Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Barbell

Options
  • 15-06-2017 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

A little confused regarding what type of barbell. I started starting strength today. At the moment I have a cheap argos barbell with a total of 35kg of plates. I don't think this bar is designed for much more weight hens the reason why I'm looking to invest in a decent bar. I'm checking DD and adverts but the prices I'm seeing are not far off the price of some new bars?

Budget it very tight so I'm preferably looking for a second hand set. Or some of you may suggest a site to order from? From what I read I should be aiming for a 7' Olympic bar? Any suggestion would be appreciated and if you know of any deals going.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

A little confused regarding what type of barbell. I started starting strength today. At the moment I have a cheap argos barbell with a total of 35kg of plates. I don't think this bar is designed for much more weight hens the reason why I'm looking to invest in a decent bar. I'm checking DD and adverts but the prices I'm seeing are not far off the price of some new bars?

Budget it very tight so I'm preferably looking for a second hand set. Or some of you may suggest a site to order from? From what I read I should be aiming for a 7' Olympic bar? Any suggestion would be appreciated and if you know of any deals going.

Irish Lifting

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What is your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

What is your budget?

?150 is it possible to pick up a second hand set for that. Doesn't have to be the biggest brand.

You could get a budget bar in D8 Fitness for about €80 but think about what you want out of it and how much use/abuse it will get and consider shelling out a bit more.

Edit: it's only rated up to 150kg so might wanna invest more. Next best is 160 eurodollars

You could get a budget bar in D8 Fitness for about ?80 but think about what you want out of it and how much use/abuse it will get and consider shelling out a bit more.

Edit: it's only rated up to 150kg so might wanna invest more. Next best is 160 eurodollars

Yeah just spotted that one. ?160 for just the bar is over my budget. I think I'll just have to wait for a second hand set to pop up. I mainly want a bar because it's an excirise I enjoy. I'm not looking to get ripped or anything. Info see your point in investing in a decent bar but they are expensive.

• Advertisement

There is a bodymax all in one rack and barbell on DD for ?120. No weights included. Good price?

There is a bodymax all in one rack and barbell on DD for ?120. No weights included. Good price?

You wonder about the bar. 80-100 new makes you question it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Not sure which Bodymax bar it is, but there is one Bodymax bar in my gym and it is absolutely terrible quality - feels very plasticky and is not wearing well at all. The rest are mostly basic enough Jordan ones so hardly world class, but the difference between them is like night and day to be honest.

I'll keep an eye open so. There is a bar on adverts for ?100 I've asked the seller for info but he has yet to reply. My current bar and weights will do for a few weeks yet anyhow. Thanks all

Way over budget but looking for opinions anyway.

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-115kg-olympic-tri-grip-disc-set.php

with this bar
    http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-7-ft-olympic-barbell-700kg-1500lb-rated.php

I have a 5% discount code possibly another 5% discount if it allows me to add another. Delivery is ?45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MFdaveIreland

d8 fitness. 170E for a bar with unachievable limits. you need a 7ft bar for use in squat rack to catch on the spotter bars. also rotating sleeves reduce pressure on wrists when pressing overhead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

d8 fitness. 170E for a bar with unachievable limits. you need a 7ft bar for use in squat rack to catch on the spotter bars. also rotating sleeves reduce pressure on wrists when pressing overhead :)

I hate the d8 bars, they've too much whip on the them and spin your wrists when you bench press which is not ideal!! Plus one for Irish lifting have mine 8 years in a semi commercial gym and it's perfect!!! Soild as a rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 harperbd

Way over budget but looking for opinions anyway.

with this bar

I have a 5% discount code possibly another 5% discount if it allows me to add another. Delivery is ?45

mmmmm......not sure it's possible to manufacture and sell a good bar for £89 incl vat

• Registered Users Posts: 13 harperbd

For anyone with bigger £359 incl vat budget the Origin bar is strong and will handle 1500lbs http://www.originfitness.com/20kg-mens-cross-training-bar

Verve one in Ireland looks good and they also do olympic barbell sets
    https://www.vervefitness.eu/collections/barbells/products/verve-olympic-barbell-20kg

important to get olympic size barbell with Olympic barbell plates and not cheap standard size barbell from argus.

Advertisement