Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferry's Refuse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,836 ✭✭✭✭muffler

• Registered Users Posts: 33,107 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

muffler wrote: »

Deserves jail time.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

Sad that it has taken this long to get to this stage. Hopefully, he will get time in the slammer. Fair fux to Donegal CC for pursuing him so relentlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

Can we change the title of this thread from "Ferry's Refuse" to "Ferry Refuses"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Last August, Mr Justice Max Barrett ordered he be jailed for contempt over his failure to obey orders directing a clean up. While the paperwork was being prepared for gardaí to execute the order, Mr Ferry left the courtroom and remained a fugitive until last month.

After all that he has the gall to ask for yet more time to "put everything before the court" and gets it. He truly is making a mockery of the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

Id say he'll get some good coverage tomorrow evening on RTE - RTE Investigates

Broadcast tomorrow evening (June 18th). RTE 1, 9.35pm.

Pique wrote: »
    I heard the reporter on radio earlier talking about this.

Sadly we are in the national news again for all the wrong reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 28,855 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

muffler wrote: »
    I heard the reporter on radio earlier talking about this.

Sadly we are in the national news again for all the wrong reasons
    Heard that too. Made Donegal (one of my favourite places in the world) sound like a total banana republic :mad:

Not sure I actually want to watch the programme later.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Made Donegal (one of my favourite places in the world) sound like a total banana republic :mad:
    In fairness this type of activity is probably occurring in many counties around the country as a whole but not on the same scale perhaps. While I would like to think that the sites in Rossbracken and now Moville are isolated cases there is however a decent chance that other such illegal sites could be uncovered in the future.

Donegal is a very large county and obviously has huge areas of uninhabited pockets of land where all types of activity can go unnoticed. In smaller and more densely populated counties illegal dumping is easier to detect but at the end of the day we have a fine county here and its a pity that a few clowns would give it a bad name.

• Advertisement

Let's hope the judge puts this guy where he belongs the next time h appears in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

By the looks off it on prime time, there are plenty ferrys about.

Jesus, that was a dull hour of TV.

Sorry I watched that.

massey265 wrote: »
    By the looks off it on prime time, there are plenty ferrys about.
    aint that the truth :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

I cant understand why they cant jail them (and not for a couple of years) trace the money and confiscate it or sell all assets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Given the lack of effective enforcement it's no wonder so many operators are ignoring the rules

And I heard today that there might be 10,000,000 tyres buried somewhere outside Carndonagh.

Shocking.

Edit: in fact it could be as high as 16 million.

http://www.highlandradio.com/2018/06/19/16-million-tyres-could-be-illegally-buried-in-north-inishowen/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Given the lack of effective enforcement it's no wonder so many operators are ignoring the rules

In fairness the enforcement was done. It was the penalties in the Courts which made it ludicrous. Fines and penalties of up to €13,000,000 on the Statute books and yet judges hit the accused with €2500.

I've read of cases where individuals have been fined more for dumping half a dozen bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

NIMAN wrote: »
    And I heard today that there might be 10,000,000 tyres buried somewhere outside Carndonagh.

Shocking.

Edit: in fact it could be as high as 16 million.

http://www.highlandradio.com/2018/06/19/16-million-tyres-could-be-illegally-buried-in-north-inishowen/
    16 million tyres illegally buried in hills outside Carndonagh.

Yeah, I think with that many tyres, those hills ARE the tyres.

Just can't get my head around those numbers!

Even trying to move 16,000,000 tyres. There must have been a convoy of trucks on the move for years.

• Advertisement

Just can't get my head around those numbers!

Even trying to move 16,000,000 tyres. There must have been a convoy of trucks on the move for years.
    And nobody noticed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

NIMAN wrote:

Surely thats a typo?! That's every tyre from 4 million cars in one location!

16,000 would be more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Kevwoody wrote: »

they were importing them via the north

I only typed what they reported on the radio....

I only typed what they reported on the radio....
    Here's the link to the claim on Higland Radio.

I would be highly skeptical of the numbers myself

I did find the numbers hard to believe when I heard the story and actually said to a few people that they couldn't be right. Simply from a logistics point of view.

I just Googled it and found this article about the worlds largest tyre dump in Kuwait, which has 7million.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2337351/Worlds-biggest-tyre-graveyard-Incredible-images-Kuwaiti-landfill-site-huge-seen-space.html

So either the crooks in Donegal have taken it to a new level, or else the figures are completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

Perhaps they are lego tyres. :P

Mod Note: Just for clarity there is no suggestion that Jim Ferry or his companies are in any way associated with the illegal dumping of tyres. This illegal activity is obviously being carried out by others

Well we wouldn't want to besmirch his reputation :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Just listening to morning Ireland here. Some good news at last for Donegal regarding unusual buried items!

They wont say where but Im gonna guess this gold horde wasnt found in Ferrys place :pac:

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0627/973693-gold-artefacts/

Advertisement