Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the roughest pub in Dublin city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

Excellent. Very interested in the ones near Connolly

Lloyds has cheap Beamish on draft (then you already know what kind of pub it is).

Molloys is an Early House, you can get pints there from 7 AM onwards, and is one of the very few places in Ireland to have this, but this also attracts a very rough crowd.

If you really wanna experience the absolute worst of the worst of the worst in terms of dublin pubs, I would really 'recommend' the Donaghmede Inn. Just take the 29a bus there, or take a dart to Howth Junction (a.k.a. Howth Junktown) and walk about 10 minutes. The horrible thing is that it's also literally the only pub in the area.

My dream is still to go to Molloy's at 7 AM on my last day of work and then come into work 3 pints in. Sadly I start too early to be able to do this.

My mate did exactly that on his last day of work though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Molloys is absolutely fine. 57 Talbot a few doors down on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭argolis

Finch's in Ronanstown.

I was shopping in M&S Liffey Valley a couple of years ago and noticed they'd security tags on the expensive seafood and meat. I said it to one of the staff that I never noticed those tags in Blanch.

She said they had to start putting them on the food after they realised the owner from Finch's and his wife had been coming in regularly with backpacks, lifting burgers, steaks, seafood, etc and walking out. They'd take it back to their pub and serve it up for lunch.

So, at least the food is decent in there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

argolis wrote: »
    I was shopping in M&S Liffey Valley a couple of years ago and noticed they'd security tags on the expensive seafood and meat. I said it to one of the staff that I never noticed those tags in Blanch.

She said they had to start putting them on the food after they realised the owner from Finch's and his wife had been coming in regularly with backpacks, lifting burgers, steaks, seafood, etc and walking out. They'd take it back to their pub and serve it up for lunch.

So, at least the food is decent in there.

The owner of Finch's a few years ago was Louis Fitzgerald Group...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

machaseh wrote: »
    My dream is still to go to Molloy's at 7 AM on my last day of work and then come into work 3 pints in. Sadly I start too early to be able to do this.

My mate did exactly that on his last day of work though.

Did something like that in the last place I worked. Had goodbye drinks the night before. Got home around 2am, well oiled. Fell out of bed just after 8. Open the fridge and cracked open two cans of Sierra Nevada IPA and skipped into work for my final day absolutely full of the joys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

If I would take me mate on a Bad Pubs of Dublin tour, I'd choose the following ones. Mind you I have only been living here for 2 years, so my experience is a bit limited.

- Kiltipper Inn, Kiltipper Tallaght. It's actually not too bad of a pub I like it but there's some rough people with tracksuits there. Also being extremely far out of town makes it quite unique to visit, most dubliners would never come here if they werent from the area.
    - Swiss Cottage has sadly closed but it was quite a rough pub.
    - Lloyds on Amiens street near conolly station
    - Molloy's Pub near conolly station
    - Berkeley Inn on Berkeley Street (I even suffered discrimination there)
    - Donaghmede Inn, better known locally as the Donaghmede Bin. It is truly the worst pub in Dublin I'd say. Absolutely no atmosphere, just a grey block of concrete in a suburban shopping mall. Fights or people tampering with the ATM are not uncommon.
    - Dicey's, not really a pub but yeah...
    - River Bar. I wouldnt even dare to enter.

Dicey's is grand. The only danger there is being cornered by a gang of Hipsters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Priorswood Inn from my youth

Have seen Shetland pony inside, fights with Samurai swords, pub used in love hate, someone robbing the cash register not just the cash but register itself.

The old Black Sheep or the blacker closed a while now after few name changes few scraps in there.

Won't be visiting any soon

ShyMets wrote: »

More likely a gang of Brazilians (hey I can say it me mam is brazilian ok)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Anus Von Skidmark

A favourite pastime of mine is a game called Danger Pints. A drink in some of the roughest pubs in Dublin. Generally you go in on a weeknight/weekend afternoon. Have one, max two drinks. Preferably sit at the bar for maximum enjoyment. Bonus points if there's been a murder or murder attempt. Ones I've frequented to date:

Barn House, Dolphins Barn
    Finches, Neilstown
    Jobstown House
    Killinarden House, Tallaght
    The Marble Arch, Drimnagh (my local)
    The Black Forge, Crumlin
    Cleary's, Kilmainham (surprisingly, this is the one I felt most uneasy in)

Isn't Cleary's really more Inchicore than Kilmainham? Never been in there myself, but it doesn't look particularly inviting!
    The Finches is really not that bad. Try The Swallows in Deansrath. Chasers in Ballyfermot is intimidating due to the upstairs setup, but it's probably more depressing and grim than truly dodgy.

Never been there, but looking at it on a map, its very close to a spot on the Grand Canal cycle/walking path that is always full of on fire or burned out cars, scummers on scramblers, and the odd loose horse (usually not on fire).
    miamee wrote: »
    Is it called The Cabra House now? I haven't been in there in over 20 years but it was rough then and from what I can tell hasn't changed much over time.

Is that the spot where a certain killer related to a certain deceased boyband member shot and killed a notorious gang boss?
    eusap wrote: »
    The patriots in Kilmainham, an english colleague was staying in the hilton and i had to go rescue him from the pub.............

There's nothing at all wrong with The Patriots! It's a grand spot!
    Excellent. Very interested in the ones near Connolly

Apart from the Brew Dock, pretty much anywhere near Connolly is bad! Especially heading up towards the Five Lamps / North Strand. Scum central.
    Scoundrel wrote: »
    Morriseys on Cork street is as rough as a badgers arse

Didn't the formerly fat Freddie Thompson batter the shi'ite out of someone there a few years back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dohboy

Is Chasers in Ballyfermot rough as boots? Never been but it looks like a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

eusap wrote: »
    The patriots in Kilmainham, an english colleague was staying in the hilton and i had to go rescue him from the pub.............

Drank here for years , and never saw a bit of trouble.
    That place could be a gold mine in the right hands, so much potential

• Registered Users Posts: 14,064 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Yeah it is. A lot of the clientele have started drinking in Lagoona in the IFSC, which results in a very strange mix on a Friday afternoon/evening of corporate after-work drinkers, and really rough folk.

There has also been a few who frequent the drunken fish in ifsc, which is a korean restaurant/pub. So there is also the surrealness of friday nihht in there with a crowd of asian students singing kpop karaoke in the lounge, after work drinkers, and scummers abound

Drank here for years , and never saw a bit of trouble.
    That place could be a gold mine in the right hands, so much potential

It already is a goldmine, I reckon. Busy most days with tourists going to Kilmainham Gaol/Imma.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Isn't Cleary's really more Inchicore than Kilmainham? Never been in there myself, but it doesn't look particularly inviting!

I think it's kind of on the border. We went in some random Wednesday night when we came across it while out for a wander. Roughest looking crowd of scrotes in there, like the type you'd be scared to catch eye contact with cos they're just itching for a fight.

I think it's kind of on the border. We went in some random Wednesday night when we came across it while out for a wander. Roughest looking crowd of scrotes in there, like the type you'd be scared to catch eye contact with cos they're just itching for a fight.

Cleary's is in Inchicore, on Sarsfield Road. It re-opened a few years ago after it was closed for over a year. Got a makeover and it's now a big lounge/drinking den with tellies for soccer, cheap food, and karaoke at weekends. It's not a nice place, the time I was in anyway.

retalivity wrote: »
    There has also been a few who frequent the drunken fish in ifsc, which is a korean restaurant/pub. So there is also the surrealness of friday nihht in there with a crowd of asian students singing kpop karaoke in the lounge, after work drinkers, and scummers abound

Lagoona is slightly rough (snorting in the jacks etc.) but I wouldnt consider it nearly as rough as others on my list now.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Lagoona is slightly rough (snorting in the jacks etc.) but I wouldnt consider it nearly as rough as others on my list now.

It's not rough like the other pubs listed here, it's definitely an after-work, charlie-in-the-jacks type place, but since Noctors closed there's definitely been some of that crowd drifting in as well. Surprised they don't try and put a stop to it with bouncers on the door. It's a crap soulless pub anyway but I'd be even less inclined to go now than I used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

robbie67 wrote: »
    its suppose to be for sale, very few go into it now

You’d have to wipe your shoes on the way out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

The Black Forge, Crumlin
    theteal wrote: »
    the Forge is Walkinstown.
    I'd be a little more pedantic and call it drimnagh :)

It's in the Bermuda triangle of all three really.

I grew up in that pub (The Bentley as it was then, great memories) and being a Drimnagh man - boundaries can fck off, it's in Drimnagh!;)

I'll be on the side of it's not exactly 'rough' with the qualifying boozers being touted around this thread, it is very loud of a weekend for sure and full of teenagers for the late bar.
    Mind you, I've only been back twice in the past five years so things might have changed drastically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Some fairly tame suggestions. Molloy’s for example - I’d imagine it gets its share of odd characters with it being an early house but half of Store Street Garda Station used to drink there when I was working local - not sure if they’ve found a new pub since then.

Dicey’s and the River Bar wouldn’t be rough either - **** “pubs” and serving overpriced drinks in the case of the latter but certainly not full of scrotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

It wasn't great. But far from being one of the rougher ones even in the area. The Black Sheep, The Towers & The Penthouse were all worse.

When they closed down one by one, the Swiss did "inherit" a lot of different elements of scum but it wasn't too bad.

Swiss was fine, rough crowd but no trouble unless you looked for trouble.

Incidentally, it will be opening again when the apartment complex is built, it'll be in a unit(s) on the ground floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

They might force you to try on their tweed scarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ned Led Zeppo

The Noggin Inn in Sallynoggin,wear a suit of armour.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,097 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Collie D wrote: »
    Some fairly tame suggestions. Molloy’s for example - I’d imagine it gets its share of odd characters with it being an early house but half of Store Street Garda Station used to drink there when I was working local - not sure if they’ve found a new pub since then.

Yeah I started my first job near Molloy's (not in the guards!!) 25 years ago and it was the go-to after work (or, for some, Friday-lunchtime-drinks-and-get-a-mate-to-clock-them-in-for-the-afternoon-stay-til-closing) place. Wasn't any rougher than we were :)

Was in the area a few years back one afternoon and dropped in for a pint. Place is gentrified out of all recognition.

There used to be a huge long haired dog (wolfhound?) who lived on the roof, you could see the fcuker through the translucent skylight over the urinal. While having a piss we used to bark at him and he'd go mad :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

You really don't know what Hipsters are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I named a few earlier and never thought to name my old local. The priorswood inn. When I was young and tough and in my 20s I drank here. Then at a certain age you realise you arnt bulletproof and I stopped drinking there.

I was looking around one time trying to figure out If I was the only man in the pub that hadn’t been to jail. The fact I’d a conviction or two wasn’t an issue I’d never been locked up so seen myself as the gentleman of the pub.

I’d be frightened now in my late thirties even going into the newsagents a few doors up from it.

The pub itself has had so many fights, stabbing, shootings over the years they don’t get mentioned in the paper. People shot or shot at on their way home from there a fair bit.

Amazing it still gets a bar license. An inspector would see drug use just from walking into the place on a Tuesday afternoon.

I remember as a kid actually eating food in there. They don’t serve food anymore I don’t think.

I’d actaully say at any time in that pub there could be ten people sat there who have been shot before. No exaggeration.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

The Noggin Inn in Sallynoggin,wear a suit of armour.

I second this

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Ah Chasers. The entrance was sponsored by Massey's, youd kill yourself falling down.

I worked in Chasers for a few years, the 79 was far worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Yeah I started my first job near Molloy's (not in the guards!!) 25 years ago and it was the go-to after work (or, for some, Friday-lunchtime-drinks-and-get-a-mate-to-clock-them-in-for-the-afternoon-stay-til-closing) place. Wasn't any rougher than we were :)

Was in the area a few years back one afternoon and dropped in for a pint. Place is gentrified out of all recognition.

There used to be a huge long haired dog (wolfhound?) who lived on the roof, you could see the fcuker through the translucent skylight over the urinal. While having a piss we used to bark at him and he'd go mad :pac:

Don’t remember the dog but I would have been going there about 15 years ago. You sure it wasn’t the world’s most determined pervert in a coat? ;)

Also used to drink in the Priorswood in my youth and like the other poster look back and think to myself..Jaysus.

Advertisement