Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIDL in Knocknacarra?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Bike parking at Aldi in KnocknaCarra is rubbish. It’s like a 4 year old designed it OR somebody who has never locked a bike in their life. Racks too close together.

Off topic but excellent point made by Beardybrewer re entrance to underground carparks.
    Where has common sense gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

Collision there this morning between a car and a delivery truck, it seemed like the delivery truck was reversing across the entrance (to get to the loading ramp) and clipped a car that was exiting.

very poor design on the part of the architect/designer, seems very silly to have the delivery loading ramp located at the entrance/exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Couldn't agree more but why stop there? Westside Aldi?
    B&Q/Dunnes have the same problem as Wellpark: why not have an entrance to the underground carpark right as you turn in? Instead you have to deal with the idiots that fight over the surface spots and waste 10 minutes to go underground to an empty carpark.
    Agreed. It's like they want you to drive past the shops to show them off before you're allowed to park downstairs. It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

For sale signs up on the land in question so must have decided to go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

I think it was last week some time i saw a few lads in hard hats on the land. looked like they were taking core samples

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭what_traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Fair play to the residents for fighting their corner. However the council would want to have a long hard look at their overall policy.

We have a so called plan to close 50% of the bridges in the town. However half the town will be left with one bridge to cross to do the weekly shopping in lidl. No public transport options no bike options no option to walk.

How they let Aldi open in knocknacarra without ensuring they closed the wayside branch and allowed lidl open there is just madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

It was a pretty badly chosen place anyway.

The "hole in the ground" would be a more obvious choice and a good location for more retail. Not to mention removing an eyesore :)

I think this plot of land seems to be a curse for developers.

http://connachttribune.ie/serious-concerns-knocknacarra-development-proposal-017/

it's actually good to see the planners doing their jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

What a monstrosity, I'm glad it's been held up.
    It planned to have vehicular access from the Ballymoneen Road and via the Learg?n development on the Distributor Road, as well as pedestrian access from the Distributor Road.

Here we go again with the access on the Ballymoneen Rd. Our estate fought hard to have access moved to the Western Distributor. I had no idea about the new proposal.

Thank god the city planners did their job for a change and held it up. Pure greed trying to squeeze so much in that space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,612 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Seeking pp now adjacent Aldi on WDR/Bóthar Stiofán roundabout.
    about 1.3km east from the original site mentioned in thread

The West Side's version of Headford Road retail

zell12 wrote: »
    Seeking pp now adjacent Aldi on WDR/Bóthar Stiofán roundabout.
    about 1.3km east from the original site mentioned in thread

The West Side's version of Headford Road retail

http://connachttribune.ie/lidl-bids-to-be-aldis-neighbour-in-new-knocknacarra-plan-300/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Put in a KFC and a cinema as well and I'll know where my 'kids' are for the rest of my life!

It's not clear to me if they are talking about the site that is in front or behind the current Aldi, or am I completely wrong in the proposed location?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Bredabe wrote: »

It's not clear to me if they are talking about the site that is in front or behind the current Aldi, or am I completely wrong in the proposed location?

That depends on your point of view ;)

Judging by the photo of the site in the article, we are talking about the site to the West of Aldi on the Bothar Stiofan side. But I could be wrong!

Would love a Lidl west of the river, but I'm sure the planning process will be lengthy. Objections from Joyce's and other parties will have to be dealt with.

Objections from Joyce's and other parties will have to be dealt with.

Expect something from RGData, their mouthpiece, soon

It's at the roundabout. Between Aldi and Bothar Stiofan.
    Standard pp sign erected on the WDR inbound side.

Are KFC not scheduled to go in the Dunnes carpark?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Read on from here and it gives a reasonable picture of the phase 2 of the knocknacarra retail park:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106833486#post106833486

As we're in the neighbourhood here's a recent article about the park planned near St John NS (across the way of the same roundabout in question):

http://connachttribune.ie/plans-progress-for-new-neighbourhood-park-in-knocknacarra-165/

Read on from here and it gives a reasonable picture of the phase 2 of the knocknacarra retail park:
    They had planned a KFC though
    http://connachttribune.ie/nama-set-to-expand-shopping-centre-next-year-011/

Site being cleared and hardcore's just after aldi Knocknacarra, the site in behind the hoarding.

Edit. Not the space that is supposed to be where lidl is going.

No it's the other side.

• Advertisement

topcat77 wrote: »
    No it's the other side.

That was the reason for my edit. To clarify that it wasn't the lidl location. Might be a compound for some other job but unlikely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

westgolf wrote: »
    That was the reason for my edit. To clarify that it wasn't the lidl location. Might be a compound for some other job but unlikely though.

It’s the site compound for Phase 2 (the deep excavation beside Dunnes):

https://connachttribune.ie/harvey-norman-to-become-anchor-tenant-in-knocknacarra-retail-park-200/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Paddico

westgolf wrote: »

It’s the site compound for Phase 2 (the deep excavation beside Dunnes):

https://connachttribune.ie/harvey-norman-to-become-anchor-tenant-in-knocknacarra-retail-park-200/
    Go HARVEY GO

Decision due tomorrow (30th)

topcat77 wrote: »
    Decision due tomorrow (30th)

Any word on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Any word on this?

Nothing on the Galway City Planning site. No decision due date is shown anymore and the Planning Status is FURTHER INFORMATION.
    Planning number is 18224, if you want to have a look yourself.

I believe by looking at the application is that a decision has been made "FURTHER INFORMATION"

'Further Information' is requested if the Planning Authority consider it is necessary to gain additional information in order to make a decision on the application. The applicant must reply to each point of the request for 'Further Information' fully, within six months of the request being made.

It hasn't been shot down but i'd think that the applicant will have to address some of the issues that have been brought up by any objectors "local residents or local businesses".

Nothing on the Galway City Planning site. No decision due date is shown anymore and the Planning Status is FURTHER INFORMATION.
    Planning number is 18224, if you want to have a look yourself.

Thanks, that no will be a big help, I was looking on gcc planning yes and I could only find info from 24/8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

topcat77 wrote:
    Joyce (RGDATA)

Surely with all the shops Joyce is running throughout galway he can no longer be seen as a small retailer!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement