Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Credits with 2 jobs!

Options
  • 30-07-2020 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

We are a married couple with a newborn baby :)
    My wife is currently on maternity leave and getting weekly maternity benefit (she used to work full time). Her employer doesn't cover her maternity leave.

In order to boost our take home income, I have decided to work part time in addition to my 40-hours a week job.

This part time job is carried over weekends and few evenings on weekdays (as needed basis). I have received my first pay from this part time job and noticed €0.00 as my Tax Credits. It says Class A1/weeks 2.
    Overall, I have received only 44% of the Gross Pay from this new part time job.

What would be the best way to change the taxes in order to get the maximum take home money for our family?

Thank you all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

how are you currently assessed?
    in passing, don't fall foul of the ORGANISATION OF WORKING TIME ACT, 1997 law re the 40 per week with your main employer

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/hours_of_work/working_week.html

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭masterboy123

We are jointly assessed at present. Tax credits has reduced for spouse due to being on maternity leave.

Annual salary for my 40-hours a week is €65,000.

Annual salary for my part time job is €230,000. Will be doing approximately 8-16 hours a month from this part time job (as required only and most months will be zero hours).

Average will be definitely under 48 hours, but thank you for highlighting this.

Thank you
    how are you currently assessed?
    in passing, don't fall foul of the ORGANISATION OF WORKING TIME ACT, 1997 law re the 40 per week with your main employer

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/hours_of_work/working_week.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

We are jointly assessed at present. Tax credits has reduced for spouse due to being on maternity leave.

Annual salary for my 40-hours a week is €65,000.

Annual salary for my part time job is €230,000. Will be doing approximately 8-16 hours a month from this part time job (as required only and most months will be zero hours).

Average will be definitely under 48 hours, but thank you for highlighting this.

Thank you

When all is said and done you will only receive half the money for your part time job. You can put some credits over to that job but you're just then going to pay more tax in your full time job. You're caught either way with a salary of 65000.

Unless you really need the money I wouldn't bother to be honest. It's the reason nixers exist. Not condoning it as I'll get slated here but there's very little incentive to work extra if it's being declared for tax. We are back busy in work and it's a hard sell trying to get the technicians to do any overtime. They lose it to tax and have very little interest.

I didn't even receive half of the money, got only 44%. Will it remain this way even after adjusting tax credits?
    When all is said and done you will only receive half the money for your part time job. You can put some credits over to that job but you're just then going to pay more tax in your full time job. You're caught either way with a salary of 65000.

Unless you really need the money I wouldn't bother to be honest. It's the reason nixers exist. Not condoning it as I'll get slated here but there's very little incentive to work extra if it's being declared for tax. We are back busy in work and it's a hard sell trying to get the technicians to do any overtime. They lose it to tax and have very little interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

I didn't even receive half of the money, got only 44%. Will it remain this way even after adjusting tax credits?

Not sure how they managed to get 56% deductions when at most it's 40% PAYE, 4% PRSI and 8% USC. So you you should be coming out with 48% nett on the second job not 44%.

If you transfer and credits or rate band to yourself it just means you'll pay more tax in your other job as you are already using them all.

• Advertisement

No, you can set it up that you don't pay any tax on your part time job but you will pay more on your full time one so its all the one. Tax credits are allocated to an individual not to a job. The individual then decides which way they want to share the credits out of there's more than one job. You will be taxed 52% of every extra cent you earn now. Leave your credits with your main job. And it's up to you whether the new job is, worth the effort now. Depends how much you need the money

I just checked the payslip and found this :

TAX 37.5%
    PRSI 3.99%
    USC 8%
    SUPERANNUATION (normal) 6.4%
    ASC 0%
    LPT 0%

Total Deductions = 55.89%

Does this look correct?
    Not sure how they managed to get 56% deductions when at most it's 40% PAYE, 4% PRSI and 8% USC. So you you should be coming out with 48% nett on the second job not 44%.

If you transfer and credits or rate band to yourself it just means you'll pay more tax in your other job as you are already using them all.

Thank you for the advice.

The extra takehome 500-600 a week will definitely help us from this part time job.
    No, you can set it up that you don't pay any tax on your part time job but you will pay more on your full time one so its all the one. Tax credits are allocated to an individual not to a job. The individual then decides which way they want to share the credits out of there's more than one job. You will be taxed 52% of every extra cent you earn now. Leave your credits with your main job. And it's up to you whether the new job is, worth the effort now. Depends how much you need the money

• Registered Users Posts: 59,569 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

It looks like you're probably being taxed using emergency rates for the second job- you'd need to register this second job using your online Revenue account or get the employer to do so.

If you want to allocate some tax credits and standard rate band to that job to minimise the tax on it (although it's swings and roundabouts as your primary job will be hit for any tax saving on the second job) you could opt to do so.

Thank you for the advice.

The extra takehome 500-600 a week will definitely help us from this part time job.

Did you say it carries an annual salary of 230,000?

• Advertisement

I did register the second job online on my Revenue account before I actually started working there and added the start date.

It seems i should not add any tax credits to my second job as I won't be doing it again until November or December 2020.
    It looks like you're probably being taxed using emergency rates for the second job- you'd need to register this second job using your online Revenue account or get the employer to do so.

If you want to allocate some tax credits and standard rate band to that job to minimise the tax on it (although it's swings and roundabouts as your primary job will be hit for any tax saving on the second job) you could opt to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,108 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, it must be a medical consultant role.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I'll be honest...I saw "take home of 500-600 a week after being taxed over fifty per cent"..for a part time gig...and I wondered if a decimal point got misplaced

JayRoc wrote: »
    I'll be honest...I saw "take home of 500-600 a week after being taxed over fifty per cent"..for a part time gig...and I wondered if a decimal point got misplaced

What job pays 500-600 a week for 2 to 4 hours a week and is available on a part time basis?
    Plenty not adding up here now

What job pays 500-600 a week for 2 to 4 hours a week and is available on a part time basis?
    Plenty not adding up here now

As I said above, I'm guessing medical consultant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Geuze wrote: »
    As I said above, medical consultant.

Who doesn't know how tax works?

As I said above, medical consultant.

Just deciding to be a medical consultant because his wife isn't getting maternity pay and wants to earn a few quid?

I just checked the payslip and found this :

TAX 37.5%
    PRSI 3.99%
    USC 8%
    SUPERANNUATION (normal) 6.4%
    ASC 0%
    LPT 0%

Total Deductions = 55.89%

Does this look correct?

Your pension contribution is what is increasing it. That's not a "tax" if you want to call PAYE, USC and PRSI "tax" for simplicity. You are paying into a pension scheme at source.

Just deciding to be a medical consultant because his wife isn't getting maternity pay and wants to earn a few quid?

Are there any other public service jobs paying 230k?

It must be medical consultant??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭paul71

JayRoc wrote: »
    Who doesn't know how tax works?

You'd be surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

paul71 wrote: »
    You'd be surprised.

I wouldn't

Thank you!

I note few people are unhappy with me earning little extra!
    As I said above, I'm guessing medical consultant?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Thank you!

I dont think so.

I guess the question is more: how come the 230k job isn't your full time role?

Because there aren't any full time position available at that position.

Just imagine how attracted you're to this figure and now imagine people who are actually eligible for this post and the associated competition to get this job as your permanent job?
    Also what's your rough guess how many such posts are actually available?

I hope it makes sense now? :)

Tefral wrote: »
    I dont think so.

I guess the question is more: how come the 230k job isn't your full time role?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭paul71

Thank you!

Nope I think the impression I got was one of curiosity.

Thank you paul71.
    Cheers
    paul71 wrote: »
    Nope I think the impression I got was one of curiosity.

I have been going through my Revenue account and noticed the option of sharing Personal tax credit. Would that make any difference given my wife is looking after our newborn baby?

Thank you

I have been going through my Revenue account and noticed the option of sharing Personal tax credit. Would that make any difference given my wife is looking after our newborn baby?

Thank you

Probably easier to leave it as it is for now and carry out a review at the end of the tax year by filing a form 12 tax return for 2020 via MyAccount.

All right. Thanks for this.
    Probably easier to leave it as it is for now and carry out a review at the end of the tax year by filing a form 12 tax return for 2020 via MyAccount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Are there any other public service jobs paying 230k?

It must be medical consultant??

Likely 65k +23k.
    I would have expected 65k be comfortable living...

Advertisement