Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone recommend an immersion switch?

Options
  • 29-05-2020 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Hi there - I have no IOT stuff @ home.
    Been thinking a WIFI immersion switch would be handy- could switch it on (and more importantly off!) from downstairs etc.

Anyone got/use one that works well and has a good interface/App that they would happily recommend?(and possibly be an app that could control other IOT stuff down the road- although i cant think of any IOT stuff that I might need/want down the road)

It would be installed before the regular sink/bath switch as im aware of potentially overloading the cabling by energizing both elements simultaneously.
    thanks,
    Marty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

Bumping this request...would be so handy in our home!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I use this one on my immersion - very good quality and rated to 16 Amps:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optimum-OP-BM-IHTWF01-Universal-Immersion/dp/B077NBZ3LD/ref=sr_1_2?crid=5PDOS4KDUO65

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭bootser

I have this one in my house find it very good. The app is reliable and there are plenty of options to expand the devices in your house all of which are relatively cheap. Just keep in mind a lot of people have reservations about using a smart switch on your immersion due to the high power, I was wary initially on this unit but I've had it installed for nearly 2 years with no issues.

Wont let me post a link! Google : itead sonoff POW2

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Sonoff TH16 switching a contractor rated for at least 20A (to comply with wiring regulations. Generally an immersion is protected by a 20A MCB so the switching device would have to have the same current rating as a minimum).

Advantages:

1) Cheap
    2) Reliable
    3) When temperature probe is used an approximation of the water temperature.
    4) Inching feature can be used so that the immersion can automatically turn off after a predetermined time.
    5) Google Home and Alex integration possible.
    6) Easy to set up 7 day week timers / schedules via the free app.
    7) Free to use i.e. no recurring running cost (unlike Climote).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Op here- i actually got the one linked by dilallio.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optimum-OP-...d=5PDOS4KDUO65

I havent wired it up yet- I believe the app is good in that you can set timers etc - BUT i believe there is no option to remotely turn it on for say 15 minutes etc- if you are turning it on remotely outside of preset timers you must also switch it off remotely.

@dillalio has this been your experience?

Thanks,
    Marty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

dilallio wrote: »

Which is OK if the immersion is protected by a 16A MCB but normally a 20A MCB is used. This is easily resolved with the addition of a suitably rated contractor (just like the Sonoff which is also rated at 16A).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

2011 wrote: »
    Which is OK if the immersion is protected by a 16A MCB but normally a 20A MCB is used. This is easily resolved with the addition of a suitably rated contractor (just like the Sonoff which is also rated at 16A).

Could you straight up use a 20A switch, like this?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/FreeLeben-Switches-Controller-Compatible-Assistant/dp/B07T7N9LFJ

My intention is to put the switch across the mains as I don't switch between bath and sink.

Advertisement