Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pine marten

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭DrGreenThumb82

Some of the ignorance on display here regarding our rarest native mammal is astounding.

I reckon it won't be long before Joe Duffy is taking calls about a Pine Marten eating someone's baby and a buzzard flying off with their granny.

The biggest threat to our wildlife is ignorant humans with a penchant for killing anything that moves or daring to touch their precious livestock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Deagol wrote: »
    I think you'll find the 325,000 domestic cats in the country (which isn't a native creature to Ireland) kills far more song birds than the 2,700 native Pine Martens!

They do but lets not give cats too bad of a name, cats rarely kill healthy strong birds and usually only get vulnerable older or sick birds that are easy pickings, i know i read an article recently about small bird numbers bouncing back to levels not seen in decades, and QI also did a segment about cats and they're misplaced reputation as bird killers

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

I had a motion sensor camera set up for a while that got short videos of lots of wildlife behind my house. It also caught some shots of my cats. The cats are both a little on the small side but they appear huge when compared to pine martens. It strikes me as very unlikely that a pine marten would take a cat, or even try to. They're beautiful little things. I tried to attach video but it won't let me.
    I grew up close to a river where mink were plentiful however and we lost ducks and hens to them a few times. They're a good deal bigger and much less shy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I have to laugh about people using the "they're wiping out the song birds" argument.

Farmers are the single biggest cause in the reduction of songbirds, followed by domestic cats.

Pine Martens are not having any significant effect .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Pine martins are also dedicated football fans often involved in pitch invasions:)

519517.jpg

519518.jpg519519.jpg

ouch!
    519516.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

He shouldn’t really be surprised he was bitten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

He shouldn’t really be surprised he was bitten

a great catch but probably thought it was a nice furry animal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Aye you’d want a thick pair of mittens on you grabbing a hold of piney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

A Mink has shorter legs and moves closer to the ground, look how high this is standing plus it has a bushy tail.....

50097102751_7db973e0f1_o.png

That picture looks like it could be a wild boar piglet !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Pkiernan wrote: »
    That picture looks like it could be a wild boar piglet !

Nah look at the original pic a few pages back I’m 100 percent sure it’s a pine marten

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I’d say some lad spilled out a can of tuna or a can of cat food on the rock to draw them to it.good video though.

catrat12 wrote: »
    Nah look at the original pic a few pages back I’m 100 percent sure it’s a pine marten

It’s definitely old piney and he after a bath. The tail is after drying out bushy. If you got the front of it on camera you would see the white blaze

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Discussion in RTE1 radio's Today with Sarah McInerney just now about Pine Martens and how they are allegedly killing chickens in Co Clare and how the government should remove their protected status so that they can protect their chickens...
    https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/shows/31986

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Discussion in RTE1 radio's Today with Sarah McInerney just now about Pine Martens and how they are allegedly killing chickens in Co Clare and how the government should remove their protected status so that they can protect their chickens...
    https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/shows/31986

Their protected status will never change, but Marten certainly do love chicken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Had a Marten kill 2 of our chickens so decided to catch and kill the little sh!t.
    Managed to trap him, and then I got soft and let him go.
    Now I leave food out for him away from the chickens and we've become fairly close, can get within 10 meters of him and all he'll do is back up a little, doesn't run away. He loves bananas, even peels them, and odd treat of tuna.
    They are an incredible predator and so nice to see around the place. Have a family of 4 now visit most days.
    Chickens are fully enclosed with 25mm weld mesh and a trial cam monitors them at night, but Marten's seem happy to stay away when there's other sources of food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

corsav6 wrote: »
    Had a Marten kill 2 of our chickens so decided to catch and kill the little sh!t.
    Managed to trap him, and then I got soft and let him go.
    Now I leave food out for him away from the chickens and we've become fairly close, can get within 10 meters of him and all he'll do is back up a little, doesn't run away. He loves bananas, even peels them, and odd treat of tuna.
    They are an incredible predator and so nice to see around the place. Have a family of 4 now visit most days.
    Chickens are fully enclosed with 25mm weld mesh and a trial cam monitors them at night, but Marten's seem happy to stay away when there's other sources of food.

Jesus, dont go on holidays lol

Advertisement