Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brands to avoid?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would avoid oxford locks, very poor design on the ones I had, and keys broke in them.

I have the yellow krypotnite, if going again I would have got the 18mm diameter motorbike version.

ON guard make very good value locks. Keys are very good too.
    Amazon have lots. https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=on+guard+locks

I think there best is below the standard of kryptonite and Abus's best, but is on a par with maybe their second best locks, but much cheaper.

I got my kryptonite online pretty cheap, nearly half what shops here charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Qrt wrote: »
    any opinions would be great :)

Don't get the one with front shocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Does anybody have experience with Ridgeback bikes? I've not heard of them before.

A good reliable bike. I bought second hand a couple years ago and it has had lots of use since then with no issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Qrt

Effects wrote: »
    Don't get the one with front shocks.

Are front shocks an issue or did you just use it to describe it?

I’ve ordered the Lapierre one, not paid for though so I’m under no obligation to pay for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Are front shocks an issue or did you just use it to describe it?

I’ve ordered the Lapierre one, not paid for though so I’m under no obligation to pay for it.

Front shocks on any bike that is mainly for road or commuting is a bad idea as you lose alot of energy through them. They increase the weight, slow you down, and generally add in hassle without benefit in regards bikes for road use.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Front shocks on any bike that is mainly for road or commuting is a bad idea as you lose alot of energy through them. They increase the weight, slow you down, and generally add in hassle without benefit in regards bikes for road use.

Oh right, I didn't realise they were that heavy. I had a look at the one I used in Germany and it had none, so I should probably rethink this I guess.

Oh right, I didn't realise they were that heavy. I had a look at the one I used in Germany and it had none, so I should probably rethink this I guess.

Some are not too bad but they will still add on close to a kilo in many cases. The suspension bit, while comfy, means you lose alot of energy overcoming it. It's one of the main reasons mountain bikes are so slow compared to road bikes in regards commuting.

Out of the two you have linked, the Trek Escape is the better bike. You may need to invest in a set of wheels in a year or two, but you'll get OK ones for a reasonable price, maybe even second hand here.

Whats your upper price range though, for a little more, you could probably get a lot more. Also are you restricted to CSS or will any bricks and Mortar shop in Dublin do?

CramCycle wrote: »
    Some are not too bad but they will still add on close to a kilo in many cases. The suspension bit, while comfy, means you lose alot of energy overcoming it. It's one of the main reasons mountain bikes are so slow compared to road bikes in regards commuting.

Out of the two you have linked, the Trek Escape is the better bike. You may need to invest in a set of wheels in a year or two, but you'll get OK ones for a reasonable price, maybe even second hand here.

Whats your upper price range though, for a little more, you could probably get a lot more. Also are you restricted to CSS or will any bricks and Mortar shop in Dublin do?

I chose that because it's relatively close, and I've never really cycled on the road before...ever. Mind I did see a Trek FX for sale, although my whole plan for getting it from Dublin2Bikes was to bring it on the train to Adamstown and cycle home from there, but the Phoenix Park Tunnel services are still peak-only, i.e. IÉ wouldn't let me bring it on the train from Pearse.

The fella in the shop directed me towards a Cube for €600, but it was quite a visibly good bike, so I'd rather not have the exacerbated theft worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I’ve had mine since 2007.. ;)

If only there was some way to incorporate that into a username....

• Advertisement

Update: I FINALLY got a bike, Giant Escape 3, grand tbh, saddle is a tad high but that’s easily fixed. Got a kryptonite D/U lock, just wondering if the D/U part is meant to wiggle a bit when it’s in the lock part?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

Kryptonite locks do rattle a bit when locked - if it's the older design where you hook one side of the D in, and then swivel the other into the lock, it can be silenced by super-gluing a bit of old inner tube to the tip of the D, but if it's the newer design, where both sides of the D slide in together, then it just rattles...

Another quick question, bike became without a bell, that normal?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Did you get the parts bag (spare hanger, allen key, possibly reflectors)? There's often a crappy bell in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

From experience bells are pretty useless with noise of city traffic etc. Motorists can't hear them and pedestrians ignore them in the city or can't heat them. There is also a time delay in the brain registering that it needs to ring the bell and actually doing so. I reply on my voice. It's far more reactive than the hand/bell combo. It also gets peoples attention and even motorists can hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭chicorytip

From experience bells are pretty useless with noise of city traffic etc. Motorists can't hear them and pedestrians ignore them in the city or can't heat them. There is also a time delay in the brain registering that it needs to ring the bell and actually doing so. I reply on my voice. It's far more reactive than the hand/bell combo. It also gets peoples attention and even motorists can hear it.

Neither bell nor voice will alert your typical headphone wearer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

chicorytip wrote: »
    Neither bell nor voice will alert your typical headphone wearer.

My voice can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I disagree people know the sound of a bell and usually react better to it than someone roaring at them.

A decent bell tend to cut though a lot of other noise I find. I've added them to most of my bikes and find them useful.

My voice can.

Mine too, I am used like a town crier at work when peoples attention is needed. I can bring a room of 100+ to silence with ease. It's low and loud so cuts through everything without appearing rude unless I need it too.

Bells I have seen bring people to stand in the way in indignation, even though I would have taken a bell ring warning as a polite way to just let someone know your there, nowadays many people take it as a sign of rudeness and will block the path on purpose.

This isn't helped by some bell ringers who cycle right up the arse of others and then start ringing like an asshat.

ED E wrote: »
    Did you get the parts bag (spare hanger, allen key, possibly reflectors)? There's often a crappy bell in there.

I got the bike, no parts bag, I just cycled it home really... I feel like I should've now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

beauf wrote: »
    I disagree people know the sound of a bell and usually react better to it than someone roaring at them.

A decent bell tend to cut though a lot of other noise I find. I've added them to most of my bikes and find them useful.

I agree. My bell is more effective with pedestrians than my much louder Hornit electronic buzzer - presumably because more people recognise it.

It is a little cumbersome in emergencies - voice does come into play there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

I got the bike, no parts bag, I just cycled it home really... I feel like I should've now...

Any decent LBS should give you one of the included-with-the-bike bells for free, if you ask nicely.

I find them useful on shared pathways - give a single ding when approaching from behind, and then say thanks a million or similar when they move over.
    However, on a busy road, they are pointless, and a loud "OI!" gives the best results.

Type 17 wrote: »
    Any decent LBS should give you one of the included-with-the-bike bells for free, if you ask nicely.

Strangely enough, this is exactly what happened! I was chuffed to say the least, I wasn't keen on getting one of the fancier bigger ones.

Advertisement