Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackbirds and windows

Options
  • 01-08-2020 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭

I always have loads of songbirds around my house, especially blackbirds, but at the rate they are flying into the windows of my house their numbers will be dropping dramatically.

In the last two weeks alone there have been four dead blackbirds close to two particular windows and I'm certain it was from colliding. I've actually been in the room twice when birds hit the window, but they weren't killed and flew away before I could identify them, which would suggest there are even more collisions than just the fatal ones.

I've decided to keep the curtains closed, so as to provide a solid backdrop to the two windows, so hopefully that will work, but is this there anything else I can do, or is this just a phase - I think they were mainly young birds.

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

We ordered some of these during the week for similar issues, I'm not sure whether they will work or not but worth a try at least: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B088FRBR1M?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Stickers like the above, or you can get a pen to draw on the window that will show up under UV light (birds will see it) but that you won't be able to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

Stickers like the above, or you can get a pen to draw on the window that will show up under UV light (birds will see it) but that you won't be able to see.

Are these special pens?
    If so, where are they available, as unfortunately another 2 blackbirds and a robin have been added to the list since my first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

megadodge wrote: »
    Are these special pens?
    If so, where are they available, as unfortunately another 2 blackbirds and a robin have been added to the list since my first post.

For the time being use masking tape as a X across the windows they will see it and hopefully wont hit it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

megadodge wrote: »
    Are these special pens?

If you look on Amazon for keywords "bird collision UV sticker liquid" you should get plenty of options!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Black card cutouts will work very well, too. Low tech, but effective. You can get the silhouette of a bird of prey, they won't go near the windows then.

https://www.ecosia.org/images?q=bird+of+prey+silhouette+stickers+anti+collision

Advertisement