Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for tights...but not really?

Options
  • 26-04-2016 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure exactly how to describe what I'm after. I have a couple of maxi skirts that I plan on wearing this summer, with open-toes sandals. I'm used to wearing tights under skirts, but obviously can't with the style of sandal I'm planning on wearing. Well, I could, but I don't like the look of tights with open sandals and they'd probably make my feet slip around too much.

I know there exists some kind of garment like tights, but that sit around the thighs only and don't come pat the knees. Basically a large garter, I suppose! Any recommendation for where I should buy, or even what search terms I should be using for online shopping? Using "garter" isn't working, surprisingly :cool:

If all else fails, I suppose I could wear some bike shorts underneath, but I'm hoping for something more elegant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

:pac: Let's call that Plan B, yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

jokettle wrote: »
    I'm not sure exactly how to describe what I'm after. I have a couple of maxi skirts that I plan on wearing this summer, with open-toes sandals. I'm used to wearing tights under skirts, but obviously can't with the style of sandal I'm planning on wearing. Well, I could, but I don't like the look of tights with open sandals and they'd probably make my feet slip around too much.

I know there exists some kind of garment like tights, but that sit around the thighs only and don't come pat the knees. Basically a large garter, I suppose! Any recommendation for where I should buy, or even what search terms I should be using for online shopping? Using "garter" isn't working, surprisingly :cool:

If all else fails, I suppose I could wear some bike shorts underneath, but I'm hoping for something more elegant.

M&S have tights you can wear with sandals. They have loops so your toes peek out and it doesn't look like you are wearing tights at all! I wear them with open toe sandals and you'd genuinely never know

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Hufflepuff

Evans sell things called comfort shorts , sounds like what your describing.

Hufflepuff wrote: »
    Evans sell things called comfort shorts , sounds like what your describing.

Looks exactly right, only problem is the sizing. I'd be a 10-12 on bottom.

I'll give M&S a try for sure!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm struggling to follow what you're looking for. I second the M&S suggestion for toeless tights. I had them one upon a time, and they're fine if it's an open toe sandal where you can only see a couple of toes, but not if there's a lot of toe area on show :D.

There's also bandelettes that just fit around your thighs and help with chub rub. I find them a godsend when it's humid :o. Or do you want something that comes up to your hips/waist?

Bandelettes! That's them! I saw them mentioned on another forum ages ago and couldn't remember the name.

Thanks Faith!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,906 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Talcum powder is cheaper and very effective to stop chafing in hot weather. Only need a bit of it too. Magic stuff.

Tbh I'm undecided between going with bandelettes, which is what I was originally thinking of, or searching for something more akin to cycling shorts. Dear of chub rub is part of the issue, but I'm also really used to high waisted jeans and that comforting feeling of being "held in" by your clothes! I reckon I'll try cheap versions of both and see what feels better.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've seen shorts (just as you're describing) for sale here in the Netherlands. I can't understand why thus is something that isn't sold more commonly in hosiery departments. I sometimes take a scissors to a pair of tights and turn them into shorts.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    I sometimes take a scissors to a pair of tights and turn them into shorts.

Do they last long when you do this? As in, do they unravel at all out do they stay intact? I have plenty of spare tights, so this could be a great solution!

Bandelettes! That's them! I saw them mentioned on another forum ages ago and couldn't remember the name.

Thanks Faith!

It was probably me that mentioned them :D. I'm a big fan of them, and have had them for the last few summers. Thought they'd be useful for my wedding, but I cycled enough to tone up my thighs enough not to need them.
    Tbh I'm undecided between going with bandelettes, which is what I was originally thinking of, or searching for something more akin to cycling shorts. Dear of chub rub is part of the issue, but I'm also really used to high waisted jeans and that comforting feeling of being "held in" by your clothes! I reckon I'll try cheap versions of both and see what feels better.

I looked for cycling shorts before I bought bandelettes, and it was actually really hard to find any suitable ones. I think I wanted mine for wearing under very short dresses, so I ended up buying some from eBay. The ones in stores were either very expensive, too long or garishly coloured.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Do they last long when you do this? As in, do they unravel at all out do they stay intact? I have plenty of spare tights, so this could be a great solution!

Hit and miss, depending on the quality of the tights. They usually last OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ruthy_2504

Pennys have shorts in their control underwear section with decent length legs, and come well up your waist too. I got 2 pairs for my hols for under dresses!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Faith wrote: »
    I'm struggling to follow what you're looking for. I second the M&S suggestion for toeless tights. I had them one upon a time, and they're fine if it's an open toe sandal where you can only see a couple of toes, but not if there's a lot of toe area on show :D.

There's also bandelettes that just fit around your thighs and help with chub rub. I find them a godsend when it's humid :o. Or do you want something that comes up to your hips/waist?

Wow...look very handy for hot weather days. Never heard of them before. Do you buy them from this site Faith ? Are they good to deal with ?

solerina wrote: »
    Wow...look very handy for hot weather days. Never heard of them before. Do you buy them from this site Faith ? Are they good to deal with ?

I have ordered them from that site, yup. It's been a few years now so I can't remember how long shipping took, but it's a small package so I don't think it took long. Maybe a week? I didn't have any problems with them at all. I had to email them once when I hadn't received shipping confirmation, and they got back to me promptly.

Faith wrote: »
    I have ordered them from that site, yup. It's been a few years now so I can't remember how long shipping took, but it's a small package so I don't think it took long. Maybe a week? I didn't have any problems with them at all. I had to email them once when I hadn't received shipping confirmation, and they got back to me promptly.

Bought 2 pairs, took less than a week to arrive...not charged any extra for customs...now to get decent weather to actually wear them !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

solerina wrote: »
    Bought 2 pairs, took less than a week to arrive...not charged any extra for customs...now to get decent weather to actually wear them !!

What is the sizing like? I think I'll get some myself!!

Believe it or not I havnt tried them on. They say to measure around the top of your leg and then match it to A,B, C etc so that's what I did, hopefully they fit !!

Advertisement