Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nature on your farm.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

ganmo wrote: »
    Ye lucky sods ours only produce during the summer. Now they get no TLC and were planted well before I was born so they have nothing working for them

Pruning out old growth is very important to re vitalise these bushes every year I've found

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Here's another excellent thread on Dung beetles.

https://twitter.com/ZwartblesIE/status/1166326145727565824?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Stumbled onto this lad earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Looks like a Small Tortoiseshell caterpillar

• Advertisement

A bit more Honeysuckle.
    Ur53Zpz.jpg
    And is this the fruit from the Honeysuckle?
    o7HHe2i.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A bit more Honeysuckle.
    Ur53Zpz.jpg
    And is this the fruit from the Honeysuckle?
    o7HHe2i.jpg
    Yes, but don't eat them they are poisonous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Looks like a Small Tortoiseshell caterpillar

http://www.irishmoths.net/pages-moth/m-1638.html
    I think it's closer to this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Some poor chap lost his moustache :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Came home from a wedding on Tuesday to find this chap had moved in. Garden was and still is fairly waterlogged.
    It’s only the second one I’ve seen here at home on the right side if the Dublin Meath border. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Pruning out old growth is very important to re vitalise these bushes every year I've found

Yes I cut back my raspberries to 6 inches or so off the ground every year around this time or later and every Spring and Summer they grow back stronger and more productive than ever. Well they are related to briars after all and we all know how hardy those feckers are. A bit of compost and some watering during the dryest part of the summer doesn't seem to do them any harm. Although I think I will stop feeding and watering my blackcurrants as they grew a big crop of sour berries this year.

The BRIDE project are doing some interesting work in conservation in Cork.
    https://www.thebrideproject.ie/bride-project-newsletter-september-2019

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

The BRIDE project are doing some interesting work in conservation in Cork.
    https://www.thebrideproject.ie/bride-project-newsletter-september-2019
    Great project, needs to be rolled out nationwide to farmers who have the interest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭visatorro

Seen three frog's today. I don't ever remember seeing frogs before. Big lumps of yokes too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

The lane is full on right now. Just finished the blackberries, and the hazelnuts, sloe and Rose hips are mental this year, as are the hawthorn and Holly. Amazing, there wasn't a red Berry last season.

IMG-20191014-184214.jpg

IMG-20191014-183129.jpg

IMG-20191014-184048.jpg

IMG-20191014-184125.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I saw two tortiseshell butterflies today, don't think I've ever seen them this late in the year before.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

https://youtu.be/oyOwqQTkbXQ
    0.3 acre nettle/hogweed early cover patch for corncrake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Gold Crest.jpg
    Gold Crest Zoom.jpg
    Gold Crest Zoom1.jpg

A group of Gold Crests came twittering onto this hedge as I was on chatting on the phone. I managed to, as quietly as I could, get some photos. Most were out of focus as I hadn't time to check the settings.

Absolutely tiny and very colourful, this is a female, the males have a red crest. Zoom in on the first pic to note the bird's size in comparison to the nearby ivy leaves.

https://birdwatchireland.ie/birds/goldcrest/

Honey fungus.jpg

I thought these were absolutely beautiful when I came across them; I discovered that they were deadly honey fungus, which dissolved into a pungent ugly mess within days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Wife saw a stoat last week on our road. Also had a pheasant in the garden

• Advertisement

american mink.jpg

This is the nearest likeness to an animal I observed near a dry stone wall, except I didn't see any white under his chin. It was about the size of a small cat.

I watched it as it ran along the base of the wall, oblivious to my presence. It then darted in between the stones to pounce on some unfortunate creature it was tracking, who squealed a while, then deathly silence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭Base price

american mink.jpg

This is the nearest likeness to an animal I observed near a dry stone wall, except I didn't see any white under his chin. It was about the size of a small cat.

I watched it as it ran along the base of the wall, oblivious to my presence. It then darted in between the stones to pounce on some unfortunate creature it was tracking, who squealed a while, then deathly silence.
    I have seen them around here over the years and some don't have white under their chin/throat, their coats are glossy/shiny.

Anyone know what plant this is? It's new here. Beautiful, but probably lethal.

IMG-20191021-125007.jpg

Anyone know what plant this is? It's new here. Beautiful, but probably lethal.

Could it be a guelder rose ? Some references say that the berries cannot be eaten raw but safe when cooked !!

Compare your leaves with the leaves on the attached link -

https://www.alamy.com/guelder-rose-viburnum-opulus-with-berries-in-late-summer-schleswig-holstein-germany-image279973824.html

That's it LTF, thanks.

Guelder Rose - with very distinctive and very pretty flowers - found growing in the wild around Lough Bunny, north Co Clare - this website is requesting sightings.

http://www.wildflowersofireland.net/plant_detail.php?id_flower=398&wildflower=Guelder-rose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Honey fungus.jpg

I thought these were absolutely beautiful when I came across them; I discovered that they were deadly honey fungus, which dissolved into a pungent ugly mess within days.
    Seeing them everywhere this year, all the dead wood and a lot of live trees on Bray Head covered in the stuff.

I came across this little guy today and have no idea what he is, only that he appears to be from Kilkenny.
    QJw5sFH.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 aphextwit

In an oak woodpile

• Advertisement

I came across this little guy today and have no idea what he is, only that he appears to be from Kilkenny.

Could it be a dethroned Wasp Queen - which is larger than a normal sized wasp.

Wasp Anatomy.jpg

Advertisement