Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Bosch dish washer

Options
  • 28-12-2018 4:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

I have an integrated Bosch dish washer. 4 1/2 years old. Cost €400. Fixing it €100 plus spares. Is it worth fixing or should I replace it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭antietam1

restive wrote: »
    I have an integrated Bosch dish washer. 4 1/2 years old. Cost €400. Fixing it €100 plus spares. Is it worth fixing or should I replace it?

D.I.D has that one at €399, I wonder would the new model be an exact fit(60cm size)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

antietam1 wrote: »
    D.I.D has that one at €399, I wonder would the new model be an exact fit(60cm size)

Yes usually come as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

what is supposed to be wrong with it?

what is supposed to be wrong with it?

The little spin wheel that empties the water is not functioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

The little spin wheel that empties the water is not functioning.

Fix it

• Advertisement

corglass wrote: »
    Fix it

At what cost? What I am asking is at what cost is it better to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

You can buy that part on eBay for 25 quid and replace it yourself. Very DIYable job. Try that before replacing the entire machine.

Edit: downside is you might have to wash the dishes for a week until it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

At what cost? What I am asking is at what cost is it better to replace it.

You've already explained the costs is your OP.

if the machine is not draining the most likely cause is that something has got into the pump because the rectangular filter has not been locked into position, to repair it remove the trays and bail out all the water from the sump of the machine. when you look down into it you will see a section of the pump housing which can be removed by pulling up with a pliers and you will then see the impellar which you are describing as the spin wheel. you need to rotate this with a screwdriver as it is quite likely stuck with a piece of glass etc. if it feels free then switch machine back on and press the reset buttons and switch off again when it shows end. Switch on again in any programme and the first thing it will do is empty. if you hear the pump rotating you have it freed but it still wont empty until you have refitted the section of pump housing. if the section of the pump housing is missing it will NOT PUMP

if the machine is not draining the most likely cause is that something has got into the pump because the rectangular filter has not been locked into position, to repair it remove the trays and bail out all the water from the sump of the machine. when you look down into it you will see a section of the pump housing which can be removed by pulling up with a pliers and you will then see the impellar which you are describing as the spin wheel. you need to rotate this with a screwdriver as it is quite likely stuck with a piece of glass etc. if it feels free then switch machine back on and press the reset buttons and switch off again when it shows end. Switch on again in any programme and the first thing it will do is empty. if you hear the pump rotating you have it freed but it still wont empty until you have refitted the section of pump housing. if the section of the pump housing is missing it will NOT PUMP

I emptied the water and the impellar is spinning freely. However the diswasher is still flooding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭antietam1

Yes usually come as standard.

Could be the shape has changed over the four and a half years since he bought the last one, and not physically fit.

Just a quick question. Is it worth more spending 6-800 Euro on a new one than 4 -500 Euro. Will there be much difference in the results?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

We had a 3.5 year old integrated dishwasher from bosh . That model had a heat pump for drying . These fail and replacement for the part alone was 160 plus delivery 20 ( cheapest onlin) .
    From google it seems a common enough failure . We bit the bullet an bought another washer.

Bosh are supposed to be good but that replacement cost made it not worth it . Bought an Electrolux for 350.

This is the problem with planned obsolescence , they're only designed to last a certain amount of time (far shorter than what is possible with good engineering) and the spares are sold at inflated prices to discourage repairs.

3.5 years from showroom to scrapyard is outrageous!

I emptied the water and the impellar is spinning freely. However the diswasher is still flooding.

if you have done the checks the way I outlined, that you have the pump impellar cover refitted and you can hear the pump running after a reset the only thing that can prevent it from emptying is a blockage at the end of the waste pipe. As regards replacing it with another integrated machine they will all fit into the same aperture fitting the wooden door panel will vary

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

if you have done the checks the way I outlined, that you have the pump impellar cover refitted and you can hear the pump running after a reset the only thing that can prevent it from emptying is a blockage at the end of the waste pipe. As regards replacing it with another integrated machine they will all fit into the same aperture fitting the wooden door panel will vary

Reminds me of the car-less neighbour asking me would I bring his Sony 42" TV to Powercity to scrap it.

"What's wrong with it" I asked. "Dunno - it just stopped working"

One replacement plug fuse later....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is the problem with planned obsolescence , they're only designed to last a certain amount of time (far shorter than what is possible with good engineering) and the spares are sold at inflated prices to discourage repairs.

3.5 years from showroom to scrapyard is outrageous!

Not something I'd accuse Bosch of. Parts shouldn't be an issue either, got some original parts for my (then) 18 year old dishwasher last January. Also this sounds like a blockage not a parts failure.

L1011 wrote: »
    Not something I'd accuse Bosch of. Parts shouldn't be an issue either, got some original parts for my (then) 18 year old dishwasher last January. Also this sounds like a blockage not a parts failure.
    Fair comment, Bosch are better than most, but they still make them to last far shorter than they could with only minor upgrades to critical parts.

Long lasting products are bad for business!

Advertisement