Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

David McWilliams Podcast

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Michael Lewis had a podcast of a few episodes out last year which was just him by himself.

It was tough enough going tbh as it did just sound like him reading out an essay, which it probably was.

That's why I like the side kick on McWilliams one, it does liven it up a small bit which helps massively in what's kind of a dry topic.

Just out of curiosity have many people on here signed up to his Patreon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Agreed that the side kick is needed. I think it's the way it's used that people don't like.

• Site Banned Posts: 221 ✭✭SAM SO NITE

i need the " come ere to me head" repartee like a moose needs a hatstand.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Agreed that the side kick is needed. I think it's the way it's used that people don't like.

Yeah agree.

Still, a decent production despite the flaws.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Anyway, who is the sidekick guy, I'm sure it's been mentioned, apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Thought the German one was a really good episode. Forget how important the going ones in Germany are for us here. Or at least I do

igCorcaigh wrote: »

https://www.linkedin.com/in/johnardavis/?originalSubdomain=ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

igCorcaigh wrote: »

He's the guy shoveling the coal in to David's ego.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

Must be the biggest bollix ever produced in Ireland. His parents should have been arrested for inflicting this ginger nut on the Irish public.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The blokeyness feels a bit forced at times, but it's a pretty good podcast IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think they've a good rapport. Yeah every now and again it comes across as a bit forced but overall it's good.

Without it the podcast would be very stale imo

I do find him likeable for the most part, but as was said before McWilliams does suffer from a lack of self awareness. With his grandiose and authoritative tone, it's as if he expects his every word to be promptly transcribed and delivered to Moses on stone tablets.

mikemac2 wrote: »
    I think this podcast would be better if they lost the sidekick

Now I’m not an expert
    Can you explain it to me now
    An ordinary joe like me

He gets names and quotes wrong also

I get he is there to act like the common man doing some pub talk but it’s not needed

Dunphy has nobody with him

McWilliams must have a low opinion of his audience if he thinks the sidekick is necessary.
    Rather than lecture unchallenged like he does, he should aim to have interesting and esteemed guests on every week for real conversations about challenging topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

McWilliams must have a low opinion of his audience if he thinks the sidekick is necessary.
    Rather than lecture unchallenged like he does, he should aim to have interesting and esteemed guests on every week for real conversations about challenging topics.

I agree, I deleted it myself. Too commercial with news/music lead in and condescending throughout, pity about the delivery as I tend to agree with a lot he says.

mikemac2 wrote: »
    I think this podcast would be better if they lost the sidekick

Dunphy has nobody with him

Dunphy is always talking to 1/more people in a sort of interview format.

he's never on his own.

Recent episode with guest talking about COVID19 is very good. Guest knows his stuff which makes all the difference. The helicopter money concept is in wide discussion and Trump is thinking about it. Sounds like an expensive way to stimulate the economy but I'd take a sharp cost to get things going than a long drawn out 2008-esque recession.

Recent episode with guest talking about COVID19 is very good. Guest knows his stuff which makes all the difference. The helicopter money concept is in wide discussion and Trump is thinking about it. Sounds like an expensive way to stimulate the economy but I'd take a sharp cost to get things going than a long drawn out 2008-esque recession.

What stops people from hoarding that once off payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

What stops people from hoarding that once off payment?

Its not about what people do with it, its to reassure everyone that everyone has cash available if needed

I thought it was to also stimulate the economy

Both I would presume. By having the reassurance it is also stimulating the economy as transactions happen that wouldn't otherwise out of worry, regardless of whether the helicopter money was spent. But there may be ways to offer that guarantee without giving the money to people who dont need the guarantee!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Some would of course hoard the helicopter money. But those who need it most will spend it immediately on rent , food , bills etc.

Those who have some money will set it aside and if the crises ends soon will go and buy consumer goods such as TVs , home improvements etc. Giving a 2nd wave of stimulation .

If you were very wealthy already you prob wouldn't notice the amount come into your account and will carry on as normal.

I think he said that "C'mere head" thing at the start just to annoy ye all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 somewhere45

Some would of course hoard the helicopter money. But those who need it most will spend it immediately on rent , food , bills etc.

Those who have some money will set it aside and if the crises ends soon will go and buy consumer goods such as TVs , home improvements etc. Giving a 2nd wave of stimulation .

If you were very wealthy already you prob wouldn't notice the amount come into your account and will carry on as normal.

Dont know about you guys, but we have just stopped spending money on anything none-essential. Not because we dont have it spend, but just in case everything goes tits up. (mind you we do spend money in the local shop to help them keep going)
    If anything landed into our accounts it would instantly be transferred into the emergency fund.
    I know a lot of people just saw this as another something that would be contained fairly fast. But if you bothered to actually do a bit of research, read some science journals etc it was very clear that real experts was saying between the lines that this was a pandemic a month before it was declared as such. Wife laughed at me when I went out and did a big shop then.
    She is not laughing anymore.

If you think people are fearful now, give it another couple of weeks from now when testing really ramps up around the world and the **** will hit the fan.

But in my opinion there is only one way to deal with this and that is fire up the money printing press and just throw as much money at the problem as possible. Ignore the potential future problems. This needs to be "fixed" as soon as possible.

We will all be living in a totally different world in 4-5 months.

But there will be positive changes as well, dont forget that. (And we are already seeing this happening now)
    - I strongly suspect that the health system will be totally overhauled. (Long overdue)
    - A lot of people have already stopped the whole me me me money money money attitude.
    I see families spending time with each, going for walks, playing with their kids.
    Reaching out to family and friend to make sure they are ok.
    Offering to help neighbors, signing up for voluntary work.

All of a sudden our priorities have changed for the better.
    I have reconnected with so many old friend that I had lost contact over the years.

I moved to Ireland over 20 years ago, its like we have gone back to that time again which made me fall in love with Ireland. (Something that has slowly been lost during the last 20 years where it all turned into Keeping up with the Joneses)

This too shall pass. hopefully most of the positive changes will stick.
    We are all in this together people. Do what you can and if you need help reach out.

Stay safe and try and support your local smaller businesses. The big chains will survive no matter what. Its the smaller ones that need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I don't get the impact this helicopter drop would have. Even putting money into people's bank account, it wouldn't stimulate an immediate impact on demand since people can't go out and frequent the type of places that are suffering and won't be able to survive this down period? Is my logic flawed.

I don't get the impact this helicopter drop would have. Even putting money into people's bank account, it wouldn't stimulate an immediate impact on demand since people can't go out and frequent the type of places that are suffering and won't be able to survive this down period? Is my logic flawed.

People could pay their rent and buy food

The spending of the money is one benefit, but the main benefit is the confidence it brings. You know people have a certain amount of money

McWilliams argues its 'free' as it's just printed and there is no inflationary consequence. In fact, inflation is good right now.

I strongly suspect that the health system will be totally overhauled. (Long overdue)

I think that you make the assumption that the Coronavirus has more power than the unions and other vested interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

McWilliams argues its 'free' as it's just printed and there is no inflationary consequence. In fact, inflation is good right now.[/QUOTE]

Leaving aside the human tragedy, covid has made us think of helicopter money. If inflation starts to creep up, central banks will have to raise interest rates. They have been forbidden from doing this for years and corporate debt has splurged. Also, central banks at this stage have no futher weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,114 ✭✭✭✭Water John

We had no problem giving helicopter money to the banks and others in the last crisis.

• Advertisement

Absolutely loving this podcast right now. He should put one out every day.

Advertisement