Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job prospects with a 2.2 teaching degree

Options
  • 17-01-2019 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi guys,

I'm in the final year of my teaching degree and based on my results I'm on track for a 2.2 and my final placement grade wasn't that great, it right in the middle of the grading scale they use.

Will a 2.2 degree with a placement grade that's not the best affect my chances of getting a job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

If you teach Irish, maths, physics, chemistry or home economics you should be fine for temporary work anyway. Once you get some experience it won't impact you too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Chi45 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm in the final year of my teaching degree and based on my results I'm on track for a 2.2 and my final placement grade wasn't that great, it right in the middle of the grading scale they use.

Will a 2.2 degree with a placement grade that's not the best affect my chances of getting a job?

Subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Chi45

Hi guys,

Grueller wrote: »
    Subject?

Don't want to say in case it identifies me but it would not be a core subject

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Tis experience you need then. Just forget about PME grades and position yourself to be the right person in the right place at the right time. Work on extra curricular interests too, call in favours from relatives. People with 1.1s might be giving it just as hard to find work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭doc_17

Well, it’s your subject that determines whether you have a good chance of getting a job or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Never mind your degree results; a disturbing number of principals still want to see your own Leaving Cert results.

As said above 2.2 should be fine if you're in one of the listed shortage subjects. If you excel in a sport or music etc that's a bonus.

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Never mind your degree results; a disturbing number of principals still want to see your own Leaving Cert results.

As said above 2.2 should be fine if you're in one of the listed shortage subjects. If you excel in a sport or music etc that's a bonus.

Yeah, that's the thing I'm not in one the listed shortage subject. My subject would be one of the ones with a practical element, so not like your history or business etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Strongly depends on subjects. If its biology or woodwork, they're quite plentiful. If it's core subjects, it's hard to get anyone. But if you are good and get subbing experience that u can use as reference, you'll get there. If you are poor at classroom management, work ethic and ability, you won't get a job no matter what your subjects. I see a few in demand subject teachers around with no decent work and unfortunately there's a reason why.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Strongly depends on subjects. If its biology or woodwork, they're quite plentiful. If it's core subjects, it's hard to get anyone. But if you are good and get subbing experience that u can use as reference, you'll get there. If you are poor at classroom management, work ethic and ability, you won't get a job no matter what your subjects. I see a few in demand subject teachers around with no decent work and unfortunately there's a reason why.

While it could be improved upon, I don't have any major issues with classroom management. My work ethic or ability wouldn't be an issue either. My supervisor visits definitely could have gone better, Had the best of the intentions but the nerves got to me a bit, so i got dinged a bit for my timing off or forgetting to bring some equipment I needed. Some of the classes I didn't have visits for went brilliant, so I just really annoyed with myself that I didn't bring that over to my supervisor visits. I reckon I'll be getting a 2.2 because there were 2 assignments that the results were not has strong as I was hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Yeah, that's the thing I'm not in one the listed shortage subject. My subject would be one of the ones with a practical element, so not like your history or business etc

Honestly unless you are teaching Latin and Agricultural Economics saying you have a 2.2 degree in any subject is not going to identify you here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Really doubt it'll be much of an issue. Put on your CV you received a 2nd class honours. If they want to question you further at an interview let them but they probably won't.
    There are usually many more questions about teaching and learning, extra curriculars etc than there are about your qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

It shouldnt be an issue, principals take your experience and knowledge into account, You cant judge somebodies teaching ability in a handful of lessons when youre likely to be nervous, there are lots of things that can effect your teaching practice grade so I dont think theyre a true reflection of your teaching abilities.
    When I was doing my teacher training I had one lecturer for 2 of my visits and a different lecturer for one of them. The second lecturer gave me an A, 97% in my teaching practice and sang my praises throughout my report, the first lecturer gave me under 60 for both the visits he did, there was no difference in how I taught or planned my lessons for any of my visits, there was just no pleasing the first lecturer and he made up things to criticise, had I been given the second lecturer for two visits, I would have gotten an A+ for my teaching practice. Having chatted to lots of teachers ive worked with, lots of them had similar experiences, and having chatted to principals I think that generally, they understand that teaching practice marks arent worth the paper their written on, unless youve barely passed, they dont focus on it.
    Principals and management really only care about how you work with the children and other staff members, can you meet with parents and represent the school well, can you effectively meet deadlines and understand whats required in terms of students level, work load and course content. Your work ethic is the most important thing.

It shouldnt be an issue, principals take your experience and knowledge into account, You cant judge somebodies teaching ability in a handful of lessons when youre likely to be nervous, there are lots of things that can effect your teaching practice grade so I dont think theyre a true reflection of your teaching abilities.
    When I was doing my teacher training I had one lecturer for 2 of my visits and a different lecturer for one of them. The second lecturer gave me an A, 97% in my teaching practice and sang my praises throughout my report, the first lecturer gave me under 60 for both the visits he did, there was no difference in how I taught or planned my lessons for any of my visits, there was just no pleasing the first lecturer and he made up things to criticise, had I been given the second lecturer for two visits, I would have gotten an A+ for my teaching practice. Having chatted to lots of teachers ive worked with, lots of them had similar experiences, and having chatted to principals I think that generally, they understand that teaching practice marks arent worth the paper their written on, unless youve barely passed, they dont focus on it.
    Principals and management really only care about how you work with the children and other staff members, can you meet with parents and represent the school well, can you effectively meet deadlines and understand whats required in terms of students level, work load and course content. Your work ethic is the most important thing.

Thanks, that has made me feel less anxious, I was worried that after working hard to come in the degree to come out with a 2.3 may affect my chances of getting a job. I do have a good volunteering background and got on very well with both the vice and principal of my last placement school. So hopefully that will stand to me

Also remember that the vast majority of people do not get a 1.1 in either their degree, dip or teaching degree. You'll find people's subject combinations have a much bigger effect on whether or not they find work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Also remember that the vast majority of people do not get a 1.1 in either their degree, dip or teaching degree. You'll find people's subject combinations have a much bigger effect on whether or not they find work.

'Back in my day', substantially more than half my class group of about fifty got a Pass degree. Does that even exist nowadays? One person got a First. Any of them still teaching (and many are not) would have another five or more years to go before standard retirement, so there are lots of folk out there with Pass degrees, many of them among the best teachers I ever knew.

spurious wrote: »
    'Back in my day', substantially more than half my class group of about fifty got a Pass degree. Does that even exist nowadays? One person got a First. Any of them still teaching (and many are not) would have another five or more years to go before standard retirement, so there are lots of folk out there with Pass degrees, many of them among the best teachers I ever knew.

I teach with a few of them myself. It’s called third class honours now to differentiate between the honours degree and ordinary degree (diploma)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭pnecilcaser

Ironically you don't really want a 1.1 in a teaching degree, usually I see these kinds of students feel dissatisfied with teaching and usually want to go on to do other things. A 2.1 or 2.2 is perfectly fine - it indicats that the graudyae has achieved an honors degree and nailed the learning outcomes of the course - i.e. you can teach.

As has been pointed out, hiring principals look for much more than a number and in the professional world of teaching your degree results quickly go the way of your leaving cert results - within a few weeks you don't even thing about them and they stop being relevant. If you want to be more employable take the advice of other people here who have pointed out that you should be involved in more than just your core subject. Principal are looking for people who will add value to their school in more ways that delivering consistently good lessons.

They want people who are regularly involved in CPD (Continual professional development) or involved in after schools activities whether that be sport or coding or running extra lessons - focus on developing those aspects rather than worrying about if you got a 1st or a 2nd. You can consider post grad qualifications later on in your career which is where the study pays off in terms of your pay scale.

Advertisement