Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Issues with heating after bleeding a radiator

• 16-01-2019 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

We have a Gas-fired Boiler for our Central Heating (Worcester Greenstar 24i). It usually heats all 8 radiators in our Bungalow and it also heats the water in the Immersion.

Anyhow, a few days ago, as it's gotten colder after being milder, I noticed that some radiators weren't as hot as others. I tried bleeding them, and none of them had any air in them, apart from the double one in our kitchen which seemed to have quite a lot. I bled that and it almost instantly warmed up.

However, since then I now have four other radiators that only get luke warm at best, and one that basically stays cold. The other three, including the one I bled, work fine. I can also hear what sounds like slowly dripping or running water in the Hot Press when the heating comes on, which I never heard before.

I tried closing the valve that stops the CH heating the water in the Immersion. That didn't stop the noise coming from the Hot Press, but it did seem to heat up the lukewarm/cold radiators a little more.

Any ideas what might be causing this? I wonder, if by bleeding the air out of the double radiator, do I now need to open some valve to let more water into the CH system to replace that air? In other words, do I now have not enough water in the CH system? Or am I just making that logic up? I'm thinking I'll get a plumber in (the Boiler could do with a service anyhow) but is there anything I can do to get the Radiators working while waiting for them to visit?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

wonder if the radiators balancing, turn off all radiators bar the one that does not get warm,see if it gets hot if it does turn on other radiators but only 1/4 of turn, dont turn valve fully on, might be worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭jasonb

Thanks... In the end things escalated, the Boiler started leaking water yesterday. Got the Heating guy in today and he replaced a leaking valve, serviced the boiler, tested all the Rads etc. and it's all working fine again now. Good job too, we'd no heating last night and it was a cold one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Cerco

IMHO you need to top up the water in your system after bleeding. Water will replace air and water lost in bleeding. I would also check the pressure on your system against the recommended pressure for your boiler installation.

Some experts, on here, will undoubtedly advise.

Advertisement