Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knockcroghery parish historical graveyards

Options
  • 18-06-2020 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know a rough timeline for when Kilmain, Killinvoy and Knockcroghery(Galey) graveyards opened/closed and how to get info on those buried there.

Judging by the headstones, Knockcroghery looks to have started around 1940.
    I know there was a burial in Kilmain as late as 1920 but Killeenvoy has me puzzled. Was it operational concurrently with Kilmain? Was it still open after Knockcroghery church was built before Galey cemetary opened?

Ballymurray church and Culleen Hall were closed after Knockcroghery church was opened, that much I know. So it leads me to think Kilmain and Killinvoy shared the duties until Galey cemetary. Am I right?

Was Portrun graveyard included in this mix too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Pique wrote: »
    Does anyone know a rough timeline for when Kilmain, Killinvoy and Knockcroghery(Galey) graveyards opened/closed and how to get info on those buried there.

Judging by the headstones, Knockcroghery looks to have started around 1940.
    I know there was a burial in Kilmain as late as 1920 but Killeenvoy has me puzzled. Was it operational concurrently with Kilmain? Was it still open after Knockcroghery church was built before Galey cemetary opened?

Ballymurray church and Culleen Hall were closed after Knockcroghery church was opened, that much I know. So it leads me to think Kilmain and Killinvoy shared the duties until Galey cemetary. Am I right?

Was Portrun graveyard included in this mix too?

The Heritage Officer in RosCoCo should be able to help you. Furthermore Roscommon Library is now open this week to the public so you should get more info there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

Fann Linn wrote: »
    The Heritage Officer in RosCoCo should be able to help you. Furthermore Roscommon Library is now open this week to the public so you should get more info there.

Ah brilliant. Never even thought about checking there.
    http://www.roscommoncoco.ie/en/Services/Community/Heritage/

Thank you!

Advertisement