Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish conspiracy theorists.

• 08-08-2018 4:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Who are the homegrown versions of Alex Jones here? Do they command a large following? One example is this guy, Gearoid O Colmain. A girl I was FB friends with shared this on her feed after the Paris attacks. I found it mind boggling that any self respecting news agency would bring this guy on as a political commentator but then I wasn't all that familiar with RT at the time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Our culture of saying "ah, would you fuck off outta that" when someone is talking shite, doesn't really lend itself to the dissemination of conspiracy theories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Who are the homegrown versions of Alex Jones here? Do they command a large following? One example is this guy, Gearoid O Colmain. A girl I was FB friends with shared this on her feed after the Paris attacks. I found it mind boggling that any self respecting news agency would bring this guy on as a political commentator but then I wasn't all that familiar with RT at the time.

Russia Today.

The channel that spends more time excoriating the West than talking about life in...ahem Russia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Our culture of saying "ah, would you fuck off outta that" when someone is talking shite, doesn't really lend itself to the dissemination of conspiracy theories.

Hence why no Right Wing lunatics like Justin Barrett will ever get into power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

There is a crowd called Those Conspiracy guys, from what I’ve read about them on the conspiracy theory board they are attention seekers who drag the ass out of everything.

we have a board for it here

not sure how that washes vs the policy of no speculation across rest of site, and obv most ppl posting to it are lunatics but thats life have to put em somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Ipso wrote: »
    There is a crowd called Those Conspiracy guys, from what I’ve read about them on the conspiracy theory board they are attention seekers who drag the ass out of everything.

They seem more tongue in cheek than serious tinfoil hatters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,525 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yer man from The Corrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,897 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jim Corr

jim-corr.jpg

Yer man from The Corrs.
    Jim Corr

jim-corr.jpg

Lol, forgot about him.

Yer wan was always sharing this guys videos as well. Ken O Keefe, technically American though he has joint Irish citizenship and apparently he's quite active here. He's batsh1t insane, makes Alex Jones look reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,306 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Any anti IW nutjobs that claim the water shortage doesnt exist surely must be up there on any list

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Run 2 da hills

I knew a neighbour who believed everything was down to the Americans and the Russians were totally innocent

Fluoride people

Plenty of mundane conspiracies too, like garda cover ups

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Does anyone actually examine what these guys say? Or could people simply not be bothered?

Run 2 da hills

I knew a neighbour who believed everything was down to the Americans and the Russians were totally innocent

Fluoride people

Are garda cover ups a conspiracy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

Yer man from The Corrs.

Once again, on behalf of the good people of Dundalk, I apologise. We honestly never thought he would escape that padded room, but mickey had been on the beer the night before, joey's ma called him for help with the internet and he just managed to slip out.

We did eventually re-capture him and, in fairness, we made sure he has not bothered anyone in a long while. But again, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Run 2 da hills

Fluoride people

I can forgive the garda conspiracy guys, cause there has been a fair few cover ups.

But the fluoride people are as bad as the anti-vaxxers

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Certain ones are until they proven I guess. Some are pretty believable too

Certain ones are until they proven I guess. Some are pretty believable too

Which ones are a conspiracy?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

Has anyone ever seen Mickey D Higgins and socky the sock monster in the same place at the same time?

• Advertisement

There was one i read here about the gardai destroying a possible burial site of a disappeared boy that seemed very much like a conspiracy theory to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's an Irish lad that seems to do very well with his conspiracy podcast - Those Conspiracy Guys. It's very hit and miss for me though, they're really long and rambling and he'll talk for over five hours on an episode, all on just one subject. It's the kind of show that could really benefit from an editor.

He did a recent show on David Icke that, like that, was close to six hours but was kind of all over the place. He's not a bad presenter and tore a lot of Icke's act apart but then had him on for an interview a couple of weeks later and was fawning all over him, really licking the hole off him.

Still it's worth a listen now and again, if only for an insight into that world.

There was also one whackjob on here who tried to claim ed sheeran was a lizard man agent

That weird landlord who had the protracted dispute with local residents of a square in Dublin a few years back, can't think of his name just now but he wrote a book claiming that Peter Sutcliffe was innocent of the Yorkshire Ripper murders and he was nominating some other guy as a suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Conspiracy theory, no. An actual conspiracy, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

There was also one whackjob on here who tried to claim ed sheeran was a lizard man agent

Well it is the only logical reason for his excessive levels of fame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

That weird landlord who had the protracted dispute with local residents of a square in Dublin a few years back, can't think of his name just now but he wrote a book claiming that Peter Sutcliffe was innocent of the Yorkshire Ripper murders and he was nominating some other guy as a suspect.

Noel O'Gara. he believes the real Yorkshire Ripper is alive & well and living in Athlone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Jim Corr

jim-corr.jpg
    You fool.

Wearing a parabolic dish on your head just focuses the mind control rays to your brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Well it is the only logical reason for his excessive levels of fame.

Ha ha! true that.

Jaysus. Got me thinking now. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

You fool.

Wearing a parabolic dish on your head just focuses the mind control rays to your brain.

In Jims case, that would require a brain to have been present in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Hippy Martin across the road. Always on about pylons, leylines and shapeshifters. Blames all his life problems on the Bilderbergs. Better off picking up his dogs **** than worrying about Bush and 911.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Gemma O'Doherty needs a mention here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

A genius in her own head. Solved the Madeline McCann case purely from body language in a videoclip. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

She's in flying form today;

https://twitter.com/drg1985/status/1027904112455823360

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Irish conspiracy theorists are no different from other conspiracy theorists throughout the world i.e. people with too much time on their hands with vivid imaginations

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭Mike Hoch

There was a lad on Facebook named Bob Allen Peters, who later started using a different account under the name Bap Sergio. It was an anonymous second account. I first started stalking his account after he posted some rambling anti semitic nonsense on an Irish Times article.

Off the top of my head:

- he claimed that the Gardai are a British registered private company that has no jurisdiction in the Republic of Ireland

- he claims Ryanair's prices are too low to turn a profit, and that their actual income is derived from spraying chemtrails

- he questioned whether the Manchester concert bombing ever happened, saying he was yet to see funerals of any victims (completely ignoring that a- funerals for badly injured people are going to be delayed by default and b- in general the Brits wait weeks after death for funerals for some strange reason)

- the Jews were behind pretty much everything and faked the Holocaust

- to numerous likes from his adoring fans he claimed a named household name elder statesman of Irish politics (I won't name him here obviously) had rode teenage rent boys in a hotel on, IIRC, Gardiner St in the 1970s. He claimed to have, or at least have viewed, videotapes of the event. None of his fawning admirers were remotely arsed with asking him to produce the tapes as proof.

The above isn't a fraction of the absolute scutter he talked. Unfortunately the Best Of screenshots are hidden somehwhere among my thousands of photos.

The majority of his friend list composed of full time professional protester freeman on the land types, I'd say a good third of them were mutual friends with a lad on my own friend list who does little else with his time than show up to water protests and anti eviction displays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Got a haircut in a small town once. Seemed a pleasant enough gal. Partway through starts coming out with all this nutty shoite about 9/11 and the moon landings being fake.

I started to disagree and she started to get a bit rattled. I'm thinking holy fcuk you've got really sharp pointy scissors next to my ears.

I just said "Well you're probably right. Never really thought about it."

Crap haircut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Ipso wrote: »

They discuss the topics with very little hyperbole. Attention seekers not sure what you mean by that? They just have a conversation like most lads would have in a pub setting just the topic is about conspiracies. The shows can be long winded but you learn a lot when you actually listen.

I found them on here.

https://www.youtube.com/user/thoseconspiracyguys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

fryup wrote: »
    Irish conspiracy theorists are no different from other conspiracy theorists throughout the world i.e. people with too much time on their hands with vivid imaginations

In your opinion, because people who have researched this don't agree. Have you actually even bothered to check to see what the alternative viewpoint to the official story is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,320 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

There was a guy mentioned in one of the abortion threads who was bat **** crazy. Well, to be fair there were a few. But there was one guy in particular who would put up weekly youtube video's about some bat **** crazy topics. The video's never had more a few viewers but they were comedy gold. I can't for the life of me remember his name. If anyone knows who I'm talking about could you post them.

Since I can't remember who he was I'll post this. Every group has it's fringes. This guy is on the fringes of the fringe.

childrensprotectionsocietyreferendum.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,320 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

And has anyone mentioned the Freemen yet?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/lawyers-advise-against-use-of-groups-claiming-secret-formula-to-circumvent-law-1.1396641
    Earlier this week, Francis Cullen, a businessman from Clonard, Co Wexford, who was adjudicated a bankrupt in July 2011, was returned to Mountjoy Prison after telling High Court judge Ms Justice Elizabeth Dunne he didn’t recognise her authority. He referred to himself as Francis of the Clan Cullen and, according to the court’s official who deals with bankruptcy cases, Chris Lehane, every time he corresponded with Mr Cullen he received a bill “to be paid in gold” for “using his name”. He had been in prison for contempt of court since February.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Moved to the Conspiracy Theories forum. Read the local charter and remember, someone is always watching you. Yeah you, stop doing that you filthy boy

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

We're so preconditioned to believe whatever the mainstream media tells us, that if someone questions it, they are labeled as bat sh!t crazy. It's sad that those who control the world at the top use the media to brainwash the masses, and we simply believe what we're told.

Then we go out and vote Bertie Ahern Taoiseach three times.

14 Years of verbal diarrhoea from him and we call conspiracy theorists mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭FingerDeKat

regarding Jim Corr , he made an a few posts here on boards :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=267696

Jim you're a legend. (and a spa)
    Oddly he had his own website spouting the usual CT rubbish which has gone missing and hardly any references to his getting caught up with the CT stuff now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Purgative wrote: »
    Got a haircut in a small town once. Seemed a pleasant enough gal. Partway through starts coming out with all this nutty shoite about 9/11 and the moon landings being fake.

I started to disagree and she started to get a bit rattled. I'm thinking holy fcuk you've got really sharp pointy scissors next to my ears.

I just said "Well you're probably right. Never really thought about it."

Crap haircut

Haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭FingerDeKat

Grayson wrote: »
    There was a guy mentioned in one of the abortion threads who was bat **** crazy. Well, to be fair there were a few. But there was one guy in particular who would put up weekly youtube video's about some bat **** crazy topics. The video's never had more a few viewers but they were comedy gold. I can't for the life of me remember his name. If anyone knows who I'm talking about could you post them.

Since I can't remember who he was I'll post this. Every group has it's fringes. This guy is on the fringes of the fringe.

childrensprotectionsocietyreferendum.jpg
    Thats by a horrible specimen of a human being going by the name of John Clerkin.
    More of his lunacy from over 20 years ago

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/selling-condoms-1.44115

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Liam lawlor,
    This was a strange case, remember the Rush to say he had a prostitute in car Until it emerged she was alive,
    This was a man who knew where the bodies where buried and threatened to name names, bring everybody down with him,
    Few people breathed a large sigh of relief when he convenitly died in that car in Russia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

There's a small bunch of far-right nutters who think that Ireland is about to be over taken by Muslims, I think their linked to the DRM.

There's a few on Y/T as well, like this lad who thinks Dev was a English spy his whole career in Irish political office, stuff about vaccines, stuff about aliens, something Omagh, stuff about 9/11, & some other stuff.

Painful

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

11/9

• Advertisement
Advertisement