Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify insect

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭roper1664

Edited, as it seems that the insect has been identified.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

...or maybe not? (the abdomen isn't quite right)

What was your suggestion, Roper? :)

New Home wrote: »
    ...or maybe not? (the abdomen isn't quite right)

What was your suggestion, Roper? :)

I think that based on what we've seen and what's been described, that's either it or a very close match. Well done New Home :)

Just in case the OP doesn't confirm, I'll ask a few questions in a subsequent post.

Hi OP.

Just in case your specimen doesn't match the great suggestion above:

It can be difficult to identify insects without microscopy. A clearer photo might still do the trick.

In the meantime, the following will narrow down the candidates:

Do they definitely jump or is that an assumption.

Do they definitely not fly? The lack of flight rules a lot of species out.

Is the head on the right-hand-side of the last image you posted?

Are there any mandibles, like an ant or beetle would have?

Is it entirely black or is it a different colour?

Is the body "hairy"?

Is there anything protruding from the rear of the abdomen e.g., like you would see on an earwig?

Is the body flat/level to the ground or arched?

Anything else that stands out?

I ask the above, as there might be a defining feature that's not visible in your photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BobCobb

Saw this thread this morning, and soon after spotted this fly on the back door. Similar shape but probably too long, maybe 8-9 mm and flying around. However, it did act like it might try to bite when I tried to get it out of the house, flying onto me and even up my sleeve.

BobCobb wrote: »
    Saw this thread this morning, and soon after spotted this fly on the back door. Similar shape but probably too long, maybe 8-9 mm and flying around. However, it did act like it might try to bite when I tried to get it out of the house, flying onto me and even up my sleeve.

Not sure if that's it, but that could be some sort of black soldier fly (its larvae are excellent for your composing bin), the flies themselves are quite harmless.

Horse fly is my best guess.

roper1664 wrote: »
    Horse fly is my best guess.

Don't think so, the wings are "wrong". :)

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=horse+fly&FORM=HDRSC2

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

That looks like a St Marks fly, Bibio marci.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BobCobb

Thanks, was just looking them up there and that sounds right. It said that they have weak wings so that might explain why it kept landing on me, similar to how a horse fly might behave alright. Maybe I should have put it to work on the compost heap!

ETA Original reply was to New Home, hadn't seen the latest post, it looks quite like a st marks fly too, plus the sluggish flight would fit the bill.

Thanks Tiercel Dave, that looks spot on.

Not as useful as a black soldier fly, so. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Is the OP a hundred percent sure that the bites are coming from those insects?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭caddy16

Eddie B wrote: »
    Is the OP a hundred percent sure that the bites are coming from those insects?
    Yes 100%.

I haven't been able to get a closer picture to answer some of the questions above but I'm on the case. Bites have dropped off but still getting a few each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭caddy16

After easing off for a day or 2 the young lads got well bitten again today. Time to call in outside help I think in the morning.

Got this little guy in their clothes this evening.

I thought it was a type of rove beetle, but I'm no expert. If you want to be sure, perhaps you'd be better off posting here - https://www.whatsthatbug.com/

It's also shaped a bit like a louse, but it's way too big to be a head louse.

I'm going to go with Flea OP, when seen from above their body is quite narrow but there is a depth to it, a sort of flattened profile. If it jumps like a Flea and bites like a Flea then.......

I thought it was a type of rove beetle, but I'm no expert. If you want to be sure, perhaps you'd be better off posting here - https://www.whatsthatbug.com/

Looked up Rove Beetle, it seems more akin to a Devils Coach Horse.....

It is definitely not a flea (unless you mean not a flea like those you find on pets, perhaps a sand flea?), for starters the last pair of legs is too short, the head isn't attached to the thorax* in the same way. Fleas aren't the only insects that bite or jump.

How does this...
    509856.jpg

look remotely like this:
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.britannica.com%2Fs%3As%3A300x200%2F22%2F55322-004-4BD703B2.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

*not sure if that's the right term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Closer, but the legs aren't attached to its body the same way.

The feature that confuses me is the legs. All six legs seem to pint backwards. Normally the front legs point forward.

Now, even considering that they might be bent... I wonder, is it in that stance because it was disturbed? I'd say we'd really need a closer, less fuzzy picture (at least in order to do a proper reverse image search). I know that's easier said than done, OP! Can I ask, was that taken in Ireland or abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

caddy16 wrote: »
    After easing off for a day or 2 the young lads got well bitten again today. Time to call in outside help I think in the morning.

Got this little guy in their clothes this evening.

I'll presume this lad got whacked soon after the pic was taken. If you could trap one in a glass or something - put it up on a counter (in glass on white paper) you could then do a proper photo shoot from all sorts of angles, close-ups, zoom-ins etc.

By jaysus, we''ll get to the bottom of this yet:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Definitely a flea, the fact that most of the bites are located around the ankles are classic flea traits.

Yeah, this one is really bugging me! :pac:

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Definitely a flea, the fact that most of the bites are located around the ankles are classic flea traits.

Are we looking at the same insect?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

I'm going to go with Flea OP, when seen from above their body is quite narrow but there is a depth to it, a sort of flattened profile. If it jumps like a Flea and bites like a Flea then.......
    Possibly bird fleas?
    I cleaned out a bird nest years ago and noticed bites for a few days afterwards and found several very small fleas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Are we looking at the same insect?:confused:

I think the angle the pic is taken makes it look a bit off but I definitely think flea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement