Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

awec wrote: »
    Absolutely disgusted. Walked out at about 74 mins I was so furious.

Sorry, but that's poor form awec imo

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

lots of players gone missing tonight.
    only players who come out with any credibility is nick williams and rory best

Yeah both played well. I was surprised at Williams as most of his good play was in the rucks and not carrying the ball.

Not a good night for the guys who want to break into the Ireland squad. Gilroy was a bit iffy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Yeah both played well. I was surprised at Williams as most of his good play was in the rucks and not carrying the ball.

Not a good night for the guys who want to break into the Ireland squad. Gilroy was a bit iffy.

I thought Gilroy had a pretty shocking night.

We saw very little of Henderson - one good burst, but not much else.

Very disappointing performance.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I was trying to be nice to him :o

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

wp_rathead wrote: »

Freezing cold, raining. No way I was staying to watch more of that rubbish.

Managed to catch the earlier train :pac:

• Advertisement

Em, isn't Kiss defence coach for Ireland? The defence from Ulster this evening was pathetic at times this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

wp_rathead wrote: »

if you go often to games I feel you are within reason to leave early if you are not happy with the product on the pitch. At the end of the day its a product they are selling you. Like sending a sh1t meal back to the chef in a restaurant

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    if you go often to games I feel you are within reason to leave early if you are not happy with the product on the pitch. At the end of the day its a product they are selling you. Like sending a sh1t meal back to the chef in a restaurant

If they want us to stay to 80 minutes then give us something worth watching. That was hard to watch.

The droves of people leaving on 70 mins and beyond should hopefully send a message to Ulster Rugby tonight. That was dire.

If they want us to stay to 80 minutes then give us something worth watching. That was hard to watch.

i agree that ulster have been on the slide for a few years. I believe Irish provinces have been on the slide during the same period. You could argue for connacht but I believe some of their turnaround is to do with the overall drop in quality in the Pro12.

In the Pro12 Ulster look like a decent side. Outside of that we look well out of our depth. We've had players leave or retire and never replaced them with like for like. I can't see much changing as Ulster rugby are rolling in it. Free stadium, job's for the boys and huge season ticket sales! It all looks rosey on a spreadsheet.

The droves of people leaving on 70 mins and beyond should hopefully send a message to Ulster Rugby tonight. That was dire.
    Like last Sunday in the RDS....loads of people seemed to leave early, and I wouldn't blame them....and we didn't have to put up with the weather you guys had tonght. Let's face it, we go to matches to be entertained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,812 ✭✭✭✭bilston

i agree that ulster have been on the slide for a few years. I believe Irish provinces have been on the slide during the same period. You could argue for connacht but I believe some of their turnaround is to do with the overall drop in quality in the Pro12.

In the Pro12 Ulster look like a decent side. Outside of that we look well out of our depth. We've had players leave or retire and never replaced them with like for like. I can't see much changing as Ulster rugby are rolling in it. Free stadium, job's for the boys and huge season ticket sales! It all looks rosey on a spreadsheet.

The problem starts with the front row.

We've replaced Court and Afoa with Black and Herbst. It's a huge contrast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

bilston wrote: »
    The problem starts with the front row.

We've replaced Court and Afoa with Black and Herbst. It's a huge contrast.

I don't think herbst is too bad but black isn't great.
    I had to turn it off after the third try. As bad as ulster were, it's worse when it's saracens that are winning.
    Ulster are going backwards fast. Ruan, Rory, Chris H, Trimble and Bowe are getting to the latter stages of their careers and we have nothing coming into the pack.
    I don't know what Kiss is going to bring but for a start can he eradicate the passing of the ball to a player who is standing still. The contrast from a few weeks ago when George Smith was passing the ball about 12 inches in front of his team mates, practically forcing them to take the ball at pace.

I wouldn't be too hard on Kiss yet, he's probably only had a handful of actual training sessions with them so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Very poor second half from Ulster. Can't see any of the provinces going anywhere this year

Aye, criticism of Kiss is a bit harsh at this stage. I think tonight's game is still a bit raw. I reckon Kiss will do well for us given time but he certainly needs more than two games to make his mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Disappointing result tonight, no question about that. Sarries are good, but shouldn't just crumble. Can't see any of the provinces do a whole lot.

I remain pessimistic.

the guys on UAFC are reporting the Stadium announcer will not be returning for Home games after the farce vs Saracens....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

the guys on UAFC are reporting the Stadium announcer will not be returning for Home games after the farce vs Saracens....

What happened?

What happened?

I wasn't at the game but from what i gather he miss-pronounced (badly) quite a few of the players names (both Ulster and Sarcens). He also tried to start chants which were a bit cringy. I think it killed the atmosphere at the start of the game.

People complained but the anger stems from frustration at Ulster Rugby selling sponsorship of absolutely anything they can. Making a fortune and then turning out dross on the pitch.

The announcer is from Q Radio. Ulster just signed a deal with them I believe (Sponsorship). The guy was probably thrown in to do announcing with no Rugby knowledge or interest in the team or game, feel a bit sorry for him tbh.

He seems like a bit of a scape goat, albeit not being able to pronounce the names is pretty poor if that is your fecking job!

Didn't something aimilar at the Aviva?

I just think the stadium announcer just needs to get information across amd not worry about amything else.

A simple "Try for Ulster's No.8 Nick Williams converted by No.10 Paddy Jackson, Ulster lead Leinster by 527 points to Nil" will suffice. But then maybe I'm old fashioned.

• Advertisement

The half time talk last Friday night was a complete joke and I actually felt sorry for the bloke. He was clearly under instruction to try get the crowd going. He tried to get people singing and stuff, all very cringeworthy.

Right lads...

Can we try an pick ourselves up for this Leinster game!!!

maxresdefault.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Rory Best signs a two year contract extension. Good news for everyone. He's still playing to a high standard.

Ulster team for tomorrow

15 Pete Nelson
    14 Andrew Trimble
    13 Darren Cave
    12 Stuart McCloskey
    11 Craig Gilroy
    10 Paddy Jackson
    9 Ruan Pienaar
    1 Kyle McCall
    2 Rory Best
    3 Wiebhan Herbst
    4 Dan Tuohy
    5 Iain Henderson
    6 Robbie Diack
    7 Sean Reidy
    8 Nick Williams

Why is Hendo at lock? That back row is awful.

Bit rough on Munster that they aren't allowed to sign Stephen Moore even though Rory has signed a new two year contract. I think they can be rightly pissed at that decision by Nucifora.

Why is Hendo at lock? That back row is awful.

They could get schooled. I still think Reidy suffers from being bracketed with Ross, he is a much better player than that, but it is a big drop off from Henry to Reidy.

Edit - Why is there a thumbs down on my post. I feel hurt and offended...at least it's a red hand...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Bit rough on Munster that they aren't allowed to sign Stephen Moore even though Rory has signed a new two year contract. I think they can be rightly pissed at that decision by Nucifora.

Yeah, and at Moore's age it's not like he's going to be keeping players out of teams for a decade. He's probably only got 2/3 years left in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ulster have 2 back rows on the bench, are they struggling for locks at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Moore isnt IQ best is. Munster have too many medical jokers as it is and a good young hooked in niall scannel and are believed to have signed IQ George mcguigan from Newcastle who is a huge talent

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Moore isnt IQ best is. Munster have too many medical jokers as it is and a good young hooked in niall scannel and are believed to have signed IQ George mcguigan from Newcastle who is a huge talent

My point is if Best has signed a two year central contract amd Cronin and Strauss are younger than him then I don't see why Moore can't join Munster. Someone like Casey could learn a lot from him. Yes Munster have a few medical jokers but presumably they'd have gone by the time Moore.got there.

I don't know a lot about McGuigan but Moore is the Australian captain and one of the best hookers in the world. I wouldn't be happy if I was a Munster fan.

So Best is with Ulster for another two years which is great. Means Herring has two years to get every last piece of hooking knowledge out of Best...

So Best is with Ulster for another two years which is great. Means Herring has two years to get every last piece of hooking knowledge out of Best...

Hopefully but he may get itchy feet. On the plus side of Herring starts asking the question of Rory then it is a win win

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Oyonnax game has been rescheduled for weekend January 8/9/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

They could get schooled. I still think Reidy suffers from being bracketed with Ross, he is a much better player than that, but it is a big drop off from Henry to Reidy.

Edit - Why is there a thumbs down on my post. I feel hurt and offended...at least it's a red hand...

They'll get annihilated in the loose. It's the selection of a cretin imo. they should have played Diack in the second row if they are in need and Henderson at 6. Where the feck is O'Connor? He Doak caught him diddling his Corgi?

What's a 'thumbs down'? I don't think I've seen that before.

• Advertisement

jacothelad wrote: »
    They'll get annihilated in the loose. It's the selection of a cretin imo. they should have played Diack in the second row if they are in need and Henderson at 6. Where the feck is O'Connor? He Doak caught him diddling his Corgi?

What's a 'thumbs down'? I don't think I've seen that before.

The O'Connor thing doesn't make any sense. He was good last year, he has an edge to.his game. We need that.

The O'Connor thing doesn't make any sense. He was good last year, he has an edge to.his game. We need that.

I heard he's being carrying a succession of injuries and may not get back to pro12 level...although its a rumour

Also, I believe Herbie Hancock could be lookin a new province soon if he doesn't pull his socks up. He's been tom kite every game he's played this season.

I heard he's being carrying a succession of injuries and may not get back to pro12 level...although its a rumour

Also, I believe Herbie Hancock could be lookin a new province soon if he doesn't pull his socks up. He's been tom kite every game he's played this season.

I wonder if Herbst's heart is in it.

On the plus side McCall continues to impress with every game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I wonder if Herbst's heart is in it.

On the plus side McCall continues to impress with every game.

It may well be that his family are unsettled here. That would make it very difficult for him to be at the top of his game. It's hard to reconcile his play this season with last. There is such a difference. He looks distracted to be honest and in those circumstances it's easy to be lacking in concentration. McCall was excellent and got more and more in to the game. In the first scrum, Lacey penalised Ulster but watching it in slow motion, it was McCall getting under Furlong and shoving him in the air that resulted in Leinster going up.

It was a relatively poor showing from both teams but even so, realistically, Ulster were very lucky not to be back-scuttled. There were so many times when Ulster players simply put the head down and took the wrong option. So many times when there was no support. There are rarely cool heads when the game get's furious. Wilson seems to get it wrong multiple times in every game he now plays. Why does Diack still go into contact standing up? He could be a much more useful player if his 18 stone was delivered in a much lower body position. He is a really talented player but seems as soft as candy floss in some ways.

Anyway, as expected from a team seemingly without any focus and lacking a hard edge, the resultant loss wasn't as bad as it might have been.

A few negatives then to start with

1) Diack is so soft, he was knocked backwards three times in a minute last night, it was hard to watch to be honest. We knew that already though.

2) Reidy may be an upgrade on Ross in that he can tackle but he doesn't do a lot else, he'll do against the weaker Pro 12 teams but this was a step up for him.

3) Herbst has deteriorated so much. Why? Anyway without a decent TH we are going to struggle.

4) There is a lack of creativity in the midfield.

Solutions?

1) Henderson to 6

2) Play Henry in the big games

3) Play Lutton

4) Wait for Olding to return, although I'd prefer to see him at FB which in itself might create more space for the midfield anyway as we'd have different options.

Positives
    1) Kyle McCall is looking the part, this was his biggest test yet and he did well. It's a shame two years of his career was wasted by trying to convert him to hooker, nevertheless he is young enough to have a good career still.

2) Peter Nelson looks more at home with every game, he is becoming very dependable at the back and actually even if we weren't signing Piutau I'd probably let Ludik go with the knowledge that we have Nelson. Is he our first choice FB now? His kicking from hand is better than either half back at the moment and he can hit a mile as well. He also put in a great try saving tackle on Ruddock in the first in the build up to the Te'o drop.

3) It was only one moment, but Trimble's second half break was encouraging, it's taken him a while but hopefully he is on the verge of hitting his straps post injury.

4) We defended fairly well.

It could have been worse, on paper we got a LBP at the RDS so it's not the end of the world, but to be honest that was a pretty average Leinster team.

The difference for Leinster is that they have three or four cracking youngsters in Furlong, Van Der Flier, McGrath and Ringrose and seem to be a team rebuilding. I'm not even sure you could say we are rebuilding, we are just sort of bumbling along doing nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

McCloskey/cave didn't seem to work too well last night. McCloskey was in his usual beast mode breaking the gain line but there seemed to be no support from cave, if Ulster can get McCloskey offloading to whoever is outside him ye could really exploit defences as it takes 2 men just to stop him.
    McCloskey/Arnold worth a shot for the next game?

case885 wrote: »
    McCloskey/cave didn't seem to work too well last night. McCloskey was in his usual beast mode breaking the gain line but there seemed to no support from cave, if Ulster can get McCloskey offloading to whoever is outside him ye could really exploit defences as it takes 2 men just to stop him.
    McCloskey/Arnold worth a shot for the next game?

Arnold isn't ready yet.

McCloskey played pretty well and did cause Leinster problems. He was probably our most effective carrier. One thing I noticed last night was PJ had reverted back to his bad habit of lying too deep. He hasn't done that recently, but it doesn't do much for the outside backs. However giving him the benefit of the doubt I think it's down to the fact the pack weren't punching many holes in the Leinster defence and slow ball with no gaps is hard to play with.

We just gotta pray olding is the messiah and everything will be fine wen he returns....

What ever happened to Dow and Taggart?

I think bilston has hit the nail on the head...We are just bumbling along. We'll stick 30 plus points at home on the Italians or a weak Welsh side but when it comes to the bigger and better sides we will be found wanting.

Haven't seen the match but sounds like the same old crap. UAFC bemoaning Henderson being completely wasted in the second row, Diack as tough and rugged as a melted marshmallow, Reidy useless, Tuohy woeful, Herbst can't scrum.

Which is unsurprising, it's the same nonsense we've been subjected to for ages. I really worry that Kiss is playing Hendo in the row because he was told to do it for Ireland, he needs to be told to wise up. Admittedly I haven't seen it, but again UAFC saying Hendo is wasting his energy pushing in the scrum and it nullifies his threat around the field. The same thing we've been saying for ages.

Also our attack sounds like it was crap. Again. Easily happens when you have a defensive coach and a hopeless coach running the show.

We are going backwards, bumbling along is kind. Logan needs to be shown the door. Doak needs to go. We need an attack coach and a better skills coach. Henderson is a 6 and that is the end of the matter. We need to sign about 4 quality players.

We're going to end up in the challenge cup next year the way things are going.

Haven't seen the match but sounds like the same old crap. UAFC bemoaning Henderson being completely wasted in the second row, Diack as tough and rugged as a melted marshmallow, Reidy useless, Tuohy woeful, Herbst can't scrum.

Which is unsurprising, it's the same nonsense we've been subjected to for ages. I really worry that Kiss is playing Hendo in the row because he was told to do it for Ireland, he needs to be told to wise up. Admittedly I haven't seen it, but again UAFC saying Hendo is wasting his energy pushing in the scrum and it nullifies his threat around the field. The same thing we've been saying for ages.

Also our attack sounds like it was crap. Again. Easily happens when you have a defensive coach and a hopeless coach running the show.

We are going backwards, bumbling along is kind. Logan needs to be shown the door. Doak needs to go. We need an attack coach and a better skills coach. Henderson is a 6 and that is the end of the matter. We need to sign about 4 quality players.

We're going to end up in the challenge cup next year the way things are going.

Hendo is completely nulified playing in the row. End the experiment now. The problem for hendo is when he plays lock he's still better than most other locks, but he could be immense at 6.

Logan hasn't spoke or made an appearance in a very long time, what is the point of him?

There is a reason Humphries took other coaches with him but left doak..!

It was a poor showing from both sides tbh.

We are fast becoming an average side...how the hell this is happening when we have some brilliant young backs and Hendo, Henry and Best as well.
    Olding returning will be a boost alright and I suppose if Piteau comes it will strengthen us further but our pack is so lightweight it's not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I would have serious questions about your halfbacks game management last night, didn't realize till half time how strong the wind was, the flags were deceptive from the grandstand, why Jackson wasn't pinning Leinster back in the 22 is beyond me. Your back line still looked far more dangerous with the ball in hand than ours though, at least your skills training extends to passing the ball.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement