Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Silage from lawn clippings.

• 06-08-2020 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭

Theoretically, could silage be made from lawn clippings?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Up Donegal wrote: »

Yes.
    But big m”s don’t like rockerys, patios or working around bouncing castles and trampolines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭alps

Absolutely NOT....

Dont leave lawn clippings anywhere near farm animals, particularly bovine..

Risk of canine neospora is far too high and damage near irreversible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,133 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No,disease issues, also it won't "cure" properly.

alps wrote: »
    Absolutely NOT....

Dont leave lawn clippings anywhere near farm animals, particularly bovine..

Risk of canine neospora is far too high and damage near irreversible

We have fed the grass from the lawn to the cows for many years (as far back as I can remember actually) never had an issue, they go mad for it minute the mower starts they are over to the wall looking in.

We don’t have dogs either though. Surely it’s not much more of a risk in lawn clippings than dogs running around fields, climbing on silage in at feedbarriers etc which you regularly see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We don’t have dogs.
    Cattle sometimes eat some of the clippings out under the wire.

I wouldn’t let them free access to the clippings, you can see how they love them though, would eat a serious belly full if they had the chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

You can buy a mini round baler for your lawnmower. Bulling money though.

I’ve a neighbour who’s dogs never leave our silage field, no matter the requests and so far nothing from cattle with poisoning from their dung.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

We lost a cow with her time up carrying twins. She ate a belly full of lawn cuttings that a new blow in neighbour fired over the fence. Now i can't 100% blame the grass but it probablycontributed to it. . She lied down but in an awkward position and rolled over trying to get up.
    By the time I got the call that she was down, she was nearly gone. Another Neighbour who is the next best thing to a vet arrived straight away. He tried to cut the calves out but they were dead along with the cow. The blown in got a very nice visit from me.
    So lesson learned never again will grass cutting be anywhere near my farm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭kerryjack

jimini0 wrote: »
    We lost a cow with her time up carrying twins. She ate a belly full of lawn cuttings that a new blow in neighbour fired over the fence. Now i can't 100% blame the grass but it probablycontributed to it. . She lied down but in an awkward position and rolled over trying to get up.
    By the time I got the call that she was down, she was nearly gone. Another Neighbour who is the next best thing to a vet arrived straight away. He tried to cut the calves out but they were dead along with the cow. The blown in got a very nice visit from me.
    So lesson learned never again will grass cutting be anywhere near my farm

It was nice to be able to take your anger out on someone, neighbour shouldn't have been throghing clippings out over fence ni harm to give him a bolacking, dirty thing, I had a lad through a matrass that he tried to burn over fence, same crowd has a 191 car, wouldn't pay for a skip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

kerryjack wrote: »
    It was nice to be able to take your anger out on someone, neighbour shouldn't have been throghing clippings out over fence ni harm to give him a bolacking, dirty thing, I had a lad through a matrass that he tried to burn over fence, same crowd has a 191 car, wouldn't pay for a skip.

To be fair most people would think feeding the cattle lawn clippings was a good thing.
    Not many people would try to dump a half burned mattress in someone else's field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭9935452

kerryjack wrote: »

I mow silage for a contractor and its amazing how many houses just dump the grass over the back fence even if its into a drain
    A field i was in a few weeks ago one house had a 4ft timber gate in the fence to drive out their ride on lawnmower to dump the grass in a silage field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

O.P. here.

Thanks for all the replies.

I understand that clippings from a lawn that was grown from lawn seed might be dodgy but what about clippings from lawns that weren't seeded but were left to grow in naturally with the same grass that's all around the place?. Would silage made from that be the same as silage that's made in an adjoining field?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

O.P. here.

I understand that clippings from a lawn that was grown from lawn seed might be dodgy but what about clippings from lawns that weren't seeded but were left to grow in naturally with the same grass that's all around the place?. Would silage made from that be the same as silage that's made in an adjoining field?
    If a tractor and mower is used you should be fine
    It’s the lawnmower that caused the issue more than the grass type

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,930 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

If a tractor and mower is used you should be fine
    It’s the lawnmower that caused the issue more than the grass type

What do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

What do you mean?
    Grass cut with a lawnmower heats and causes it to rot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭893bet

Grass cut with a lawnmower heats and causes it to rot

Why does it heat more from lawnmower? As the lawnmower damages it more rather than cutting it cleanly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

O.P. here.

If it's thrown in with cattle in the field, it's bad enough for causing disease risks from dog fouling in the lawn.

If there's a few cuts thrown in on top of each other, it heats while breaking down. The grass on the inside will preserve but the grass on the outside, being exposed to oxygen, will begin to rot. Animals, and especially sheep, will nose through the rotting stuff to get at the preserved grass and will end up getting listeriosis.

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/listeriosis-in-sheep-and-goats

So just don't throw your clippings over the wall. It's your waste and your responsibility to dispose of it properly. And properly means not over the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Kind of a related question.
    I have accumulated a heap of lawn clippings in a corner.
    If thrown in with farmyard manure would they be beneficial when spread on the land. Thinking nitrogen would be good for grass. Lawn is never sprayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Best idea for lawns is to buy a mulching lawnmower. No need to dispose of lawn clippings at all.

A good one will leave virtually no visible residue and the mulched grass helps feed the lawn and cutting time is reduced considerably.

gozunda wrote: »
    Best idea for lawns is to buy a mulching lawnmower. No need to dispose of lawn clippings at all.

A good one will leave virtually no visible residue and the mulched grass helps feed the lawn and cutting time is reduced considerably.

But you gotta cut every 4-5 days is the catch when mulching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

893bet wrote: »
    But you gotta cut every 4-5 days is the catch when mulching.

no - cutting interval will vary considerably with rate of grass growth and weather.

I've used both types and the non mulching lawnmowers are just a pain in the hole by compsrison.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    no - cutting interval will vary considerably with rate of grass growth and weather.

I've used both types and the non mulching lawnmowers are just a pain in the hole by compsrison.

Of course but peak summer it’s every 4-5 days for mulching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

893bet wrote: »
    Of course but peak summer it’s every 4-5 days for mulching.

The mower I have is dual purpose, has a shutter to close the chute for mulching. If you don't get the grass while short and dry the clippings just clog the deck. Very hard to get grass dry over the past few weeks. Robot is on the wish list, but for the moment I have a pile of old clippings to deal with.

Advertisement