Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIDL in Knocknacarra?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

There was a piece in the Sentinel last week or the previous week. It's the site off the roundabout.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Is that greenfield site zoned for shops????

Aldi failed to get permission near B&Q 2 years back ...in a zoned area.

Aldi secured planning on that site beside Monkey Business

Yeah but it was overturned at An Bord Pleanála. What is the zoning on that Ballymoneen site does anyone know??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Is that greenfield site zoned for shops????

I believe it is zoned commercial.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Yeah but it was overturned at An Bord Pleanála. What is the zoning on that Ballymoneen site does anyone know??

Incorrect. The Board approved it.

soundbyte wrote: »
    Incorrect. The Board approved it.

Begod they did, I assumed it had failed to pass the Bord Pleanála. What happened since...that was over 2 years ago.

Last I heard, there was a contractual delay with Touchstone, who were to operate the primary healthcare centre.

soundbyte wrote: »
    Last I heard, there was a contractual delay with Touchstone, who were to operate the primary healthcare centre.

Not surprised, James O'Reilly ignored the development on his Primary Care 'priority' list too.

http://www.thejournal.ie/stimulus-plan-20-primary-care-facilities-35-towns-524152-Jul2012/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Galwaystar

The planning notice for this has been put up. It's on the Ballymoneen Rd, near the roundabout opposite Portacarron.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mannix1888

Any news on a Tesco for the westside of Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Badly needed to shake things up if true

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

There's a photo of what it will look like here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/endacunningham/status/259661900164509696

A5qBH1mCMAAuhVY.jpg

The problem with the application, file 12268, is where the entrance is. Anyone who drives from the Western Distributor Blake roundabout down Ballymoneen knows this is a steep hill with entrances to many houses and estates. We already have a problem with residents speeding down the hill making it difficult to exit your property and turn on to the Ballymoneen Rd. I think it will create a danger to introduce more traffic to Ballymoneen Rd. If the entrance was on the Western Distributor Rd it wouldn't be a problem as it is a larger road, flat, relatively quiet, and could better handle the traffic.

The problem is the planning muppets don't like entrances to commercial zones on what they consider a main artery. This instead leads us to traffic bottlenecks on small ancillary roads (Aldi Westside being a great example).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

newkie wrote: »
    Yes, I heard it from a friend of a friend: Lidl is contemplating the site adjacent to the Western Distributor and Ballymoneen Roads.

https://maps.google.ie/maps/myplaces?ll=53.266766,-9.118652&spn=0.004691,0.009452&ctz=-60&t=h&z=17&iwloc=A

I wouldn't surprise me if they possibly made an enquiry, as they probably make dozens of enquiries about potential sites.

Anyone hear anything?

i gather the natives are protesting as they believe it lowers the tone of the place

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Fuinseog wrote: »
    i gather the natives are protesting as they believe it lowers the tone of the place

Is that possible?

Someone called in Knocknatallagh in another thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Fuinseog wrote: »
    Perish the thought :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Galwaystar

There is a public meeting planned for Wednesday, 9PM at Knocknacarra Primary School.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Any news no if this is going ahead? It's been a while since I or my neighbours have heard anything about it.

• Advertisement

The link to the application just says pending further information.

http://gis.galwaycity.ie/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=12268

I'll inquire with my neighbour who heads the resident's association. She usually knows these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

Seems idiotic to me to plonk such a development at that location when there is already a commercial cluster at Dunnes/B&Q site. Off course I'm speaking from an aesthetic/environmental perspective which I suppose isn't top of planners priorities.
    In saying that though I'll be glad to see it coming to the area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Could they not fill in that fecking eyesore unintentional reservoir beside Dunnes first and then put it there if necessary?

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Could they not fill in that fecking eyesore unintentional reservoir beside Dunnes first and then put it there if necessary?
    I doubt Dunnes Stores would agree to that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

amiable wrote: »
    I doubt Dunnes Stores would agree to that
    Do Dunnes own it, or the developers of the whole site?
    Either way, the council should force them to either fill it in or sell it.
    It's been there for what, 5 years now?

I don't think they own it but I'd imagine they'd have a big say though in what happens there. I'm speculating of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Thanks newkie. I'm only down the road from the site and with it and proposed school the traffic would increase and the cars already speed down the road so its a bit of a concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

No, Dunnes don't own it. A private Dublin-based developer owns it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Dunnes hole has a thread here with info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

noticed that the site notice on the ballymoneen road wall is gone if this means anything.. suppose should expect the yellow notice up soon if they submit any significant changes to the original plans

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement