Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clane

Options
  • 19-07-2010 8:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

We are hoping to buy in the Maynooth/Clane/Straffan area in the next year or so. Maybe sooner, maybe later. My girlfriend has spent a few years in Maynooth in the past but I think it may be too built up for what we are looking for. On Saturday we are looking at a house in Clane. On the Ballinagappa Road so a bit out from the village.

I'm just looking really for some opinions on what Clane is like to live in for a young couple who don't know anyone in the area. Is it friendly? Are the facilities good? I know Maynooth is only over the road so shops wise etc isn't very important but I suppose the likes of gyms, schools, nice walking areas etc would be good to know about. I know a lot of Dubs have moved down there over the last few years so I'd love to hear more about the place if anyone has any experience of moving there recently or from born and bred Clane locals would be great too. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Was born and raised in Clane, moved away for about 10 years then bought there in '06.

It's come on a long way since I was young, the balinagappa road is a nice quiet spot, and will probably stay that way.

Shops are grand, the super valu in clane is one of the best I've actually seen (this from living in town as well). There are 2 gyms in the town, one on its own on the dublin road, and one in the westgrove hotel. Both decent quality but have a look at both, the staff were friendly enough.

Schools -- on the balinagappa road you're actually a few minutes walk from 3 or 4 schools, which are quite good.

In general it's a pretty nice town, it's grown out of the 'locals only' element so newcomers are made pretty welcome. I see where you're coming from with the quiet bit -- I couldn't live in maynooth, it's pretty much an offshoot of Dublin now, with everything that comes with that, I moved out of town to get away from the crazies :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Was born and raised in Clane, moved away for about 10 years then bought there in '06.

It's come on a long way since I was young, the balinagappa road is a nice quiet spot, and will probably stay that way.

Shops are grand, the super valu in clane is one of the best I've actually seen (this from living in town as well). There are 2 gyms in the town, one on its own on the dublin road, and one in the westgrove hotel. Both decent quality but have a look at both, the staff were friendly enough.

Schools -- on the balinagappa road you're actually a few minutes walk from 3 or 4 schools, which are quite good.

In general it's a pretty nice town, it's grown out of the 'locals only' element so newcomers are made pretty welcome. I see where you're coming from with the quiet bit -- I couldn't live in maynooth, it's pretty much an offshoot of Dublin now, with everything that comes with that, I moved out of town to get away from the crazies :-)

Brilliant, thanks for the info, good to know. I really like the Clane/Straffan area. Like you said, Maynooth feels like Dublin but Clane is much less built up and hectic and a bit more Kildare I suppose. She's from Cork and I'm from North Dublin so we're compromising :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Clane is nice, not too built up and still has that village feel. Plenlty of shops, Aldi, Lidl, Tesco express & Super Valu. Pubs ain't bad either ;)
    It is only a few minutes drive from both motorways, train station in Sallins.
    Clane would be more affordable to buy compared to Straffan.
    Either way best of luck with your search.

ronaneire wrote: »
    Clane is nice, not too built up and still has that village feel. Plenlty of shops, Aldi, Lidl, Tesco express & Super Valu. Pubs ain't bad either ;)
    It is only a few minutes drive from both motorways, train station in Sallins.
    Clane would be more affordable to buy compared to Straffan.
    Either way best of luck with your search.

Cheers Ronan, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Silent Death

gerrowadat wrote: »

Its a nice place, good routes, easy access to Dublin and Naas. Its a bit rough round the edges sometimes but its a fairly relaxed town

@ gerrowadat; didnt know you lived in clane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

Yeah Clane is a nice spot I think. Traffic and parking can be a bit tough at times but I suppose you get that in most towns these days.

People are friendly too I find. It nice just to go into the newsagents, coffee shop etc and to feel like your custom is welcomed. Its got all the usualy shops you want (lots of choise for groceries), 2 gyms, one or two decent enough resturants, xtravision, and is handy for getting into Dublin, Naas etc. It looks like there is a good GAA club there if you are into that.

I would opt for Clane over Maynooth myself. The only thing I dont like about Clane is the amount of over development that was allowed out near the Westgrove hotel. The amount of appartments that were built around there was crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Silent Death

Yea some nice places about, the walk down the liffey is nice. There is a great cafe called Relish in the shopping center thats really good

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

yep I moved to Clane recently and love it. dead handy for work in north dublin and naas is only down the road. love it here tbh.

Thanks everyone. Spent the day out there on Saturday and while the house we were actually looking at wasn't for us we had a great day in Clane and it's definitely number one for us now. Just have to wait for the right house to come along now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Sean Seoighe

Bumping an old post but considering though very early days moving from Lucan to Clane. I figure its only an extra 20 mins down the road and we both work near Citywest so if we do have to go to the office its no big hassle.

Looking to find out however if people love living in Clane? Is there areas you'd look to avoid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Clitheroekid

I have been living in Clane since 1972,I never regretted it,lovely place to live,lots of amenities for adults and children

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭BornIn84

im thinking of buying out there too hence the reason i searched for this post.
    Originally from Lucan myself but now in Dundrum and looking for a commuter town to move to where i can buy a house but not be too far from Dublin for work (when that eventually happens again) - nice to hear some positive things about the place.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Living here 10 years now and it's a lovely village. Not sure of the areas to avoid but it all seems fairly nice. Commute wjsez to citywest wouldn't be bad at all but it depends on what side of the vikakge you buy as traffic can be a nightmare. Heading to the N4 in the (pre covid) mornings you'd be better going via celbridge and coming out at weston rather than joining at maynooth. Other than that it's grand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭BornIn84

ChewChew wrote: »
    Living here 10 years now and it's a lovely village. Not sure of the areas to avoid but it all seems fairly nice. Commute wjsez to citywest wouldn't be bad at all but it depends on what side of the vikakge you buy as traffic can be a nightmare. Heading to the N4 in the (pre covid) mornings you'd be better going via celbridge and coming out at weston rather than joining at maynooth. Other than that it's grand :D

Would you consider it better to go to sallins and get a train if you were going into Dublin city? thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Clitheroekid

Also well served by Go Ahead bus company,from early morning and every half-hour to Dublin and from Dublin

Advertisement