Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015-16 Champions Cup thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Scarlets
    Scarlets have not managed to score while George North has been off.

Scarlets
    Decent enough game at Franklins Gardens. Some stupid errors. 7-6 to Northampton at half time.

Scarlets
    Scarlets butchered a great opportunity there, but got another chance and scored a try. Shindler can't kick at all tonight though.

Northampton fans roaring at Poite, but he doesn't have any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭stadedublinois

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I wonder when they'll resechdule the games?

There isn't another free club weekend (in both Pro12 and Top14) until 5th Feb but that's the same weekend the 6N starts.

After that it's the 18th March which is another 6N weekend.

The only free weekend after that is one scheduled for the ERC QF's.

One option would be to move a league weekend to the 6 nations weekend and use the freed up one for Europe (as long as the English league has a free weekend in the 6 nations).

Whatever they do it will be complicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Another really poor crowd at a Champions Cup match in Swansea tonight. I've watched 4 games this weekend and none of them have been sell outs or even close to it really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

bilston wrote: »
    Another really poor crowd at a Champions Cup match in Swansea tonight. I've watched 4 games this weekend and none of them have been sell outs or even close to it really.

I was going to a Challenge Cup match with about 10 team mates (we got strung along to LI v Agen). The weather since Thursday scared a bunch of them off, ended up being 4 of us there!

Scarlets
    I was thinking the same. There was a decent crowd in the RDS today, even though it was lunchtime on Sunday, a dreadful time for a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Ospreys
    Very poor misses from biggar. 2 chances straight in front missed.

Exeter up by 4 at half time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Very poor misses from biggar. 2 chances straight in front missed.

Exeter up by 4 at half time.

Every time I watch biggar and his pre kick routine, I feel itchy

Would I be right in thinking the YouTube of him and his routine to the Macarena has been published before? I only got to see it last week, I laughed myself sick

I really want the Ospreys to win this otherwise it will have been a very poor weekend for the Pro 12, albeit the Scarlets cane out of last night's game in decent order.

• Advertisement

Scarlets
    I really want the Ospreys to win this otherwise it will have been a very poor weekend for the Pro 12, albeit the Scarlets cane out of last night's game in decent order.

Me too, for the same reason. I actually don't much like the Ospreys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

While Ospreys haven't the biggest support base, to be fair this is TV dictating too much. Its a ridiculous time for a game, making it a nightmare for everyone and a non-runner for a lot of away fans. A defeat for Ospreys would turn a bad start to the season into a disaster. Top 4 looks a long shot and Top 6 will require work. I'm sure they've looked at this pool as relatively favourable but Exeter are not a side to be underestimated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

To be fair aside from Leinster's nightmare, Ulster and Glasgow didn't play and for everyone else it was a decent weekend.

Champions Cup
    Munster - 5 pointer albeit against a Pro 12 side
    Scarlets - could have taken Northampton but a losing bp isn't a bad result
    Ospreys - in progress
    Treviso - as competitive as could be hoped

Challenge Cup
    Connacht - 5 pointer
    Edinburgh - Comfortable win
    Dragons - Excellent BP win
    Cardiff - 5 pointer
    Zebre - denied Gloucester 4 try bonus, good weekend I'd say

Scarlets
    To be fair aside from Leinster's nightmare, Ulster and Glasgow didn't play and for everyone else it was a decent weekend.

Champions Cup
    Ospreys - in progress

Challenge Cup
    Connacht - 5 pointer
    Cardiff - 5 pointer
    Of those, the one I enjoyed most was the Connacht match!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Ospreys
    That intercept should give the Ospreys the win

Scarlets
    That intercept should give the Ospreys the win

Comfortable for them in the end.

Champions Cup
    Ospreys - in progress

Challenge Cup
    Connacht - 5 pointer
    Cardiff - 5 pointer

Well I was talking about the Champions Cup only but the Ospreys win puts a better shine on it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Bruce Craig, Bath Chairman, says the game against Toulon will never be played. Will be interesting to see if they can reschedule the games, midweek seems like the only option but Craig is definitely against any midweek fixture. Don't know what they can do if the game is not played.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/11997469/Paris-terror-attacks-Toulon-match-in-European-Champions-Cup-will-never-be-played-says-Bath-chairman.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ospreys
    Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Bruce Craig, Bath Chairman, says the game against Toulon will never be played. Will be interesting to see if they can reschedule the games, midweek seems like the only option but Craig is definitely against any midweek fixture. Don't know what they can do if the game is not played.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/11997469/Paris-terror-attacks-Toulon-match-in-European-Champions-Cup-will-never-be-played-says-Bath-chairman.html

It suggests in the article they use a mathematical formula to work out who would have won the game. Apparently a generally accepted formula can do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Well let them refuse to field players. They'll give up 5 points anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

“There are simply no free weekends available between now and the end of the season,” said Craig. “It is unacceptable that the international calendar does not take into account the domestic game.

Oh, wow. Take the opportunity afforded by what happened in Paris to have a go at international games. Class-y.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just call them all as draws. It's not that important in the grand scheme of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Ospreys
    Just call them all as draws. It's not that important in the grand scheme of things.

Probably not that easy. TV companies have paid for the coverage, sponsors have paid for the exposure, fans have paid for tickets. If Bruce Craig and the other club owners are called upon to fork out for refunds, then they might suddenly find themselves more disposed to a midweek game.

I understand his point though. The AP started very late to accommodate the world cup, presumably at the request of the RFU - the fixture backlog is not the clubs' fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

They want to share the points? Share the points from an away game to Toulon. Right.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Wasps

He's right about not being able to play 3 games in a week though, it'd wreck the players.

The Pro12 and Top14 do have 2 free weekends before the QF stage but these are international weekends. The Aviva is on both these weekends too.

Whatever solution the EPCR come up with the competition is compromised so people will just have to deal with that. There is no one great solution here, they're all crap.

• Advertisement

Craig makes two points

1) it is going to be nigh on impossible to reschedule this game

2) he has a dig at World Rugby about meaningless friendlies and the rugby calendar in general

One point is perfectly valid, the other is a very ill timed dig which was completely unnecessary at this time.

He's right about not being able to play 3 games in a week though, it'd wreck the players.

The Pro12 and Top14 do have 2 free weekends before the QF stage but these are international weekends. The Aviva is on both these weekends too.

Whatever solution the EPCR come up with the competition is compromised so people will just have to deal with that. There is no one great solution here, they're all crap.

Even for the likes of Ulster and Oyannax it is going to be hard to fit in the game. Ulster have games every weekend right through to the 6Ns. Either one of those gets rescheduled or we play midweek. I suppose we could play the weekend before the 6Ns starts but then we would be without several players so it is far from ideal.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Easier to reschedule a Pro 12 (and, to a lesser extent, the oppositions Top 14 game) to one of the Six Nations weekends, or even play the game on a Six Nations weekend, minus anyone called up to the national squads.

For Bath there is no doing this - their game against Toulon will have to be played mid week, full stop.

icdg wrote: »
    Easier to reschedule a Pro 12 (and, to a lesser extent, the oppositions Top 14 game) to one of the Six Nations weekends, or even play the game on a Six Nations weekend, minus anyone called up to the national squads.

For Bath there is no doing this - their game against Toulon will have to be played mid week, full stop.

Will the EPCR not want the games playes before the 6Ns start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

They want to share the points? Share the points from an away game to Toulon. Right.

Even if it wasn't Toulon, for any of the games to be done that way would be ridiculous. The other teams in the various groups would rightly be miffed.

It'll be rescheduled, they'll have to play. Anything else won't work. If they refuse to play, then they can be given 0 points, or thrown out of the competition, whichever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I imagine so, but the point really was that there is flexibility when it comes to the other two ties in terms of weekends/weekdays that Toulon v Bath doesn't have. Toulon v Bath must be played on a weeknight, end of. There isn't any room in the PRL calendar to do otherwise. In the end I think that they'll schedule them all for weeknights.

Scarlets
    And if we get some bad weather, bad enough to call off matches, we'll be rightly goosed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Wasps
    Craig makes two points

1) it is going to be nigh on impossible to reschedule this game

2) he has a dig at World Rugby about meaningless friendlies and the rugby calendar in general

One point is perfectly valid, the other is a very ill timed dig which was completely unnecessary at this time.

I think what he says about the international game is right. England played their first game of the season this year on 15 Aug and will play their last game of the season on 25 June. They'd probably have been in camp for 3-4 weeks, maybe even more, before that first game so that's a ridiculous schedule.

From the 16th Oct through to 2nd April there is a game every week for the English clubs. If an English were to make the SF in the ERC then it's a game a weekend until 7th May, which is when the Aviva play offs begin.

England hosting the RWC is the worst thing that could have happened for player welfare in that country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

only solution I can see is clubs who didnt play this weekend have league matches scheduled in such a way to end up playing on Friday-Thursdays- Tuesday-Sunday over a few weeks with the EC game on the midweek

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭stadedublinois

aimee1 wrote: »
    only solution I can see is clubs who didnt play this weekend have league matches scheduled in such a way to end up playing on Friday-Thursdays- Tuesday-Sunday over a few weeks with the EC game on the midweek

That looks like the best solution. Could even extend a week by going
    Friday-Thursday-Wednesday-Monday-Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I dunno if its the RWC, Toulon's dominance, Irish teams' performances, the whole Heineken Cup fiasco, the Sky-BT Sport split or the new format but ive certainly noticed a remarkable loss of interest in the European rugby games the past year or so. Certainly with people I know that buzz of a Heineken Cup weekend isnt around anymore.

Scarlets
    Winters wrote: »
    I dunno if its the RWC, Toulon's dominance, Irish teams' performances, the whole Heineken Cup fiasco, the Sky-BT Sport split or the new format but ive certainly noticed a remarkable loss of interest in the European rugby games the past year or so. Certainly with people I know that buzz of a Heineken Cup weekend isnt around anymore.

I thought there was a decent atmosphere when I arrived in the RDS yesterday, despite the awful time for a fixture. Then we had that performance, and everything fell very flat.

I think last year wasn't helped by the way they basically had to set up the tournament on the fly and this year hasn't been helped by the World Cup, and it has to be said the attacks in Paris took away from the excitement at the weekend.

The provinces are rebuilding a bit as well which means they aren't just as competitive. It is cyclical though. If rumours of signings at Ulster are true they should be challenging again next season and Leinster have a host of exciting young talent in Furlong, Van Der Flier, McGrath and Ringrose coming through that could make them stronger moving forward. I fancy Munster will make the knockouts this year.

Overexposure to rugby a bit imo.

Fatigued!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,371 ✭✭✭✭phog

In 2008, Munster had to play a rearranged midweek league game against Ulster. It was a Wednesday game sandwiched between a Cup SF on Sunday and a league game the following Saturday. All three games were away games for Munster.

Also, if I'm not mistaking hadn't Craig previously mentioned midweek games were the future?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Leinster
    Simon Thomas Verified account
    @simonrug

So the proposition is play the postponed European games in France on Nov 28-29, with Top14 games moved. Wonder what Bath will say now?

Wasps
    I don't fully understand that as Bath are away to Leicester that weekend in the Aviva

I don't fully understand that as Bath are away to Leicester that weekend in the Aviva

I think LNR have offered to move their game in the expectation PRL will follow suit. Really no excuse for PRL not to do so.

Wasps
    Where are PRL meant to move the game too?

I remember looking yesterday and didn't see any free weekends between now and the ERC QF weekend so it's still back to the 3 games in a week situation.

Where are PRL meant to move the game too?

I remember looking yesterday and didn't see any free weekends between now and the ERC QF weekend so it's still back to the 3 games in a week situation.

They're expected to play 3 games in a week I believe. Could really do with London Welsh being in the league this year, could play the game on the same day and send Bath's A team to Oxford.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Leinster
    Leinster v Ulster due to be played that weekend too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ospreys
    All of these logistical nightmares can be solved by just cancelling or moving one tour game (England v Aus) right? Or England just playing without premiership finalists in the first test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Just got a mail from Stade to say that Munster game this weekend is to be postponed :(

Scarlets
    jprender wrote: »
    Just got a mail from Stade to say that Munster game this weekend is to be postponed :(

Are you kidding?

No you're not:

https://twitter.com/SFParisRugby?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Leinster
    To avoid fixture congestion for Munster and Stade it might have been a better idea to switch the home and away legs thereby moving the weekend game to Thomond and then play the second game in France in a few weeks

Advertisement