Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MATCH THREAD: Bath vs Leinster, Sat 21st Nov 2015 15:15, The Rec, BTEUR

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

That's a fair statement ......

I am hoping Ross Byrne is able to do at senior level what he does at U20s. We'll know in a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

errlloyd wrote: »
    I am hoping Ross Byrne is able to do at senior level what he does at U20s. We'll know in a year or two.
    Will he ever get an opportunity?

If Sexton doesn't play Madigan gets the spot !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Also ..... just a thought ladies and gents ..... but I think Sexton's better days might well be behind him.

Why do you think that?

Will he ever get an opportunity?

If Sexton doesn't play Madigan gets the spot !!!

He's behind Marsh too! He started one game during the WC. He was crap. It was away to Scarlets. He wasn't striking the ball from hand very well and was falling well short of touch. We had a late resurgence in that game when Marsh replaced him.

But like all Leinster fans, when the starting OH plays badly, you can always blame Isaac Boss. If Madigan ends up going to Quins and Sexton has some international duties than he's only one injury away from a good few opportunities to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ross Byrne should be focused on the A team this year and getting as much game time as he can. Senoir rugby isn't going to do much for him at this stage.

• Advertisement

Ross Byrne should be focused on the A team this year and getting as much game time as he can. Senoir rugby isn't going to do much for him at this stage.

Agreed, he should be hoping to get an opportunity at senior rugby again during the 2016 AIs. Perhaps another few minutes during this years 6N.

Agreed, he should be hoping to get an opportunity at senior rugby again during the 2016 AIs. Perhaps another few minutes during this years 6N.

This years 6N is the 2016 6N!

But we have Marsh who deserves more gametime based on the beginning of the season. He' be my no. 2 choice at 10 to be honest at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

This years 6N is the 2016 6N!

But we have Marsh who deserves more gametime based on the beginning of the season. He' be my no. 2 choice at 10 to be honest at the moment.

Mine too. I'm assuming errloyd just means that Byrne should get some time off the bench during the 6 Nations, which we should be able to manage in games like Zebre in the RDS.

Yeah, I don't expect him to start again, but I do expect him to replace Marsh off the bench a handful of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Teferi wrote: »
    Why do you think that?
    Why do I think that?

I suppose a number of reasons ......

He's thirty now and has experienced a number of injuries over the last couple of years ..... Concussion included.

World class sidekick gone .... As pointed out by Hagz. (I played @10 for years - it goes without saying that you need a competitive pack in front of you. But you also need a decent 9, 12 & 13. You need them to draw defenders .... to enable your game flow).

Two lost years in France ......

Teams can cope with the contestable kicking game ..... And his running patterns have been worked out too. The loop is easy to defend if you know it's coming .... With Sexton you know it's coming.

But I guess it's just by observing him over the last year or so. He seems to have plateaued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Why do I think that?

I suppose a number of reasons ......

He's thirty now and has experienced a number of injuries over the last couple of years ..... Concussion included.

World class sidekick gone .... As pointed out by Hagz. (I played @10 for years - it goes without saying that you need a competitive pack in front of you. But you also need a decent 9, 12 & 13. You need them to draw defenders .... to enable your game flow).

Two lost years in France ......

Teams can cope with the contestable kicking game ..... And his running patterns have been worked out too. The loop is easy to defend if you know it's coming .... With Sexton you know it's coming.

But I guess it's just by observing him over the last year or so. He seems to have plateaued.

Not sure he is past it yet but there is no doubt that his play in 2015 is far from his best and well below standard expected no getting away from that at all but that could be said about 10 to 12 others in the Leinster team as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

I'd agree with PB. Sexton hasn't looked near his best in a long while. Things didn't pan out for him at Racing, fair enough, but he looked pretty flat in the warm-ups and didn't set the RWC on fire at all.

Problem with judging Sexton is that you never know if he's fully fit, carrying a concussion or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I'd agree with PB. Sexton hasn't looked near his best in a long while. Things didn't pan out for him at Racing, fair enough, but he looked pretty flat in the warm-ups and didn't set the RWC on fire at all.

Problem with judging Sexton is that you never know if he's fully fit, carrying a concussion or what.

Maybe I'm misremebering but I recall he was very good in the 2015 6N?

Agree he has been below standard since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'd have Biggar ahead of him and possibly Ford too, certainly based off of the WC. He probably could do with a break from rugby, which could be said for quite a few players. Leinster look very flat at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I'd have Biggar ahead of him and possibly Ford too, certainly based off of the WC. He probably could do with a break from rugby, which could be said for quite a few players. Leinster look very flat at the moment.
    I think you've nailed it there about players looking like they need a break. As I remember it, Sexton was very good in the six nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭wise7

He's behind Marsh too! He started one game during the WC. He was crap. It was away to Scarlets. He wasn't striking the ball from hand very well and was falling well short of touch. We had a late resurgence in that game when Marsh replaced him.

But like all Leinster fans, when the starting OH plays badly, you can always blame Isaac Boss. If Madigan ends up going to Quins and Sexton has some international duties than he's only one injury away from a good few opportunities to start.
    A bit harsh on Byrne given his consistently high standard performances at Ireland U-20's over 2 seasons and last year in his appearances for Leinster A. One bad and very uncharacteristic performance with ball out of hand and he's labelled ''crap''? Forgetting he came through rehab over a few months for his back injury which kept him out of this year's JWC and had precious few game minutes ahead of the Scarlets game. Watching him in recent weeks for Leinster A he is returning to form very nicely.

wise7 wrote: »
    A bit harsh on Byrne given his consistently high standard performances at Ireland U-20's over 2 seasons and last year in his appearances for Leinster A. One bad and very uncharacteristic performance with ball out of hand and he's labelled ''crap''? Forgetting he came through rehab over a few months for his back injury which kept him out of this year's JWC and had precious few game minutes ahead of the Scarlets game. Watching him in recent weeks for Leinster A he is returning to form very nicely.

His performance against Scarlets was "crap". That doesn't mean he's not an excellent prospect and it doesn't mean his other performances haven't been good.

He's 4th choice, he's not going to get much gametime, that's just he way it is. Marsh deserves more goes before him for now anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

wise7 wrote: »

Read it again. It said he was crap against Scarlets, not that he is crap.

Advertisement