Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal fishing in Malahide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I've often seen Chinese people digging up along the estuary shoreline and putting the contents into large industrial buckets.

They Are in large groups, when I walk along that area, I hear see them all the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

kravmaga wrote: »
    I've often seen Chinese people digging up along the estuary shoreline and putting the contents into large industrial buckets.

They Are in large groups, when I walk along that area, I hear see them all the time.

They're either digging rag worm, lug worm or heavens forbid collecting razor fish or clams.

Ironically we had guy's from the east coast coming down and digging marine worms in Clare and selling them to angler's by the hundreds in the East Coast.

I remember being ran away and verbally assaulted lol for checking for peeler crab's under slate's laid out in an estuary in Waterford.

I was only curious 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Maybe the contents of the buckets are for Chinese takeaways in North County Dublin lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

kravmaga wrote: »
    Maybe the contents of the buckets are for Chinese takeaways in North County Dublin lol

Throw that in with all the monosodium glutamate for a lovely mix!

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

As a teenager back in the 70's, we use to catch mullet off the pier in Dun Laoghaire harbour and never had any problems selling them to local chinese takeaways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

That whole stretch between Malahide and Portmarnock has been gutted . Mostly Asian groups putting anything and everything into large buckets. Shellfish non existent there now. A real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

feelings wrote: »
    That whole stretch between Malahide and Portmarnock has been gutted . Mostly Asian groups putting anything and everything into large buckets. Shellfish non existent there now. A real shame.

Been a few trawlers over the last few years along there scraping the bottom. Huge amounts of shells would be getting washed up on portmarnock beach

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

There are a good few picking winkles for a living along coast from Rush to Balbriggan. Over the last few years a lot of people are shore fishing all along the same stretch of coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

feelings wrote: »

The area by the estuary is a special area of conservation status. Teams of Asian families with wetsuits now set nets and wade along the whole shorefront dragging out crabs of every size and taking them away in literally, fleets of stationwagons. I am reliably informed they were there throughout the covid lockdown. They now set up sorting tables on the estuary shorefront during the day and up to 8-12 women and children sort the ljve crabs into different buckets and take them away. Its shocking that this hs been going on for years and noone in Fingal County Council gives a flying *.

Delighted to see Inland Fisheries caught and prosecuted these other Poles - a 65 meter net?? At night?? Must have been some local reported them. Pity they don’t act as quick on the Asians who have been at it stripping this area in briad daylight for years.

Makes you wonder where all the protected duck have gone too in Portmarnock - the sanctuary that held hundreds of them for years is now reduced to about 3.

At keast something was done about something here. I wonder how much it has brought them in over the years - probably tens of thousands. Fine 1k between two men - crime definately pays.

Advertisement