Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015-16 Champions Cup thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Leinster
    joe_99 wrote: »
    To avoid fixture congestion for Munster and Stade it might have been a better idea to switch the home and away legs thereby moving the weekend game to Thomond and then play the second game in France in a few weeks

It's an option, but it's not going to happen. Munster would expect over 20K at this game in January. There's no way the could shift that many tickets in 4 days.

Leinster
    Statement from EPCR on the rescheduling of games

In the wake of last week's tragic events in the French capital, the decision has been taken to postpone the European Rugby Champions Cup, Round 2 match between Stade Francais Paris and Munster Rugby which was scheduled to be played at Stade Jean Bouin on Sunday.
    EPCR is continuing to work with the Ligue Nationale de Rugby (LNR), Premiership Rugby and the PRO12, as well as the relevant clubs, to consider all possible fixture permutations with the aim of coming up with a workable solution as to how the Stade Francais Paris v Munster Rugby match, in addition to the five games from Round 1 of the tournaments, can be rescheduled in an already crowded rugby calendar.

EPCR, the three leagues and the clubs are in agreement that all postponed fixtures - including the RC Toulon v Bath Rugby Round 1 match - will be played, and an announcement regarding the new dates will be made as soon as possible.

Bit of a dig at Bruce Craig in there I see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ospreys
    How many tries has Tim Visser scored already for Quins? Got one again tonight. Looks like he needed a change of scenery and he's recaptured that form as the absolutely lethal finisher he was not all that long ago.

EDIT: apparently only two in four games. Fairly standard for a winger.

I'll shut the hell up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

http://m.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2015/1120/747939-champions-cup-rescheduling-talks-continue/

Seems unlikely the games will be played this side of Christmas by the looks of things?

I just don't know where they'll hope to fit them in. It will have to mean mid week games and I can't see them doing it during the 6N considering already-weakened squads.

There's no easy solution at all for this one. Fixture congestion was already a problem before the cancellations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Scarlets
    Well they've been chewing over it all week and we still have no white smoke on the re-arranged fixtures. No matter what they do, someone will be unhappy. If we get a blast of bad weather or some sort of disruption in December/January, I could see the whole thing being called off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Wasps
    I don't see what the delay is really.

The fixture list won't look any kinder on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I don't see what the delay is really.

The fixture list won't look any kinder on Monday.

Yeah but it's still a negotiation which, given the situation in the AP, will take time to resolve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Wasps:
    15. Charles Piutau; 14. Christian Wade, 13. Elliot Daly, 12. Ben Jacobs, 11. Frank Halai; 10. Ruaridh Jackson, 9. Joe Simpson;
    1. Matt Mullan, 2. Carlo Festuccia, 3. Jake Cooper-Woolley, 4. Joe Launchbury, 5. Bradley Davies, 6. James Haskell (c), 7. George Smith, 8. Nathan Hughes

16. Ashley Johnson, 17. Simon McIntyre, 18. Lorenzo Cittadini, 19. James Gaskell, 20. Sam Jones, 21. Dan Robson, 22. Alex Lozowski, 23. Sailosi Tagicakibau

Toulon:
    15. Delon Armitage; 14. Josua Tuisova, 13. Mathieu Bastareaud, 12. Maxime Mermoz, 11. Bryan Habana; 10. Quade Cooper, 9. Jonathan Pelissie;
    1. Xavier Chiocci, 2. Anthony Etrillard, 3. Matt Stevens, 4. Samu Manoa, 5. Romain Taofifenua, 6. Juan Smith (c), 7. Juan Fernandez Lobbe, 8. Steffon Armitage

16. Bastien Soury, 17. Florian Fresia, 18. Levan Chilachava, 19. Duane Vermeulen, 20. Mamuka Gorgodze, 21. Theo Belan, 22. Sebastien Tillous-Borde, 23. Konstantine Mikautadze

I know Leinster helped them look good, but it wouldn't surprise me if Wasps beat that Toulon side. Gorgodze and Vermeulen on at 60 minutes though...

Fernandez Lobbe vs George Smith...that is some matchup in the backrow!

Leinster
    molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah but it's still a negotiation which, given the situation in the AP, will take time to resolve.

What I can't understand is why can't they sort out the other 5 games not involving Bath. Two of them are all French ties.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Wasps
    molloyjh wrote: »

We want to play the game midweek, that ok by you?
    No
    No
    No
    No
    No
    No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Leicester well on their way to another 5 pointer away to Treviso. 3 tries in the bag at half time. They've missed out narrowly on the quarter finals a couple of times in recent years. Looks good for them this time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Triumvirate

Definite try ruled out by the TMO inexplicably. Matter of time before the 4th try arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Throwing a dummy lineout throw inside your own 22:rolleyes:

BP for Leicester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

:(

Don't see a thread for the Challenge Cup so I'll include it here, Zebre have had a good first half at home to Worcester. 21-3 they lead at half time. Denied Gloucester 4 tries last week, this would be a good victory if they can see it out in the 2nd half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Wasps:
    15. Charles Piutau; 14. Christian Wade, 13. Elliot Daly, 12. Ben Jacobs, 11. Frank Halai; 10. Ruaridh Jackson, 9. Joe Simpson;
    1. Matt Mullan, 2. Carlo Festuccia, 3. Jake Cooper-Woolley, 4. Joe Launchbury, 5. Bradley Davies, 6. James Haskell (c), 7. George Smith, 8. Nathan Hughes

16. Ashley Johnson, 17. Simon McIntyre, 18. Lorenzo Cittadini, 19. James Gaskell, 20. Sam Jones, 21. Dan Robson, 22. Alex Lozowski, 23. Sailosi Tagicakibau

Toulon:
    15. Delon Armitage; 14. Josua Tuisova, 13. Mathieu Bastareaud, 12. Maxime Mermoz, 11. Bryan Habana; 10. Quade Cooper, 9. Jonathan Pelissie;
    1. Xavier Chiocci, 2. Anthony Etrillard, 3. Matt Stevens, 4. Samu Manoa, 5. Romain Taofifenua, 6. Juan Smith (c), 7. Juan Fernandez Lobbe, 8. Steffon Armitage

16. Bastien Soury, 17. Florian Fresia, 18. Levan Chilachava, 19. Duane Vermeulen, 20. Mamuka Gorgodze, 21. Theo Belan, 22. Sebastien Tillous-Borde, 23. Konstantine Mikautadze

I know Leinster helped them look good, but it wouldn't surprise me if Wasps beat that Toulon side. Gorgodze and Vermeulen on at 60 minutes though...

Fernandez Lobbe vs George Smith...that is some matchup in the backrow!

Don't know if they have what it takes to take them on up front. Wasps back 3 is top class but Smith/Loobe/Armitage is pretty incomparable as back rows go. With Vermeulen & Gorgodze to come in!

Although Launchbury was a colossus last week, I thought; and Hughes & Smith were excellent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Only looked at the Northampton team now, surprised North got away with his stamp last week

Scarlets
    Ye gods, the Permiership sides have done well this weekend. Mind you, as Will Greenwood has just said, they were back in their clubs sooner than our guys were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Ospreys
    Assuming Ospreys lose in Clermont tomorrow, it will be six defeats from six for the Pro12 this weekend, four of them at home.

• Advertisement

Scarlets
    Assuming Ospreys lose in Clermont tomorrow, it will be six defeats from six for the Pro12 this weekend, four of them at home.

That is shocking. Well, worrying actually.

Further to that, Leinster are the only side to even pick up a losing bonus point. The Pro12 sides aren't just being beaten, they're being well beaten both at home and on the road.

Scarlets lost by 17 points at home after playing against 14 men for half the game. Given they've been one of the stand out sides in the Pro12 this season, that's pretty scary.

Wasps
    It's not really that surprising as Glasgow, Lanelli/Ospreys, and Leinster provided huge numbers of guys to the RWC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

It's not really that surprising as Glasgow, Lanelli/Ospreys, and Leinster provided huge numbers of guys to the RWC.

Was thinking the same. It's no coincidence.

Scarlets
    And another good night for a premiership side in Exeter - they've just dotted down their fourth try against Bordeaux. Whitten having a good night for the Chiefs.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think that excuse will be worn out soon. The Pro12 teams are going backwards at a considerable rate.

Good win for Grenoble in the Challenge Cup with the last play. Some competitive performances from the French sides this weekend which is good to see for the credibility of the competition.

Excellent win for Zebre. When Zebre is the highlight for the Pro 12 you know its been a bad weekend so far. Don't see it improving tomorrow either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

It may be a one year thing though as the Welsh regions seem to be gettng their act together in terms of getting their top players back and the IRFU have released more cash to the provinces as well. I know Ulster are rumoured to be making some big signings, hopefully Munster and Leinster bring some good players too, although the IRFU blocking Munster from signing Stephen Moore doesn't bode well. Anyway that aside hopefully the gap will close a bit next year.

Could be argued for Glasgow, Ospreys and Leinster but not really Scarlets. Ulster weren't hugely disrupted by the World Cup and were hammered at home against a team who had much more disruption where they lose once in a blue moon in the Pro 12. Glasgow's performance is a big blow. Going to be a bleak year for the Pro 12 in the European Cup.

• Advertisement

Scarlets were stuffed by Racing who lost at least 10 players to the RWC also. I don't think there's any doubt there's an ongoing slide in the quality in the Pro12 driven mostly by the money available to the other leagues.

Scarlets

....while, so far, all of the Aviva premiership teams have won. Wasps is the only team yet to play.

Wasps
    I think that excuse will be worn out soon. The Pro12 teams are going backwards at a considerable rate.

I think it's true for this moment in time.
    Could be argued for Glasgow, Ospreys and Leinster but not really Scarlets. Ulster weren't hugely disrupted by the World Cup and were hammered at home against a team who had much more disruption where they lose once in a blue moon in the Pro 12. Glasgow's performance is a big blow. Going to be a bleak year for the Pro 12 in the European Cup.

I think Lanelli lost about 6 or 7 guys to the rwc and then lost Scott Williams completely due to injury.

Yeah I don't think Ulster's problems are to do with the RWC they just don't have a quality pack anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

Not sure what's going on the English teams. They are really on fire this year. Maybe it's the boast with the world cup in their country or did they start their league later than usual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

RogerThis wrote: »
    Not sure what's going on the English teams. They are really on fire this year. Maybe it's the boast with the world cup in their country or did they start their league later than usual?

They started the league much later than usual, only got through 4 league games so far. They also got their internationals back first due to, ehm, other results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Scarlets were stuffed by Racing who lost at least 10 players to the RWC also. I don't think there's any doubt there's an ongoing slide in the quality in the Pro12 driven mostly by the money available to the other leagues.

Correct. It's a poor league. Probably no team from the PRO 12 would be in the top 6/8 sides now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Rightwing wrote: »
    Correct. It's a poor league. Probably no team from the PRO 12 would be in the top 6/8 sides now.

Except Munster of course

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    Except Munster of course

Well I'm very rarely wrong, so it would be nice if they could prove otherwise.

Do you mean in general life? Because that's certainly not true in your predictions on this forum!

Do you mean in general life? Because that's certainly not true in your predictions on this forum!

Let's not go off on tangents.

It is simply hard to look beyond a French team again this year. I've been saying that for the last few years, I don't think Toulon will oblige this year though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

I laughed....unfortunately, not good with broken ribs :)

• Advertisement

Let's not go off on tangents.

It is simply hard to look beyond a French team again this year. I've been saying that for the last few years, I don't think Toulon will oblige this year though.

The emergence of the English teams will weaken the French sides' ability to outbid everyone for talent. Now that talent is spread across 2 leagues things should slowly balance out again. The Pro 12 sides just need to produce and retain homegrown players to get back in touch now, the Welsh are finally getting there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ospreys
    The Welsh and the Scottish have always been as useless as a paper condom in Europe. It's unfortunate, though not particularly shocking they have come undone. The Leinster results reflect those of Ulster last year. Simply not being able to play European rugby. Indeed it is Munster we all look to. I hope the boys in red can keep the candle burning. Leicster look beatable.

The emergence of the English teams will weaken the French sides' ability to outbid everyone for talent. Now that talent is spread across 2 leagues things should slowly balance out again. The Pro 12 sides just need to produce and retain homegrown players to get back in touch now, the Welsh are finally getting there..

Slowly being the operative word. You probably wouldn't even get Evens for another all French final.

Ug0IjlF.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

What was Nakaitaci at there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

What was Nakaitaci at there?

He really is useless, far too many brain farts, anonymous games and defensive lapses.. Weirdly for a fijian he isnt even a physical specimen, how he plays for France with the depth they have is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Class from Strettle

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Clancy is a useless referee.

Irish teams very lucky they don't get refereed by this clown .....

Clancy is a useless referee.

Irish teams very lucky they don't get refereed by this clown .....

He really is awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Strettle puts his arm across first there, no? The follow up pull back was minimal imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement