Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Beginners only" ski packs - Livigno

Options
  • 01-03-2010 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I was just wondering if anyone has seen a clampdown on intermediate skiers using beginners only ski packs in Livigno? I’m debating whether to prebook a pack this year….

I've been to livigno a number of times and have always bought the beginner ski packs from the tour operators despite being an intermediate skier.
    I've found that everyone, regardless of level, gets the same lift pass, rental equipment and when it comes to school is told to meet at the same place/time (people are then graded and split into classes) As it stands, I don't see the point of purchasing/renting individually when I can go for the cheaper 'beginners only' pack option. Has anyone come across any issues with these packs this season?

Cheers,
    S :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Seems odd that the tour operators would be trying to NOT sell packages to intermediate skiers. I'd expect them to be trying to flog you the "advanced" skis deal and lessons. Some ski schools do schedule their beginner lessons for the morning and the people who have been before in the afternoon though, so it could be something to do with that for why they are trying to stop people who have been before buying the begginer package as that would mess up the lesson groups a bit for the instructors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I was just wondering if anyone has seen a clampdown on intermediate skiers using beginners only ski packs in Livigno? I’m debating whether to prebook a pack this year….

I've been to livigno a number of times and have always bought the beginner ski packs from the tour operators despite being an intermediate skier.
    I've found that everyone, regardless of level, gets the same lift pass, rental equipment and when it comes to school is told to meet at the same place/time (people are then graded and split into classes) As it stands, I don't see the point of purchasing/renting individually when I can go for the cheaper 'beginners only' pack option. Has anyone come across any issues with these packs this season?

Cheers,
    S :)

Just back from Livigno
    Beginner package lift pass is a "points only" pass, AND only works on carosello mountain. also only 400 points on pass. My total beginner friends had usurped it within 4 days. Do not get this pack.

Get a full pass. Can buy a full pass as supplement to beginners only package from your tour operator for 75quid or so. This would work fine for the loophole you have in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Snowbride 2011

Just back from Livigno
    Beginner package lift pass is a "points only" pass, AND only works on carosello mountain. also only 400 points on pass. My total beginner friends had usurped it within 4 days. Do not get this pack.

Get a full pass. Can buy a full pass as supplement to beginners only package from your tour operator for 75quid or so. This would work fine for the loophole you have in mind.

hans aus dtschl - what tour operator did you go with? Oh, and how was the snow??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Directski.com
    Have dealt with them in the past so was used to their shenanigans to some degree.

Snow was very good. Good deep base layer, and lots of fresh dumps all week. At the end of the week we had a slightly damper snowfall so it was slightly clumpier but you can't complain when it's a 30 cm fall at the top.

Park on mottolino is in good condition, and lift system's fine and happy. Good deep snow all over, but as we all know that changes from hour to hour and even from minute to minute anyway.

Stay away from the hire shop in the centre of town (middle ski school on carosello) if you have any choice in the matter. They have every scam under the sun going on: "pay us €20 insurance or you cant have skis".

If I were you I'd organise pass, ski hire and classes on the ground, but thats just a personal preference.

Advertisement