Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber Boards in Cork.

Options
  • 06-08-2020 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

I was wondering where is the best place to get timber boards in Cork? I’m putting up garage shelving. Ideally I’m looking for boards that are 3m x 0.3m, or thereabouts. If I can’t get this size I might use, say, two 2.4m x 0.15m boards. I went to B&Q as I live nearby but their shelves were nearly empty. No wide boards (>0.1m), and only a few narrow boards (<0.1m). I asked at the desk and he said it was very busy over the BHW, noticed himself that the shelves were sparse, and said it could be two or three weeks before they get stock in. Woodies wasn’t much better.
    Do any of the builders providers have their timber in display, say Brooks or McMahons? Or do I discuss the size ranges at the counter? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,979 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I do all my supply shopping in Brooks when I can, they are sound.

You can get 6x1 (150mm x 22mm) planed in 4.8m lengths.

https://brooksonline.ie/22mmx150mm-1x6-whitewood-planed-timber-pw022150

they have 9x1 too, not sure they readily stock though.

When your collecting go through the boards yourself or you'll end up with a few twisty ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snottybridge

Builders providers are probably you're best bet for what you're looking for, just go to the counter and tell them what you want, I've always found them cheaper than woodies and the like for timber aswell.

Builders providers are probably you're best bet for what you're looking for, just go to the counter and tell them what you want, I've always found them cheaper than woodies and the like for timber aswell.

the only time I'd use a DIY store for timber would be to get sheets of MDF cut in BnQ. Save ya a lot of work!

Builders providers always cheaper for materials.

Thats another option OP, go into BnQ and get them to cut up sheets of plywood to size for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

Yeah, I’d considered this too but it seems their sawing machine is out of order at present, having been off-limits for a time post-lockdown.
    Thanks everyone.

rob316 wrote: »

When your collecting go through the boards yourself or you'll end up with a few twisty ones!

Yeah, I’ll do that. That’s one advantage of B&Q/Woodies.
    You can easily pick out a dozen boards (well, usually) and flip them over on the floor to get the straight ones. Then put back the knotty ones too.

Would I get away with this in Brooks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

As you get them in the warehouse in Brooks just check them and hand back any you aren't happy with. They are very helpful.
    Their overall quality seems to be poor though or I am too fussy though. Lots of split and warped boards and I end up handing back at least half before I am happy. But again they are happy for you to approve the ones you take so it just means a few extra minutes.

Gautama wrote: »
    Yeah, I’ll do that. That’s one advantage of B&Q/Woodies.
    You can easily pick out a dozen boards (well, usually) and flip them over on the floor to get the straight ones. Then put back the knotty ones too.

Would I get away with this in Brooks?

Ya pick away through the boards

Gautama wrote: »
    Yeah, I’d considered this too but it seems their sawing machine is out of order at present, having been off-limits for a time post-lockdown.
    Thanks everyone.

Was in B&Q yesterday for something else. Swung by the sawing area and it’s working again.
    €42 for a sheet 2400 x 1220 x 18 plywood.
    I’d get four shelves from one of those. Not bad.

Overheard a worker saying it’d be September before they get restocked with timber!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

T&A in Blackpool have a great timber yard and are extremely helpful. Good prices, too. (no affiliation)

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I've always used brooks. Check online before going in, pay at the counter, and wander into the warehouse and either find the boards myself, or ask a member of staff. I've always brought a cordless skill saw and chopped them to size... and to fit in the car. They don't mind in the slightest, and I get to pick my own boards as I do. I leave things pretty neat n tidy afterwards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement