Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1-2 Months Snowboarding

Options
  • 04-09-2012 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I may be (willingly) obliged to take some time off work in the new year and i was thinking get a proper amount of boarding done insted of some 1 week holiday. It won't be a long enough break for a full season though.

Has anyone tried this? whats the best/cheapest way to do it? especially since i'd be travelling solo. Europe, Canada , the US its doesn't bother me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭derv

i had planned to do the same last year,
    the accommodation is the problem, or at least that was what i found when i sat down to plan it,

have you looked at accommodation in any of the big resorts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Look at short term rentals in a major town like Geneva, Salzburg, Innsbruck and use it as a base to hit all the resorts around on day trips

Geneva; - Chamonix,Zermatt, Verbier, Saas Fee, Flaine,gstaad, Interlaken, Murren, The Milky Way

Innsbruck; - Every major Austrian resort

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

If you look at Morzine you might be able to get something there. Its a fairly big town for ski town standards..

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭karl83

Im looking at doing the same, kinda looking at whistler or bnaff and doing an instructors course for a couple of months. I wont be going till january just with work. Or else just being a ski bum in austria. I was planning in going on my own but if others are interested in going together it might be easier to get accommodation or even just plan things. Im a boarder and really just interested in spending a season in a resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SUPing

I Did 8 Weeks in Chamonix in 2011, Now there was 2 of us originally and Then I stayed on longer for 3 extra weeks.
    I found while looking at home It was tough to find/book accommodation on the cheap as all providers where holding out too get top Dollar. We got a hostel for the first few nights and sorted ourselves once familiar with the Place, I stayed in 4 different apartments in the end, once you got to know people they take care of you on the price. Some times I shared apartments with people over for a week on a Mountaineering course other times the company let me a place on my own for about €75 a week, lots of small mountaineering companies have accommodation and will fill a space for some extra cash if they can.

We drove over originally and we got the unlimated season pass for chamonix which gave us access to all 4 areas in Chamonix, Courmayeur in Italy (Other side of the Tunnel) and Verbier in Switzerland. The Car allowed us to travel to all these places and the pass also gave us half price on the cost of the Tunnel. As far as I know there is a bus runs from Chamonix to both resorts that is free or very cheap with the season pass.
    Season pass was about half price if bought by November! Worked out about the same price as buying 3 weeks worth of passes!

A decent size town like Chamonix is nice as you can do other things on down days or in the evnings. (Cinema, pool, ice skating, Ice hockey Matches, Climbing walls, pubs, clubs)

Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

That sounds great.
    Did you manage to do this during peak season and how did you find these companies?
    I imagine this would only work for a big place like chamonix, ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SUPing

Yea I arrived December 29th and stayed till Late Feb! If I did it again I might avoid New years as the slopes are Jammers but pretty much after new years day till mid Feb they are not too packed I had very little time spent queuing for lifts.

I happened to come across a company called Icicle mountaineering who did apartments and after renting one off the originally at full price they started to take care of me I just moved around alot! There is so much Accommodation that i would say there will always be someone looking for some cash to fill a space! Hostels where cheap enough too about €14 a night we paid!

If you dont drive over there are loads of shuttles from the airport to chamonix takes about 45min or so and one in the town all buses are free!!

Paddy
    pureadventure.ie

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

When having a large chunk of free time on my hands a few years ago, and wanting to spend it on the snow, I decided that the best way to spend the time for me was to do an instructor course. I did have a full season, but meant I had something to do whilst out there and I gained something out of it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭prunudo

I have previously thought and looked into doing something similar. Never actually done it and doubt I'll get the chance to either this winter but as robinph mentioned an instructor was one way which I had looked into, also I came across a crowd based in the UK but who organize training and holidays in Canada called nonstop snowboarding. Was pricey but seemed like a good alternative to Europe.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I did a couple of weeks in Canada with NonStop which was great fun, would recommend them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭prunudo

robinph wrote: »
    I did a couple of weeks in Canada with NonStop which was great fun, would recommend them.

That's good to hear, reviews were always good but never heard from anybody first hand

Advertisement