28-02-2020, 17:53   #1
KKV

Send a message via MSN to KKV
Are you debt-free? Has it made much difference to you?

I'm sitting here with two loans hanging over me, one a bank loan that I probably didn't need, and the other the mortgage on the house.

I yearn for the days when I'll look back and think of all this money owed and how much money I'd have in my ass pocket if I didn't have to pay them.

And I wonder, has anyone here cleared the house/car/whatever loan? And avoided getting another loan again? Has it actually made much difference to you? Or is it one of those goals that, when you pay the final mortgage payment you just feel a tad underwhelmed and it makes no odds to you whatsoever?

A fella that works with my brother finished his mortgage and immediately reduced his hours to part time and has claimed he just goes to work now for something to do and he'd never work a full time job again. I wonder is he legitimately happy with that, or after 6 months is he bored to death sitting around the house all day.

What about ye folks on boards? Anyone made it there yet? Any advice or "inspo" as the girlz on facebook say?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-02-2020, 18:01   #3

I've never taken out a loan or a mortgage, so I've always been debt-free. I generally prefer to save, rather than borrow. Not sure I'll manage to do that when it comes to eventually buying a house. Unless there's another huge crash...
28-02-2020, 18:10   #4
eviltwin

My only loan is my mortgage and that's nearly paid so that will be my last loan. I'm just going to save the money for any big expense that might crop up.
28-02-2020, 18:11   #5
Berties_Horse

I'm now debt-free fortunately, and live within my means. Sleep better at night.
Advertisement
28-02-2020, 18:15   #6

Yes. First step was getting lucky years ago: had all the usual loans and mortgage. Spotted tracker option as the banks began throwing money at people. Consolidated all borrowing into new mortgage, got garden done and was still saving 200 a month on what I had been paying off. That made a huge difference especially in crash. Owe nothing now.

Has that made a difference? Yes. Sense of satisfaction and conclusion. And I still say fcuk BoI and thank you Ulster Bank.
(3) thanks from:
28-02-2020, 18:18   #7
somefeen

I've never actually taken out a loan for anything.
When I eventually do it will be for a house.

Even though my financial situation still isn't ideal, not having to worry about making payments on things means I can walk out of a job anytime I like. At the moment I keep 3 months of expenses locked away and have actually just recently quit my job.
28-02-2020, 18:21   #8
Boozybooze
Banned

I'm considering getting a mortgage in the next three months but as a single person think I'm just going to pack in my job, travel the world instead and work and just keep a deposit in savings if I do eventually settle down.

Not sure my plan but it's too retire as early as I possible can and having big loans won't let that happen
Thanks from:
28-02-2020, 18:23   #9
Still waters

I have a mortgage, a bank loan and credit union loan, all small and easily managed but can be a pain in the arse at times, only a little over a year left on the 2 smaller loans, I'm building a shed next year so when the small loans are paid ill borrow a few bob to do that, i always found it easier to repay a loan than to save money, I've about 7 grand in savings so i borrow against that from credit union
Advertisement
28-02-2020, 18:27   #10
RWCNT

Just the mortgage. I don't really "feel" as though I'm in debt though.

I need a place to live in and it's cheaper than what I paid before in rent, doesn't feel like something weighing me down.
28-02-2020, 18:30   #11
Jim_Hodge

Now debt free as the mortgage is cleared. That let us save more and we could holiday or change the car without loans. Having the family all reared and flying the coop helped too.
28-02-2020, 18:33   #12

No debt at the moment, I’ve had loans in the past for cars etc and never bothered me at all as they were very manageable. Will soon be getting a decent enough sized mortgage for building our house. Looking forward to getting started with that and not really bothered about the mortgage debt.
28-02-2020, 18:47   #13
Leg End Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCNT View Post
Just the mortgage. I don't really "feel" as though I'm in debt though.

I need a place to live in and it's cheaper than what I paid before in rent, doesn't feel like something weighing me down.
The security is worth it too, no need to worry about eviction or paying rent when older.

Mortgage and small loan (will be cleared soon) for me, credit card if needed too. I'm also better at repaying debt than saving. Debt doesn't bother me once it's manageable.
Thanks from:
28-02-2020, 18:56   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Hodge View Post
Now debt free as the mortgage is cleared. That let us save more and we could holiday or change the car without loans. Having the family all reared and flying the coop helped too.
Welcome back
28-02-2020, 18:57   #15
Leg End Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persepoly View Post
Welcome back
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image