Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running power to a garage

Options
  • 20-01-2019 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi All,

Apologies if this is the wrong section.

I’m having a concrete garage built at the end of my garden I know I have to bury a cable ( and will obviously have to have a professional run the cable) I’m just wondering how deep it has to go as I may dig it myself.

Also our fuse board is in the utility room which is in the center of the house (it’s a new build) does a cable have to be ran from there to the garage or can it go from somewhere else. From the meter box or from the back of an existing socket?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Use SWA cable.
    According to rules (from memory) 450mm deep in domestic gardens. I did my own one and didn't go that deep (due to lazyness).
    Ideally go from fuseboard so it is it's own circuit. Can go from a socket near the back of the house but will have a reduced capacity. If it's just a couple of lights and a socket or two (no heating) then should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 standtwo

Use SWA cable.
    According to rules (from memory) 450mm deep in domestic gardens. I did my own one and didn't go that deep (due to lazyness).
    Ideally go from fuseboard so it is it's own circuit. Can go from a socket near the back of the house but will have a reduced capacity. If it's just a couple of lights and a socket or two (no heating) then should be fine.

Thanks we gave a high mounted kitchen socket we never use so maybe that can be tapped. It would need to cross the concrete so I imagine I would have to dig that up to get wire across?

I think the fuse board would be a non-runner as the wires would have to go through a few walls and I can’t imagine that will go over well.

I’d be putting in a few lights and running a router and maybe a drill press (not at the same time). Would it handle that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

standtwo wrote: »
    Thanks we gave a high mounted kitchen socket we never use so maybe that can be tapped. It would need to cross the concrete so I imagine I would have to dig that up to get wire across?

I think the fuse board would be a non-runner as the wires would have to go through a few walls and I can’t imagine that will go over well.

I’d be putting in a few lights and running a router and maybe a drill press (not at the same time). Would it handle that?

Yeah, that would be grand.
    The cable can also be clipped to a wall if that is easier.

Advertisement