Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amusing snow stories...

Options
  • 08-02-2008 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Dunno if this thread has been done before, but saw somwthing similar in the fitness forum, and thought it might help people through their Friday. Anyone got any funny anecdotes from their time on the slopes- getting stuck on a lift, falling off a cliff etc??!!??

To start the ball rolling, one of the funniest I experienced was in St Anton a number of years ago, when myself and buddy hopped back on to the piste straight in to the path of ski-schule for kinder! They were snaking their way down the full width of the piste, numbering about twenty in total. Having gathered quite a bit of speed from the hit back on to the piste my friend saw the school really late, and couldn't get an edge in on time. Carnage seemed pretty imminent, when instinct kicked in and he crouched down and scooped up the unsuspecting infant who lay in his path. He rode it out, slowed down, carefully placed the kid down mid-piste, gave him a reassuring pat on the head, and carried on!!

That, and the ruptured buttock muscle I incurred when learning to snowboard- not at all amusing at the time, but one cheek was so swollen that when at work I couldn't sit flat, and in work trousers, one cheek was very noticably bigger than the other...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Good thread :)

There are probably loads, but one thing jumping out at me was this year in Les Deux Alpes. We were coming down a green run that led to a dead end and a lift back up. However, completely bored with the flatness of the green, myself and a friend decided to deviate down the off-piste running along side it. It was incredibly icy, but manageable.

I rode down and joined back on the green near the end and met my other friend at the lift (he'd just stuck to the green). My second friend, who'd joined me, ran into a bit of trouble though. He missed the opportunity to join back onto the green and went too far down the off-piste. It was very icy as I said, so watching him trying to climb back up was pretty hilarious. It was also snowing, so it was like watching someone in a movie mountain-climbing.

He got out of his board and tried to use it to dig into the snow, while myself and my friend hung over the edge of the little slope trying to reach out and grab him. But whenever he got within arms reach, he just slid back down the slope. Eventually the really cool lift operator who was there got a rope, and we threw it down. The three of us together managed to haul him up the slope. We all pretty much fell on the ground for a few minutes laughing.

Of course, me being the jerk that I am, had to take a photo :)

http://lh6.google.com/ItsStephenNotSteven/R5ecBHN2tRI/AAAAAAAACfU/hHQOjM1pQPE/SA400068.JPG?imgmax=800

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

Proposed charter for this thread...
    Don’t tell everyone your really funny skiing story - the one that tells how you got out of control on a blue run and fell over. Everybody tells this story during their first week’s holiday so no one wants to hear your version. Ski stories are best if they include collisions with snowcanons or celebrities, or at least 3 metres of unintentional air and some near-death to go with it…
    :D

http://www.merinet.com/tip.php taken from this page! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Exhibit 1:
    Friend was too busy talking on the chairlift to realise we should be getting off - somebody lifted the bar and how he didn#t tear his groin muscle is anyones guess - his ski was well over his head at one stage while he was still sitting on the lift!

Exhibit 2:
    3rd day of a long weekend - we were busy drinking some shots and a friend commented that she hadn't fallen over yet - got back on the skis and she proceeded to have a pretty spectacular wipeout 400m later :D

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

A friend of mine was in livigno last year and walked home from a nightclub in the snow late one night. The next morning the other lads in the apartment, heavily hungover, heard screaming from his room and he came into them showing them his black foot from the frostbite he'd gotten walking home. With very sore heads the other lads convinced him to go to the medical centre immediately to get help (and leave them in peace). Once there a female doctor examined him and prodded his foot asking did he feel any pain to which he replied "a little". She was a bit confused how he had walked all the way with a frostbitten foot. She got out some ointment and cotton wool and started swabbing the foot when a smile broke across her face. My friend barely able to look down asked what could be done to save his foot to which the doc replied "buy new shoes, the dye has run on your old ones"......To this day that story is still haunting him and his new name is Tom Crean. He posts on boards as well so feel free to mock.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

ekevosu wrote: »
    "buy new shoes, the dye has run on your old ones"

Class. Pure class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

I broke my binding at the top of a slope a few months ago. As I was at the top, I asked if I could take the lift back down. They obliged.
    So I was enjoyin the way back down, none of the people going up really spotted me going against the flow. I noticed the seat should have a good echo off it, a good reverb like a wooden bench.
    So, with all my might I parted with a nice loud rip-roarer, just as I was across from some unwitting victims. That got their attention. Couldn't stop laughin all the way down. Legend has it that it was heard all around the mountain that clear winters day

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Sidney77

in whistler last december and some korean kid with an instrucror kept calling me "hey you in the chair" i eventually replied he asked if i was rich and i said no, why are you, and he said yes im very rich, again he asked if i was rich and i said "i am rich im irish and i have a big pot of gold"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

Brought my friend over to Austria while i was there taught her how to ski all going well. We brought her up a button lift explained how to get off etc she said grand no problems. When we got to the top where she had to ski off she froze and wouldnt budge so ended going right through the security banner. the lift guy had to help her off. It was so funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 boomhower

my ski instructor proclaiming his love to me across a crowded bar while all the skiers were eating lunch...

funny..but very, very embarrassing!:o:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

boomhower wrote: »
    my ski instructor proclaiming his love to me across a crowded bar while all the skiers were eating lunch...

funny..but very, very embarrassing!:o:(

give us more detail.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Myself and Shayk1 were in Germany and the rest of our group decided to get the gondolas back down to the bottom as "they would be faster" so we could have a drink and relax before getting the bus.
    We said no, and decided to board down the 3 or 4 km run. We were sitting having a beer at the bottom when the rest of the group got off the gondolas! :D
    Not that amusing to you guys, but we laughed our asses off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Yeah we did!!! :-) That was some serious speed

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭paulharte

Last winter, I taught Saddam Husseins grand-daughter how to ski! True story!

Her name is banan! She was a bit of a renegade on the slopes aswell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Polarbear2020

paulharte wrote: »
    Last winter, I taught Saddam Husseins grand-daughter how to ski! True story!

Her name is banan! She was a bit of a renegade on the slopes aswell...

Legend:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Grimlock

On a serious powder day in Whistler (think 40cm+ fresh snow) around December 06, myself 2 Aussies and an Irish girl call kath where doing a tree run down Harmony on Whistler, Kath was a bit infront of me and I lost sight of her through the trees, as I came out of the bottom of the tree line, I can see a drain, with a nice up slope to pop off maybe.....when I notice the bottom of Kaths board, white base with a huge black <b><i>ROXY</b></i> logo, with the rest of Kath buried beneath it in the bank.

To this day I'm not sure how she did it but there was no evidence that a person was beneath it, buried in the snow, it looked like she had landed head first and went in like an arrow.

We all had a good laugh, esp kath herself, pity we didn't have a camera though.

Advertisement