Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specialized future shock safety recall - diverge and roubaix

Options
  • 15-01-2019 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this has been posted but specialized have recalled certain models of Roubaix and Diverge, amongst I think other bikes that have the future shock

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/safety-notices

I think they will replace the part for free. I bought mine online from the North and was told I can bring it to the boutique / Heathrow airport duty free styled shop in Brownsbarn to get it fixed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

a148pro wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted but specialized have recalled certain models of Roubaix and Diverge, amongst I think other bikes that have the future shock

I think they will replace the part for free. I bought mine online from the North and was told I can bring it to the boutique / Heathrow airport duty free styled shop in Brownsbarn to get it fixed
    I sent them my frame number and they quickly confirmed My bike was not affected. Efficient communications from them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭py

Luxman wrote: »
    I sent them my frame number and they quickly confirmed My bike was not affected. Efficient communications from them

How do you find the ride quality in general? Much of a difference from a standard road bike? I'm leaning towards a Roubaix or Trek Domane when I go for an upgrade later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

py wrote: »
    How do you find the ride quality in general? Much of a difference from a standard road bike? I'm leaning towards a Roubaix or Trek Domane when I go for an upgrade later this year.
    I have a Diverge and have to say I love the futureshock takes a lot of rattle out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I have a diverge and have ridden a mate's roubaix

Feels very different from a road bike, kind of like cycling on a marshmallow. I have a standard road bike also and if I didn't I think I'd miss the road response you get from a good road bike. Diverge opens all kind of routes though which I love.

Horses for courses. N+1.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Know of some very bad bearing issues on a Roubaix.
    Based upon reports from the field, the steerer tube collar on select Roubaix, Ruby, Diverge, and Sirrus bicycles may be susceptible to stress corrosion cracking. When that happens, it may result in a sudden loss of steering control while riding.

And
    Specialized has taken full responsibility for the crash that put Niki Terpstra out of Paris-Roubaix, after a pre-production part suffered a catastrophic failure on the cobbles.

Terpstra crashed on the Maing to Monchaux-sur-aillon cobbled sector, with dramatic photos of the incident showing that his stem and steerer tube had detached, sending the Dutchman over his detached bars and on to the cobbles.

According to Mark Cote, Specialized’s leader of global marketing, and Mike Sinyard, Specialized’s CEO, the failure was caused by a “miscommunication” that led to Terpstra using an unsuitable pre-production version of a rigid steer cartridge, rather than an engineered version that had been designed to survive the race.

Statistically significant? Maybe not, but makes ya wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

I have a diverge and have ridden a mate's roubaix

Feels very different from a road bike, kind of like cycling on a marshmallow. I have a standard road bike also and if I didn't I think I'd miss the road response you get from a good road bike. Diverge opens all kind of routes though which I love.

Horses for courses. N+1.

Marshmallow good on meath roads in winter :) I agree though in summer when it is all very nice and fast the diverge will be put away to recover

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

py wrote: »

I started off with a alu Trek Emonda, and found it a little harsh on rides over 1.5 hours (I'm not in my first flush of youth, and the discs in my neck are a bit degenerated these days).
    I now have a carbon Domane and it's much more comfortable on long rides. With an endurance bike like the Domane, you do sacrifice a bit of the sharpness of a race bike (longer wheelbase and slightly lower BB), but you do get used to it and, on a few rides, I've decided to take a longer route because I'm enjoying it so much, which compares favourably to some rides on the Emonda where I turned back early because I had soreness in the neck and some hand numbness.
    I still have the Emonda (going up for sale shortly), and I tried it for a 1.5 hour ride before Christmas, and found the old issues cropping up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinwing

Brought my Roubaix in to Specialized Brownsbarn close beside Citywest this morning to have T73 steerer collar recall done. Did not even know this Specialized bike store was in existence till I got recall notice from Rutland cycles UK where I bought it online , they gave me a link to it . Rutland refused to send me over the replacement steerer collar to fit myself. Specialized Brownsbarn is an Amazing shop and wonderful staff and skilled mechanics , did an excellent job on the recall . They offered me a coffee while I was waiting . You could eat your dinner off the floor its so clean . Anybody interested in bikes should pay it a visit , well worth an hours browsing . They have an amazing stock of Specialized bikes and all bike related gear. Bought a pair of Specialized gloves while I was waiting !! Sorry I did not buy my Roubaix from them in Brownsbarn I would have done so if I knew at the time . I know where I will be buying in future. I had to do a lot of disassembly and redo crude work when I received bike from Rutland , the Rutland guys could not be bothered to assemble a bike properly or employ good mechanics .

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its only open a short while now, prior to that you could have bought from them but they had no physical store.

And its more of a museum than a store :pac:

Advertisement