Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this an indication of the presence of squirrels?

Options
  • 02-08-2020 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

I'm just after coming across a few little piles of half eaten pine cones on tree stumps and fallen timber.
    Is this a sign of squirrels or would it be just boring old rats?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Most likely squirrel. They often strip cones in the same location like that. Question is, which species of squirrel is it

Eddie B wrote: »
    Most likely squirrel. They often strip cones in the same location like that. Question is, which species of squirrel is it

Yeah that's the other question. It's great to know there's any in my area as we've not had any woods to speak of in the area for decades and decades.
    It's in pine forestry in the North West so I'm expecting they would be reds as pine marten sightings are starting to become common up here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Yeah that's the other question. It's great to know there's any in my area as we've not had any woods to speak of in the area for decades and decades.
    It's in pine forestry in the North West so I'm expecting they would be reds as pine marten sightings are starting to become common up here

Have you a trail cam?

Eddie B wrote: »
    Have you a trail cam?

Not yet but I recently noticed decent ones are really cheap on Ali express so I'll be getting one.
    I'll be getting in anyway because I think deer are bedding down at night just across the garden fence as I'm finding flattened circular patches of grass in a field with no cattle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

I "have" reds in a small wood of Scots Pine and Norway Spruce behind my house- the pic looks identical to the stripped cones I see. They seem to prefer the Norway Spruce although they do take both. I have put up a peanut feeder (hinged lid, Perspex front) to supplement their food in winter and they love it. It is fascinating watching them feeding on it.

Definitely invest in a trail cam- I'm actually on my third one having got rid of the original Lidl one (suffered from 13 month post-warranty fatigue syndrome) and one I bought online where the battery pack failed after six months- contacted them directly in China and they advised me to buy a new camera and they would throw in a second battery pack for free!

Have just taken delivery of one from Irish Forestry products (Acorn brand) and it seems to be decent.

Advertisement