be kicked out (except for the specific reasons you quoted above), even if a fixed term lease is signed and even if said lease contains a clause contradicting Part 4 rights.

Advertisement