Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The kids ski black runs, where to go?

Options
  • 10-08-2008 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭

Ok, the children are almost at the point where they don't need ski school and we can think about a resort with lots of scope for family skiing. They are all confident bombing down black runs as long as they are not too bumpy. Steep or ice is fine for all of them.

We did several days in Arabba last Easter, and they had a blast skiing the Stella Ronda and the Hidden Valley and the 5 towers. But they didn't like the village itself, not enough to do when they were finished skiing.

Three girls, aged 7, 10 and 11. They all eat like food is going out of style, so we'd like somewhere that won't break the budget. We normally stay in places like youth hostels or B&Bs. We usually do independent travel to get there, so we are pretty flexible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Ok, we have booked flights to Grenoble and plan to go to Chamrousse and ski the Olympic downhill runs there.

We are planning to stay in the Youth Hostel here, which is five minutes away from some of the biggest lifts, and which has a jacuzzi and the biggest dressing up wardrobe you've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Hi EileenG,

I just had a look at Chamrousse, it looks like a nice spot, never heard of it until you mentioned it. Its great that its so close to Grenoble airport, only 30 min transfer !

I have a question for you since you have kids. Did you ever bring your kids skiing when they were much younger, if so what was it like, are the nurserys ok? I have a little boy who is nearly 2 and we are considering bringing him, or leaving him back home with his grandmother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Im glad you found a place EileenG, I know it cant be easy finding a place where kids can ski Black runs and have fun, well, being kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Overflow, we've been taking our kids with us since they were born. I skied when my first baby was only 10 weeks old. The early years of getting them to ski school were a pain, but it's really paying off now. I reckon we have one more year of convincing them we are better skiers than they are.

If you want to ski with young children, I strongly recommend Val Cenis in France. The ski school takes children from 3 years, the creche takes them from 3 months and charges by the hour. Val Cenis has the longest green run in Europe, L'escargot, which makes it possible for the most nervous or tired child to ski down under her own steam. There are more challenging runs for adults!

Check out the Centre International de Sejour (www.cis-valcenis.com) which provides fairly basic accommodation, full board with massive amounts of food and unlimited wine, kiddie club, and most important, a little shuttle bus which brings the children down to ski school and picks them up afterwards so you have time to do some real skiing.

www.snowbizz.co.uk also had a good set up for families, mostly apartment based in Puy St Vincent.

Advertisement