Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

radio nova

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭its_steve116

I really enjoy Greg Gaughran's shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I really enjoy Greg Gaughran's shows.

We all use to....;).

We all use to....;).

I don't think his show has changed much...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭prunudo

I don't think his show has changed much...

No, but i used to enjoy listening to it at work in the mornings. Don't get to listen to it much these days.

So guys do we still think Nova should get a national licence?

On its current path, no. It will be no differnet to any other station. If they go back to their remit and play rock music then yes.

Also Nova can I just say - I am REALLY digging that new Smashing Pumpkins song! It's smashing even!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Kyle More

I believe it's no longer a matter of if, but when. They're up to something at Castleforbes House. When you start to look at the developments over the past year, it's all happening for a reason. Employing Lucy Kennedy for a start, a bizarre move I'm sure we'd agree? She has no interest in the genre of music that the station purportedly carers to. She's already a household name with plentiful employment in the Irish media, so much so that she's often absent from her duties at Nova to work on other projects. Why would she join a 'rock' station who is a minor player on the Dublin airwaves at best? Add to that the frequent plugging of Virgin Media on Nova, it's all very strange. I've discussed it before on this thread, but I firmly believe that Nova is currently laying the groundwork for a takeover by Virgin. Once it goes national, Virgin Radio Ireland could be the new kid in town, with their golden child, Lucy Kennedy, at the helm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,164 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Tuned in for a second this morning.... They're just not right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Kyle More

Tuned in for a second this morning.... They're just not right

It's pathetic. The juvenile 'humour' from people of their age is just embarrassing. The next JNLR figures should make for interesting reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Kyle More wrote: »
    It's pathetic. The juvenile 'humour' from people of their age is just embarrassing. The next JNLR figures should make for interesting reading.

when are they due? March/April?

I wonder if this show is just a holding pattern for the suggested Virgin takeover?

If not dear lord.. Why would that go national??

Kyle More wrote: »
    I believe it's no longer a matter of if, but when. They're up to something at Castleforbes House. When you start to look at the developments over the past year, it's all happening for a reason. Employing Lucy Kennedy for a start, a bizarre move I'm sure we'd agree? She has no interest in the genre of music that the station purportedly carers to. She's already a household name with plentiful employment in the Irish media, so much so that she's often absent from her duties at Nova to work on other projects. Why would she join a 'rock' station who is a minor player on the Dublin airwaves at best? Add to that the frequent plugging of Virgin Media on Nova, it's all very strange. I've discussed it before on this thread, but I firmly believe that Nova is currently laying the groundwork for a takeover by Virgin. Once it goes national, Virgin Radio Ireland could be the new kid in town, with their golden child, Lucy Kennedy, at the helm.

You think if Virgin Media Radio goes ahead they will bring along other radio hosts from VMT (e.g. Ray Foley, Matt Cooper, etc)? What would this mean for Today FM??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Homer

Why in the name of god would anyone buy a struggling Dublin station that has lost money hand over fist year on year, that has a director asleep at the wheel and sliding listener numbers? You would presume anyone with half a brain that did due diligence would walk away rather briskly!

Nova going national? Didn’t the BAI say that there will be no new FM licences issued until a station can show that they are financially viable?

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Nova going national? Didn’t the BAI say that there will be no new FM licences issued until a station can show that they are financially viable?

A station may not be financially viable ...but have enough to fill a brown envelope.....:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,538 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Virgin Radio as a trademark is licences to Wireless Group so that won't be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AlgerShane

I genuinely think Nova have great potential to go nationwide. They're definitely the most deserving station. And they are not, what is largely speculated, a "rock" station. Their slogan is "seriously addictive " and "guitar-based" music. The only certified "classic rock" show they have is The Friday Night Rock Show with Tony Ainscough.

The reason it most likely seems so mainstream at the moment is because they're probably trying to increase their audience. And no, I cannot bear the breakfast show either. The talk is horrendous !

Anyway, how it currently stands -

Mainstream - Breakfast Show, Marty, Ruth/Dee, Pat C, Greg, Liam, Lisa

Classic Rock - Tony

Irish - Gavin Glass

New Alternative - Peter Devlin

Alternative/Irish - Kieran McGuinness

Jukebox (Rock, funk and soul) - John Clarke

Digital - Pat James

Give it time. Nova could have shows featuring country, folk, world, jazz, blues, reggae and everything in between.

Maybe they should read this,

https://www.bai.ie/en/bai-signs-10-year-contract-with-classic-rock-broadcasting-limited-ta-radio-nova/

"for the provision of a classic rock music-based commercial sound broadcasting service for a general audience in the 25-54 age group on the FM band in Dublin City, County and Commuter Belt. The service will provide a wide variety of classic rock music from the last 40 years with some speech elements"

Seems to be fairly clear to me what type of music they were supposed to playing.

jvan wrote: »
    Maybe they should read this,

https://www.bai.ie/en/bai-signs-10-year-contract-with-classic-rock-broadcasting-limited-ta-radio-nova/

"for the provision of a classic rock music-based commercial sound broadcasting service for a general audience in the 25-54 age group on the FM band in Dublin City, County and Commuter Belt. The service will provide a wide variety of classic rock music from the last 40 years with some speech elements"

Seems to be fairly clear to me what type of music they were supposed to playing.

I love that bit........:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Automation issues on Nova tonight, no news at 8pm, news jingle at 10.30 going to dead air etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Infoanon wrote: »
    Automation issues on Nova tonight, no news at 8pm, news jingle at 10.30 going to dead air etc etc

Sunday night is only for Pat James on digital. Rest of Nova is shyte (apart from Fri night).

They've had a few problems over the weekend so normal pop station will be available Mon morning.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Lovenova

My understanding is that BAI invited expressions of interest a year or so ago for possible national licence and Nova probably made an expression . Everyone else bar Nova seem to be playing cards close to chest

Interestingly nova constantly refers to a multi city licence which looks like cherry picking

What’s fascinating is that Nova seems to have moved away from its rock licence and it’s not clear if this was approved by BAI

I can’t for the life of me see why they would get a national licence when they now sound much the same as today fm, 2fm or any of the regionals. Despite their imaging , by and large, they would like almost everyone else on dial.

Lovenova wrote: »
    My understanding is that BAI invited expressions of interest a year or so ago for possible national licence and Nova probably made an expression . Everyone else bar Nova seem to be playing cards close to chest

Interestingly nova constantly refers to a multi city licence which looks like cherry picking

What’s fascinating is that Nova seems to have moved away from its rock licence and it’s not clear if this was approved by BAI

I can’t for the life of me see why they would get a national licence when they now sound much the same as today fm, 2fm or any of the regionals. Despite their imaging , by and large, they would like almost everyone else on dial.

I'm sure theres a lot of people that would much prefer their local station over nova....local news etc....and to say that they should have an alternative choice just doesnt wash anymore....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

That's more than a tad hyperbolic - just looking at 2fm for example today, The Chainsmokers, Taylor Swift, Picture This, Jax Jones, RAYE, Ariana Grande...

I'm not seeing anything on the list which has ever been played on Nova... maybe Hozier and George Ezra?

Look, I agree that Hozier and George Ezra don't belong on Nova before people latch on to that :D

That's more than a tad hyperbolic - just looking at 2fm for example today, The Chainsmokers, Taylor Swift, Picture This, Jax Jones, RAYE, Ariana Grande...

I'm not seeing anything on the list which has ever been played on Nova... maybe Hozier and George Ezra?

Look, I agree that Hozier and George Ezra don't belong on Nova before people latch on to that :D

But you WILL hear most of the nova playlist on practically every other station bar maybe Lyric , and that's a big maybe....:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Prince William

The Bai have since said that they will only advertise for an new FM licence when profits improve at exciting stations https://radiotoday.ie/2018/11/at-least-one-new-fm-radio-station-to-launch/

The Bai have since said that they will only advertise for an new FM licence when profits improve at exciting stations https://radiotoday.ie/2018/11/at-least-one-new-fm-radio-station-to-launch/

Does that mean we've fcukd it up for nova with all our negativity. ...oh please God I do hope so....or did they do it themselves....:D

Does that mean we've fcukd it up for nova with all our negativity. ...oh please God I do hope so....or did they do it themselves....:D

Nova has never made money, I'd imagine the idea of bringing in Hayes was to make the station more like FM104 and bring in the yummy mummy market.

Nova has never made money, I'd imagine the idea of bringing in Hayes was to make the station more like FM104 and bring in the yummy mummy market.

From 7 -10..in the morning..:confused:......so ya think all the boob,mickey and fart conversation was aimed at the yummy mummies....:confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Homer

While continuing to hemorrage money and staff :D
    He could actually be a blessing in disguise :D

• Advertisement

Homer wrote: »
    While continuing to hemorrage money and staff :D
    He could actually be a blessing in disguise :D

Hes more of a blood clot.....or a tumour...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Hes more of a blood clot.....or a tumour...

A tumour would be a perfect description of him.

FanadMan wrote: »
    A tumour would be a perfect description of him.

Do you mean because every day he's getting fatter bigger and will probably end up killing the station..??
    ;)

Description of nova....NOT radio-therapy.....:p

There is a broader issue here, a station gets a licence for a particular format but losses money hand over fist and they see the only way out as being to become an new 104 or 98 etc, it happened with Radio Ireland, Lite FM, 4fm and now Nova apparently, the only way to fix this issue is to write to your TD because the law is to blame, if an oldies station or a rock station was allowed operate without news, token Irish language content etc and allowed alternative funding options it would be an new dawn for Irish radio.

Pat Courtenay on Nova Drive vs. Hugh Hick on Live Drive - who wins and why?

I say if you want more nostalgia, humour, and an engaging personality, less talking, and no occasional pop-tune, Pat Courtenay.

If you want less ads, more newer and Irish music, and more traffic updates, Hugh Hick.

AlgerShane wrote: »

I say if you want more nostalgia, humour, and an engaging personality, less talking, and no occasional pop-tune, Pat Courtenay.

If you want less ads, more newer and Irish music, and more traffic updates, Hugh Hick.

Really....i would have said the exact opposite,,unless youre being sarcastic.....:confused:

Really....i would have said the exact opposite,,unless youre being sarcastic.....:confused:

Your right, sorry. I meant less traffic updates. I don't take back what I said about his character.

Your right, sorry. I meant less traffic updates. I don't take back what I said about his character.

I'll agree that he plays some decent stuff..but his "humour" and wayyyy too much talk are the turn off for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

When Courtenay was on his Christmas holliers I tuned in elsewhere, I just find Peter Devlin a huge turn off. Too much boring waffle out of him.

• Advertisement

When Courtenay was on his Christmas holliers I tuned in elsewhere, I just find Peter Devlin a huge turn off. Too much boring waffle out of him.

Couldn't disagree any more. Pete and I are pals and he's a great guy with incredible taste and knowledge .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Couldn't disagree any more. Pete and I are pals and he's a great guy with incredible taste and knowledge .

I'm quite sure a lot of the *jocks* are great guys and gals, but I too, find PD's presenting style boring. He may have incredible taste and knowledge but it's very much polarized whereas PC has a much wider range of musical knowledge.

I'm quite sure a lot of the *jocks* are great guys and gals, but I too, find PD's presenting style boring. He may have incredible taste and knowledge but it's very much polarized whereas PC has a much wider range of musical knowledge.

Due to the fact that he's twice as old.....:p

PD is sound....he doesn't try to be funny..tbh he's too good for Nova in its current guise as a pop station....

Just something I noticed on here..Welsh megaman commented on the John Creedon show about The Specials version of Dirty old town (cringy) and guess what Morty plays today....The Pogues version...coincidence....?....just be careful what you say about them lads..they're watching...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Nova have obviously updated their playlist this week. How many more times will we hear Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush or Roxy Music’s Oh Yeah to name but two.......

I tuned into 2XM ,only because i was near a telly, :p....i found it quite good, very 6music tho....definately not PR..but some stuff on there that i never heard....made me think of Phantom/TXFM a bit.....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Is anyone else getting increasingly worried for Ben Dunne's mental health? The ads are bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Nova have obviously updated their playlist this week. How many more times will we hear Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush or Roxy Music’s Oh Yeah to name but two.......

12:24 Wuthering Heights, that didn’t take long 😧

12:24 Wuthering Heights, that didn’t take long ��

Struggling stations tend to do that...they choose an artist that was popular and play the sh1t out of them to try and attract the passing listener....desperation..:)

If i've said it a million times..its not really the music thats the problem with nova, although it could be wayyy better...imo

I tuned into 2XM ,only because i was near a telly, :p....i found it quite good, very 6music tho....definately not PR..but some stuff on there that i never heard....made me think of Phantom/TXFM a bit.....:o
    Is 2XM also available on DAB in cars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,164 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Wuthering heights is one of the greatest songs ever written

Jl9Q5cp.mp4

• Advertisement
Advertisement