Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New cinema opening date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

Going to see Avengers on Thursday. My choice is screen 10 at 5pm, or screen 6 at 5.40pm. Which screen is the biggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

Anyone know the screen sizes and seating capacity of each room
    Brought kids other day
    Screen 8 small and is 42 seater only

• Registered Users Posts: 33 PooPooPooPoo

DerryRed wrote: »
    Going to see Avengers on Thursday. My choice is screen 10 at 5pm, or screen 6 at 5.40pm. Which screen is the biggest?

I saw Endgame in screen 6 yesterday and it was a fine size of a screen - loads of room in the seats and sound/picture was excellent.

Screen 6 is down the end of the corridor - can't comment on screen 10 as I did not see it but screen 6 would be perfect for the film. It's also near the jacks which is handy when you're watching a three hour film!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

There again this eve
    Screen 7 Small screen and 42 seater
    screen 8 same small screen and 42 seater

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Went to see the movie on Saturday evening and I'd certainly have to question the decision to open early as its damaging their brand.

Few things I noted:
    - No mirrors or soap dispensers in the toilets, would be nice to be able to proper clean hands!
    - Toilet floors had just be moped and were all wet but no signs to give caution to people, seems they';ll have a claim soon if they keep that up
    - the movie quotes/names on the walls inside the front door look cheap and basic
    - They were painting outside still
    - Wires hanging out of walls still

In saying that the seats and position of the seats is better then the old cinema but really I'd expect that with any new cinema given how old the other cinema was.

They really should have finished more before they opened, I'd say it was a utter disaster the first day they opened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

Cabaal wrote: »
    Went to see the movie on Saturday evening and I'd certainly have to question the decision to open early as its damaging their brand.

Few things I noted:
    - No mirrors or soap dispensers in the toilets, would be nice to be able to proper clean hands!
    - Toilet floors had just be moped and were all wet but no signs to give caution to people, seems they';ll have a claim soon if they keep that up
    - the movie quotes/names on the walls inside the front door look cheap and basic

In saying that the seats and position of the seats is better then the old cinema but really I'd expect that with any new cinema given how old the other cinema was.

They really should have finished more before they opened, I'd say it was a utter disaster the first day they opened.

As I got the impression from the opening weekend it is very much a soft opening.
    Get the place up and running and we are all testing the systems.

I do think leaving it looking as scruffy as they have is a terrible decision.

Have they even opened all the screens yet?

As I notice they are still advertising future movies in the old cinema.
    So I'm wondering how long until we have the main screens ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

Cabaal wrote: »

Few things I noted:

I find the lack of physical signage strange , no price listing on the wall , no signage telling what the screen numbers are ( I saw on where someone had cut out a number in paper and sellotaped it to the wall).Also no online ticket pickup machines which seem standard everywhere else and reduce the amount of people queuing.

Also no movie posters or paraphernalia anywhere so the whole place seems a bit sterile, and their biggest screen doesn't seem to be open yet, not sure why and seems a bit strange seeing the biggest move of the decade was out last week.It all seems unfinished with details missing but the seats and leg room are great.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'd say it's in a kind of prelaunch mode.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I was in KK the day the place opened (not from KK). It seemed to take people by surprise. Any talk of an official opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Hardly charging 'prelaunch' prices though ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

Prelaunchs shouldn't last nearly a month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Has anyone been along since last week, if so have things improved at all? Have 6 young uns to bring in to Avengers Endgame on Sunday so trying to decide whether to bring them here or to the old cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭FunkyJunky6969

The new cinema shouldn't have opened when it's clearly noticeable that a lot more had to be done.

Myself and my kids went to see Dumbo on the weekend bought a family ticket at the till went into the screen and all the seats were full it was sold out but they kept selling tickets to people!

So we were told we could go to the next showing of it that day which we did come back for and when we got in the film broke down twice whilst trying to play it !!

So after all that we had enough and asked for a refund which they were slow to offer. Very badly organised in there they didn't apologise or anything.

We just went to see it in the cinema on Gaol Rd the next day and thoroughly enjoyed it no problems at all and staff knew what they were at and were very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

The new cinema shouldn't have opened when it clearly noticeable that a lot more had to be done.

Myself and my kids went to see Dumbo on the weekend bought a family ticket at the till went into the screen and all the seats were full it was sold out but they kept selling tickets to people!

So we were told we could go to the next showing of it that day which we did come back for and when we got in the film broke down twice whilst trying to play it !!

So after all that we had enough and asked for a refund which they were slow to offer. Very badly organised in there they didn't apologise or anything.

We just went to see it in the cinema on Gaol Rd the next day and thoroughly enjoyed it no problems at all and staff knew what they were at and were very helpful.

I remember when the Gaol road opened all those year ago.
    The first movie I saw there was Armaghedon.
    Just at the crescendo the sound completely went for the rest of the movie.
    This crowd that runs these cinemas are ****ing idiots of the highest order.
    The should have got the contract for the new cinema but there must have been some agreement of some sort to ensure the did.
    The goal cinema was woeful from the off so not sure why anyone was expecting any better from this.
    Also this crowd had multiple contract issue which meant lots of films never made it to Kilkenny. I just hop on the motor way and go to Carlow now. Biggest screen in Ireland great sound no hassle

How do you open a new cinema without the biggest 4 sceeens open?
    How to open a cinema when clearly(based on the above post) they haven’t a clue what they are doing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bowlardo wrote: »
    I remember when the Gaol road opened all those year ago...../QUOTE]

I didn't experience it, but I certainly do remember numerous people commenting back in the day when Gaol road opened about all the reoccurring sound issues they had in the middle of movies.

So its def not a new thing, its either down to faulty equipment or inexperienced people using it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Went this evening, very annoying that it’s paid parking outside but I imagine that’s the councils fault. The place still seems quite unfinished inside, no mirrors in bathrooms and no soap dispensers but they did have disposable soap bottles.

It does seem very plain once you walk up the stairs, they don’t yet have permanent displays up showing ticket or food prices, The screen itself was very comfortable, leather seats are like what you have to pay premium prices for elsewhere.

I do look forward to when it’s properly opened and they’re past the teething problems, the old cinema was always a bad joke in terms of film selection.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Went this evening, very annoying that it’s paid parking outside but I imagine that’s the councils fault. The place still seems quite unfinished inside, no mirrors in bathrooms and no soap dispensers but they did have disposable soap bottles.

It does seem very plain once you walk up the stairs, they don’t yet have permanent displays up showing ticket or food prices, The screen itself was very comfortable, leather seats are like what you have to pay premium prices for elsewhere.

I do look forward to when it’s properly opened and they’re past the teething problems, the old cinema was always a bad joke in terms of film selection.

Yes but first impressions are important and the place is fairly basic thus creating a sterile atmosphere.

The layout and colour scheme of the interior is lacking a wow factor and I agree with a previous comment that the movie quotes on the walls could have been done a lot better, they just look cheap and tacky.

What I noticed also is that it's not disabled friendly i.e wheelchair parking spaces are far from entrance and no ramp for ease of access to the cinema and heavy clunky doors to try and open on entering all these being on unnecessary obstacle. Clearly no thought given to accessibility !

As for the cinema on Gaol Rd I agree it was frustrating when they didn't get the less mainstream movies but with only four screens they probably couldn't accommodate all of the movies in just the four screens, so would have to choose films that would bring in most people.

We went along on Sunday (times suited us better than the old cinema plus the kids wanted to check it out). The first confusion was in the car park - they had Pay and Display signs up but not Pay machines installed! I'm guessing it was in the process of being done but wouldn't you think it would make sense to only erect the signs when the machines are actually in place! Inside would agree with others about the general unfinished look of the place. I felt a bit sorry for the staff having to repeat themselves for every customer asking for prices - again a simple bit of cop on would have ensured the sign showing prices was up.
    The movie experience itself was fine but I was surprised how small the room was. The seats are nice and comfortable though.
    Once the teething issues are sorted it will be a great addition to the town but they really should have had these sorted before opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

The majority of the cinema paying going public pay go after 6 but it is a bit of farce that a family going to a matinee show have to pay for parking.
    does the cinema validate the ticket?

Bowlardo wrote: »
    The majority of the cinema paying going public pay go after 6 but it is a bit of farce that a family going to a matinee show have to pay for parking.
    does the cinema validate the ticket?

But its ok for those without familys to pay?
    :pac:

Wasn't parking around the old cinema also paid parking?

• Advertisement

Yes it was (and still is). I'd have no issue with paid parking - you pay for parking in any town these days. Free parking after 6 is better than you get in most towns as well.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Yes it was (and still is). I'd have no issue with paid parking - you pay for parking in any town these days. Free parking after 6 is better than you get in most towns as well.

Sorry you are wrong. There is free parking spaces for people going to the old cinema, they are directly beside the building and to the back of the building.

The council car park which I believe is what you are referring to as "paid parking" is across the road on the left of the old cinema this would have nothing to do with the cinema as it's the council's own car park and they charge for use of it.

I can see how people would think it is the car park for the cinema because of its location being so near to the cinema.

Ok, my mistake, I believe you are referring to a total of about 10 spaces there, is that right? So the vast majority of cinema goers to the old cinema would end up parking in the council car park (or on the street which also has pay and display parking), would that be right?

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Ok, my mistake, I believe you are referring to a total of about 10 spaces there, is that right? So the vast majority of cinema goers to the old cinema would end up parking in the council car park (or on the street which also has pay and display parking), would that be right?

More than 10 there :) but with people obviously just parking there with no intention of going to see a film it will fill up quickly.

Has the new Cinema improved at all? Has anyone been to it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kilkennykitten

The new Galactic screen 1 is brilliant, reclining seats with loads of space, huge screen and amazing sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

Oh so is it fully open now?

The new Galactic screen 1 is brilliant, reclining seats with loads of space, huge screen and amazing sound.

Isn't it 15 EUR per ticket for the Galactic screen. That's a lot and plus buying food very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭FrToddUnctious

Isn't it 15 EUR per ticket for the Galactic screen. That's a lot and plus buying food very expensive.

what's your problem with the new cinema ? every one of your posts is giving out about it in one way or another

this thread had died down so you post again looking for opinions . when someone has something positive to say you immediately spin it into a negative . give it a rest ffs

• Advertisement

what's your problem with the new cinema ? every one of your posts is giving out about it in one way or another

this thread had died down so you post again looking for opinions . when someone has something positive to say you immediately spin it into a negative . give it a rest ffs

I'm entitled to my own opinion if that upsets you so be it.

Advertisement