Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

Great!
    Very close to me, too and I had no idea it was opening!
    Big mistake, imo, keeping the name.
    Some mightn't agree but I think the 4 Liars was a strong contender for the worst restaraunt in Cork. Why would you keep that name?
    They'll inherit all the terrible Trip Advisor reviews!

I wouldn't disagree with you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Any sign of a menu yet? I hope they do well. I feckin live middle eastern food.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I took a walk up. It was busy but I didn't get to see a menu. Saw some food that looked tasty.
    Will try it out next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Seamai wrote: »
    Glad to hear they're opening, is it the Cotton Ball who are operating it? or is it leased out to someone else? Nothing groundbreaking on the menu but if it's done well there's nothing at all wrong with it and I'm a fan of their beers. Hopefully it will inject even more life into the street which has come on an awful lot in the last few years like you said. Let's hope anyone with aversion to crossing the river can get over it. I've come across this in the past, I think it's more a perception of being far away than a fear of us Norries.
    Anyway, good luck to them or whatever you say to a new bar? break a glass?

Looks like some Cottonball stuff and some of their own from the menu.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I love middle Eastern food too, but if this is just falafel and hummous with burgers and pizza added on, I won't be too excited.

Had some amazing and diverse East Med food in France and UK, I've yet to come across anything like it here. And I find Izz only OK. Orzo can be hit and miss.

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I love middle Eastern food too, but if this is just falafel and hummous with burgers and pizza added on, I won't be too excited.

I feared that when I heard burgers and pizza on the menu, too.
    Going to try it some day next week, regardless. Might be pleasantly surprised.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

You know what BV? I'd like to give it a go. I love that part of the city. So much potential. Let's see what it's like.

Also want to try the new Sri Lankan place, interesting menu, and cheap. Could be good.

Took a walk past this morning, no menu on display but it's very new so will take time for things to bed down I imagine.

522353.jpg

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    You know what BV? I'd like to give it a go. I love that part of the city. So much potential. Let's see what it's like.

Also want to try the new Sri Lankan place, interesting menu, and cheap. Could be good.

Neti's Sri Lankan Curry Pot.

My take on this place:
    Really lovely people.
    Excellent coffee - genuinely one of the better coffees around town, to my taste.
    Lovely home baked cakes and treats.
    Decor is charming in a seaside cafe sort of way.

The curries?
    Oh, what we had was truly awful - most of it went in the bin ( and that's a big deal for us). It seemed like it was cooked by an enthusiastic student who had no grasp of proper cooking. One dish really tasted like an Uncle Ben's sauce.
    The other was supposed to be a slow cooked pork dish but it was cubes of dry, hard pork loin in a sauce - the wrong cut of meat for such a dish and not slow cooked. We were terribly disappointed - both for us and them. It wasn't even something to give feedback about because, where would you start??

Now, having said all that, a friend got two dishes from there and she thought they were really lovely. Perhaps there is more than one chef?

It's not expensive, so not the biggest risk in trying it but it really wasn't for me or Mrs Beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

(Won't name the restaurant but) found a piece of plastic in my soup when dining out at the weekend. Looked like one of the small break-off tabs from microwave tubs of soup. Maybe restaurants use the same kinds of containers, I don't know. But it doesn't create a great impression if a) they're just buying soup from shops and serving it up with a markup and b) not taking care about pieces of the container falling in and being served to the customer. :)

• Advertisement

who_me wrote: »
    (Won't name the restaurant but) found a piece of plastic in my soup when dining out at the weekend. Looked like one of the small break-off tabs from microwave tubs of soup. Maybe restaurants use the same kinds of containers, I don't know. But it doesn't create a great impression if a) they're just buying soup from shops and serving it up with a markup and b) not taking care about pieces of the container falling in and being served to the customer. :)

Commercial kitchens are full of ingredients in plastic containers. It's a bit of a leap to assume that because you found a piece of plastic in your soup that the soup came out of a plastic container. It's possible but, really, that piece of plastic could have come from any container in the kitchen - it could be from an ingredient in the soup.

Foreign bodies can very easily end up in served food. It shouldn't happen but it does, even in the best of kitchens. It's not like it was a piece of glass or a cockroach!

I think it was fair of you to not mention the restaurant.

I think the burgers and pizzas are for the local muck savages. The same crowed who probably would have burned it down if they changed the name to something Syrian.

By the way do they even have a phone number? I might head there tonight. Wondering if I should book a place.

I think the burgers and pizzas are for the local muck savages. The same crowed who probably would have burned it down if they changed the name to something Syrian.

By the way do they even have a phone number? I might head there tonight. Wondering if I should book a place.

I am one of the local mucksavages!

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Jack&jones on pana is gone on the 23rd.

Ditto for me!

Was coming back from a jog earlier so swung by for a look, 7/8 people sitting outside having coffee. Great to see a bit of life in that little square as it's a nice spot this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Isn't penny's building an extension there?

Must have been you there tonight then :)

There was a table of corkonians ayting burgers and pizzas.

I got some of the syrian stuff. Lamb kofte and chicken shish, with rice and salad and babaganoush.

Missus got some lamb meatballs with a similar spread including tabouleh.

Got humus for starters with Syrian flatbread.

I guess I was expecting something totally unique from another planet as I've never had Syrian food specifically. Flavours weren't out of this world but it was middle eastern and I really enjoyed it. I will go back to try and few more things on the menu. Very decent prices for everything. Think the most expensive was a sea bass dish for €16. Which is usually ridiculously expensive in other restaurants.

You could see into the kitchen and it was clean. There was a lady there cooking up the dinners, probably the wife of the owner or at least I like to think so i.e. family run spot.

They are only open a day or so, won't dock any marks or even mention teething problems that always come with running a new restaurant.

They do need to remove some the older Four Liars stuff though. There was a sign up saying "we are now taking Christmas 2018 bookings" LoL

The "candles" on the tables were Shandon Church shaped things with LED lights on them. I think they should keep them actually.

Got free baklava desert but was so stuffed we're gonna have it with coffee tomorrow morning.

I always thought muck savages were country folk :)

Vero Moda on pana also closing on the 23rd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭Be right back

jackrussel wrote: »

That's a shame but I wonder will Penneys expand into that building?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

That's a shame but I wonder will Penneys expand into that building?

That was the plan wasn't it? Perhaps with JD sports moved on now the project might be getting going

Are Vero Moda going somewhere else in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

^ they are in Mahon Point and Blackpool too

does that mean that Jack N Jones are gone too? The interior of that building is superb. It needs to be retained in the Penneys expansion.

does that mean that Jack N Jones are gone too? The interior of that building is superb. It needs to be retained in the Penneys expansion.

I know, just would hate to see another business gone from the city centre. Would Penneys use it for their homeware section? They will surely keep the interior as is.

Vero moda are not in MP, they are in Douglas Court. I said in an earlier post that J&J upstairs are gone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

Penneys have the whole block you would imagine they will keep the vero moda/j&j building intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

I hope its on foot of some move by Penneys, Cook street needs a breath of life on that side badly. Are they not physically contructing anything now but linking the buildings together or what? Never any planning gone through for it, thought there was works in the little alley between them a few months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

I hope its on foot of some move by Penneys, Cook street needs a breath of life on that side badly. Are they not physically contructing anything now but linking the buildings together or what? Never any planning gone through for it, thought there was works in the little alley between them a few months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

jackrussel wrote: »

F*ck sake, all the shops I like are gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sonrisa

Must have been you there tonight then :)

There was a table of corkonians ayting burgers and pizzas.

I got some of the syrian stuff. Lamb kofte and chicken shish, with rice and salad and babaganoush.

Missus got some lamb meatballs with a similar spread including tabouleh.

Got humus for starters with Syrian flatbread.

I guess I was expecting something totally unique from another planet as I've never had Syrian food specifically. Flavours weren't out of this world but it was middle eastern and I really enjoyed it. I will go back to try and few more things on the menu. Very decent prices for everything. Think the most expensive was a sea bass dish for €16. Which is usually ridiculously expensive in other restaurants.

You could see into the kitchen and it was clean. There was a lady there cooking up the dinners, probably the wife of the owner or at least I like to think so i.e. family run spot.

They are only open a day or so, won't dock any marks or even mention teething problems that always come with running a new restaurant.

They do need to remove some the older Four Liars stuff though. There was a sign up saying "we are now taking Christmas 2018 bookings" LoL

The "candles" on the tables were Shandon Church shaped things with LED lights on them. I think they should keep them actually.

Got free baklava desert but was so stuffed we're gonna have it with coffee tomorrow morning.

I was there Sunday afternoon, nice to be able to sit outside.

Mains were tasty, simple middle Eastern food done well I though. That was one of their wives alright, I asked :)

I thought the deserts were particularly good. I got basbousa, which is a kind of a semolina orange cake. Huge portion, took some home for my granny who loved it. And the super strong Arabic coffee!

Advertisement