Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PAYE - Revenue cancelled Recouping

Options
  • 31-07-2020 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I’m PAYE. I stupidly did a little extra work last year; resulting in me underpaying tax of near €500. That’s fine as Revenue said they would recoup it by reducing my tax credits this year.

So that’s what’s been happening. I then get paid today with a refund of tax. Contacted Revenue as I’m so anxious and cautious of anything to with tax since to say they cancelled the recouping of it and are now going to collect it next year instead? Like, how does that make sense? Why?

Can anyone shed some light?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭J.Ryan

At a guess, they are being human with covid and income issues for people and just have a policy of deferring all 2020 recoups into 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

J.Ryan wrote: »
    At a guess, they are being human with covid and income issues for people and just have a policy of deferring all 2020 recoups into 2021

Thanks for your reply. But surely people should’ve been given the option to opt in or out of this. Never did I see the day of revenue and human in one sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,705 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Were you on PUP?

Were you on PUP?

No I’ve been lucky to keep working all through this.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭relevanc

Thanks for your reply. But surely people should’ve been given the option to opt in or out of this. Never did I see the day of revenue and human in one sentence.

I have always found the Revenue to be very fair to deal with over the years.
    I actually hold them in very high regard. If an individual decides to evade tax either Intentionally or through ignorance then that is a different matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The rest of your post is uncalled for.
    Do you still see them, 100 years on, as Crown Tax collectors?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

The rest of your post is uncalled for.
    Do you still see them, 100 years on, as Crown Tax collectors?

No I don’t! But it was a bit silly of them cancelling the recoup when they more or less had it all recouped! Never mind - I’ll return it all to them on Tuesday and be clear!

relevanc wrote: »
    I have always found the Revenue to be very fair to deal with over the years.
    I actually hold them in very high regard. If an individual decides to evade tax either Intentionally or through ignorance then that is a different matter.

I never intentionally tried to evade tax. I simply did a little extra work, my employer made a mistake of not taxing the correct rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭relevanc

I never intentionally tried to evade tax. I simply did a little extra work, my employer made a mistake of not taxing the correct rate.

I never stated that you did.
    I am pointing out that your poor opinion of Revenue is unwarranted.

relevanc wrote: »
    I never stated that you did.
    I am pointing out that your poor opinion of Revenue is unwarranted.

My opinion is based on my experience... that is obviously different to yours. I’m ok with that but you clearly do have an issue with it. Welcome to Boards...where 90 percent of what you read will be someone’s opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

I had an issue with revenues as will but kind ob opposite.
    They refunded a sigbificant amount of money last year. It didn't make any sense for me, i was expecting a refund but not so high.
    Called them at least 4 occasions, they said the refund was correct.
    Start of 2020 they realised it was a mistake so now i owe them a bunch of money.they are recouping in the next 4 years.
    I would happily repay the whole thing if i hadn't taken time to contact them in multiple occasions. Now they can just wait!
    So i think it was an error on revenue's part they will probably look at it at the end of the year and start the recoup then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

My opinion is based on my experience... that is obviously different to yours. I’m ok with that but you clearly do have an issue with it. Welcome to Boards...where 90 percent of what you read will be someone’s opinion.

Strongly thinking of giving up boards.ie for this very reason. Used to be a place where you could get good advice , feedback etc . Now more or less every thread is derailed because someone doesn't agree with your opinion and won't let it go. And sometimes I become embroiled in it and am guilty of it. Hardly worth it anymore. Good look with your tax situation

I had an issue with revenues as will but kind ob opposite.
    They refunded a sigbificant amount of money last year. It didn't make any sense for me, i was expecting a refund but not so high.
    Called them at least 4 occasions, they said the refund was correct.
    Start of 2020 they realised it was a mistake so now i owe them a bunch of money.they are recouping in the next 4 years.
    I would happily repay the whole thing if i hadn't taken time to contact them in multiple occasions. Now they can just wait!
    So i think it was an error on revenue's part they will probably look at it at the end of the year and start the recoup then.

Thank you. That’s my worry.

Strongly thinking of giving up boards.ie for this very reason. Used to be a place where you could get good advice , feedback etc . Now more or less every thread is derailed because someone doesn't agree with your opinion and won't let it go. And sometimes I become embroiled in it and am guilty of it. Hardly worth it anymore. Good look with your tax situation

Completely agree - it seems no one is allowed to have an opinion. Definitely not worth it. Thanks for your well wish.

Advertisement