Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

walks in county Clare

Options
  • 19-06-2020 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Planning on going away for 2 nights with my wife, would like to do some mountain/hill or even flat walking
    Living near Claregalway, would like to travel for about 1 hour max (can stretch a bit, e.g. Ennistymon.
    Any nice mountain/hill walks around that you'd recommend? Up to 4 or 5 hours would be fine.
    the full Cliffs of Moher walk jumps to my mind, surely there's a few easy to follow trails around the Burren too.
    also any hotel recommendations as well please. Falls Hotel & Spa any good or is it slightly run down? Bunratty Castle hotel?
    Cheers,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭dmc17

The Black Head Loop is supposed to be really nice, especially on a good day with great views. Some of it is captured on Google Street View if you want a look.
    You could also try Mullaghmore in the Burren.
    The Cliffs walk as you mention would be a good one.

Hotel Doolin is a nice spot to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    Planning on going away for 2 nights with my wife, would like to do some mountain/hill or even flat walking
    Living near Claregalway, would like to travel for about 1 hour max (can stretch a bit, e.g. Ennistymon.
    Any nice mountain/hill walks around that you'd recommend? Up to 4 or 5 hours would be fine.
    the full Cliffs of Moher walk jumps to my mind, surely there's a few easy to follow trails around the Burren too.
    also any hotel recommendations as well please. Falls Hotel & Spa any good or is it slightly run down? Bunratty Castle hotel?
    Cheers,
    Pa.

https://www.burrengeopark.ie/discover-and-experience/trails/walking-maps-routes/

The Falls is grand. Wouldn’t be a whole lot of difference between itself and Bunratty Castle Hotel.

You could also try Doolin (Hotel Doolin, Fiddle & Bow), Spanish Point (Armada, Spanish Point House) , Lahinch (Vaughan Lodge) or Lisdoonvarna (Sheedys) for accommodation. I’d be inclined to stay along the coast or North /West Clare if walking in those areas, rather than go as far as Bunratty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Definitely would recommend mullaghmore, theres a couple of nice walks starting in lisdoonvarna out past ballinalacken castle that take you up the caher valley and down into fanore by the beach, i passed that way this evening and it was glorious, you'd have plenty wild goats to keep you company as well.
    Plus one for Sheedys, they run a good ship there and the food is top quality, the Falls has the pool and gym and the hotels in doolin would be fine but I'd prefer Sheedys or the Falls for quality of food alone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Thanks for the replies. I've booked The Falls.
    Did a bit of research and there's plenty of walks around https://outsider.ie/ireland/walks-clare/
    Cliffs of Moher will be open again from 29th but need to book online if we want to do that. Will check out Mullaghmore as well.

While I'm at it where would ye recommend for dinner & also cafes (doesn't have to be in Ennistymon). From what Still waters said looks like food in The Falls in nice

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,931 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Nice walk from Fanore, around Black Head, into Ballyvaughan. A lot of it is on an old famine/green road, so you're off the tarmac but it's a defined, easy to walk trail.

https://www.discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/fanore-to-ballyvaughan-trek/88036

Some seafood chowder in Monks would go down a treat after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,250 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The Kilkee cliff walk is nice. Very much of the Cliffs of Moher type walk, but is closer to a town with amenities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Nice walk from Fanore, around Black Head, into Ballyvaughan. A lot of it is on an old famine/green road, so you're off the tarmac but it's a defined, easy to walk trail.

https://www.discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/fanore-to-ballyvaughan-trek/88036

Some seafood chowder in Monks would go down a treat after that.

Sounds like the perfect day. Soon I hope.
    12 O'Clock Hills near Sixmilebridge is a lovely walk, the view is amazing. (Biased as I am from the area!!)
    Mullaghmore is a favourite of mine too I try to do it at least once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi again,
    Thanks for the replies. I decided to go to Adare instead in the end, (got a fantastic deal for Dunraven Arms- 2 nights B&B €209) but will keep this list for another break or even a day trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

does anyone know if the beach at white strand miltown malbay is reopen for bathing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mieletech

1 Aug Temporary ban on swimming placed by
    @ClareCoCo
    at 4 popular beaches in #Clare due to elevated bacteria levels in the water following heavy rain.

Lahinch
    Spanish Point
    White Strand Miltown Malbay
    Kilkee
    Quilty (front beach).

• Advertisement

does that include surfing? are the surfing schools operating as normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

fryup wrote: »
    does that include surfing? are the surfing schools operating as normal?

Includes surfing. It includes any entry into the water - why would it not? Do you think E-Coli bacteria somehow avoid surfers? Super trendy bacteria who only infect swimmers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Its a conspiracy made up by ccc to keep people away over the bank holiday weekend

Deagol wrote: »
    Includes surfing. It includes any entry into the water - why would it not? Do you think E-Coli bacteria somehow avoid surfers? Super trendy bacteria who only infect swimmers?

well you know, wetsuits and all that :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭dmc17

Don't think a wetsuit will save you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

Jaysus, don't mention that near the Healy-Raes, they'll be calling on the gubermnent to supply them to rural folk in Kerry so they can drive to the pub for a few pints.

Advertisement