Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post a picture of your vehicle here Part 5 (don't quote pictures, 24h ban!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Went a bit mad mixing and matching wheels today. Definitely going to stick with 16 inch from now on.
    The 17 inch Work wheels I had fitted looked great, but the car actually felt quite lazy accelerating. These are lightweight AVS wheels and the car actually feels much lighter to steer and drive.

EDIT: This car originally came with 15 inch wheels. I think 16" is the best balance between performance and looks.

aAEO2WI.jpg?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Now with full wallpaper on the windscreen along with the motors sticker whilst home from home :D
    ozvUnOnh.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Pity it wasn't registered three cars later for 6007 :cool:

I'll need to keep an eye out round de' north side :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

At least can't see how dirty it is! :D

471064.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

20190125-100711.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

One hour later... :pac:

20190125-105047.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

A bit different to my usual posts :pac: She was due the first layer of primer today or Monday at the latest, they're hoping to shoot colour midweek, hopefully have it back by the end of the following week :cool:

X2TO3kfh.jpg

QgmSK1Dh.jpg

RZsdI2Bh.jpg

At least they said it was in good condition underneath and under the previous paint job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

A bit ......................

At least they said it was in good condition underneath and under the previous paint job!

Glad to see your fixing it, great looking car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Wait a God damn second. This is a perfect opportunity to go Estoril Blue! :)

• Advertisement

Big Nasty wrote: »

Topaz in the sun isn't far off! Plus it would take a bit more to go for a colour change, even a subtle enough one like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

A bit different to my usual posts :pac: She was due the first layer of primer today or Monday at the latest, they're hoping to shoot colour midweek, hopefully have it back by the end of the following week :cool:

Foxhole Are you getting a complete respray? Changing color?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Big Nasty wrote: »

Topaz Blue is one of the best colours BMW ever did. That and Avus Blue...

Foxhole Are you getting a complete respray? Changing color?

Yeah, a complete respray, same colour! I'd edit that post if I were you, remove the pictures :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Why didn't they cover the wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Yeah, a complete respray, same colour! I'd edit that post if I were you, remove the pictures :pac:

removed sorry new to boards
    I asked about respraying a few panels on my car a few years ago due to a few minor scratches and light dents and was quoted 1500 i mentioned a full same color respray the guy told me no-one really do full car resprays anymore as its too expensive and would probably cost double or triple what what my car was worth:confused:. Maybe because it was a metallic paint:eek:

• Advertisement

Why didn't they cover the wheels?

From the dust? Dust won't do them any harm, plus they're getting refurbished too :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

From the dust? Dust won't do them any harm, plus they're getting refurbished too :p

It looks like primer on them. White is on the tyres anyway so I just assumed there was some on the alloys also.

It looks like primer on them. White is on the tyres anyway so I just assumed there was some on the alloys also.

Hasn't been near a spray gun when I took those photos, all just dust!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Personally i'd go Orient Blue on the E39, its the nicest blue by far BMW ever made. Not even a fan myself of my current Monaco Blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

I should also post this in the " pictures of bad parking". Car is surprisingly wide and spaces are quite small.
    It's the ecoboost so don't get too excited! Great fun so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hasn't been near a spray gun when I took those photos, all just dust!

Get them to remove all lamps prior to spraying.

vectra wrote: »
    Get them to remove all lamps prior to spraying.

They know full well how to spray a car without me and telling them :pac: all trims, badges etc being removed

They know full well how to spray a car without me and telling them :pac: all trims, badges etc being removed

LOL
    I hope so
    Who is doing it?

LOL
    I hope so
    Who is doing it?

Kenny Brothers, have always done great work for us.

Kenny Brothers, have always done great work for us.

OH right,
    Thats the crowd that tried to argue with me that the rear window would have to be removed from my red Vrs to repair it to the standard I wanted to, until I pointed out it was a hatchback. :rolleyes:
    That was enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

OH right,
    Thats the crowd that tried to argue with me that the rear window would have to be removed from my red Vrs to repair it to the standard I wanted to, until I pointed out it was a hatchback. :rolleyes:
    That was enough for me.

FN works in this industry. I doubt he would let amateurs at his car to be fair.

FN works in this industry. I doubt he would let amateurs at his car to be fair.

And?
    I also worked in the motor industry.
    I am just telling my once off experience with them.

OH right,
    That was enough for me.

Removing the window is the correct option. Why can't the rear window be removed because it's a hatchback? What happens if the glass is broken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Are they the ones on the Tramore Road FN?

Are they the ones on the Tramore Road FN?

Yeah thats them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Bet you can't wait to get it back now that the ends finally in sight with it all. Your car, you're happy with where it's being done and they know what you're looking for. They've a good name so I'm sure all will be well.

What GustavoFring said.

I bet you can't wait to see it back on the road looking the way you want it FN.

In relation to their competence, well I've no experience of them but I have heard good things about them and I know FN isn't going to let any old outfit fix his car.

Mine has a few rust issues and a couple of marks that I want to get sorted, haven't decided if I want to do it in Cork or Dublin yet but I look forward to seeing the job they do on FN's car.

Removing the window is the correct option. Why can't the rear window be removed because it's a hatchback? What happens if the glass is broken?

That's what I would have thought. Maybe there is something I am missing, but why wouldn't the window be removed for a paint job just because it's a hatchback?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Bet you can't wait to get it back now that the ends finally in sight with it all. Your car, you're happy with where it's being done and they know what you're looking for. They've a good name so I'm sure all will be well.

The end won't be in sight until he's applying the crystal serum or EXO :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

milhous wrote: »
    I should also post this in the " pictures of bad parking". Car is surprisingly wide and spaces are quite small.
    It's the ecoboost so don't get too excited! Great fun so far.

Lovely car , not much wrong with the Ecoboost from what I've seen so far , good power at 313 HP (Remap may do wonders) and it even sounded good in the models I seen with the active exhaust so I'm sure an aftermarket would open her up...hard to justify the 5 liter Coyote engine in Ireland with Tax and Fuel.

I've always liked the Mustang (Who Doesn't) and now that's it's available in RHD it's probably one of 3 cars that would tempt me away from my Alfa's even briefly...love the design , the layout , the dials and interior even...and they've given a good manual transmission option which is critical.

OSI's dad has the 5 litre but he mentioned before that the interior quality isn't up to scratch with leather ripping etc.

Can't see the pic :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

OSI's dad has the 5 litre but he mentioned before that the interior quality isn't up to scratch with leather ripping etc.
    If that's the yellow MH reg one that often passes me on the way home to meath, and I've seen parked in various meathian locations, it's the ecoboost and not the 5 litre, pretty sure it doesn't have the GT on the back but has the pony instead, symbolising the ecoboost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Can't see the pic :(

Not working the first time. Myself an GustavoFring

5xuiw6z

Edit: FFS, never mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

OH right,
    That was enough for me.

I think they are totally over rated, they are better than many but not as good as the likes of Red Abbey or Dineen's IMO of course. Their pricing is well up there though.
    I saw a full respray they did on an XR3i years ago that was being restored as a labour of love, the attention to detail just wasn't there.

Aren't Dineens meant to be expensive?

Aren't Dineens meant to be expensive?

They are indeed. I wouldn't think KB are much cheaper though unless they are giving you mates rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Was in Texas recently and got this as a rental, 2019 Ford Fusion (Mondeo to us) with 3k miles on the clock:

20190115-064126-1.jpg

2.0 litre Ecoboost AWD, comfortable enough car but felt a little underpowered and out of place compared to what else was on the roads over there. Covered about 1k miles in it over 8 days, it did have adaptive cruise control which was great. Rental company had a poor selection and the Fusion was the best in that grade with the alternatives being a Hyundai Lantra, Nissan Sentra or Toyota Corolla.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

OSI wrote: »
    Yeah it's the Ecoboost, the cheap git :P

It's had more problems than any car I've ever seen in it's 3 years, but I won't rain on the OPs parade by going into too much. Suffice to say though that he's been happy enough with to have ordered the new model for an unknowable deliver date.

About 1.5months of ovwnership, and it's a 171..the interior is holding up.. the mechanics... hmmm, handbrake is pretty much non existent but could be down to previous driver just wretching it up all the time.. Gears arn't the smoothest, a bit rough going into 2nd (also could be down to previous owner), booking it in to get niggles fixed.. also puddle lamps, they don't look like much at present, maybe an icicle? Definitely not a horse.. other than that, I love it.

Next car will be a sleeper though, can't go anywhere without being noticed.. to be expected ofc.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    I think they are totally over rated, they are better than many but not as good as the likes of Red Abbey or Dineen's IMO of course. Their pricing is well up there though.
    I saw a full respray they did on an XR3i years ago that was being restored as a labour of love, the attention to detail just wasn't there.

Yeah all are expensive as they are all big enough names in the industry here. I found Red Abbey and Dineens to be atrocious for the price. We sent a car back 3 times to Dineens to be repainted each time as the paintjob was horrendous for the price, this was on a rare car too. Honestly panel beating is such a hit and miss industry in Ireland. Our van was away for 3 months in another high end bodyshop and it's still not really as good as it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Something different to the usual on here since a car is useless to me for what I need.

Heavy on juice with the off road tyres, noisy on the road and slow! :pac::pac:

Gets me from A to B over all sorts of terrain though.. Just hoping for a bit of snow soon!
    Back to dirty within an hour of washing it!

471534.jpg

471533.jpg

bazz26 wrote: »
    Was in Texas recently and got this as a rental, 2019 Ford Fusion (Mondeo to us) with 3k miles on the clock:................. Rental company had a poor selection and the Fusion was the best in that grade with the alternatives being a Hyundai Lantra, Nissan Sentra or Toyota Corolla.

I got an X5 off Avis in Fort Worth once as I mentioned they had given me a Prius on my previous visit, "oh, we can't be having that sir......" :pac:

...... Honestly panel beating is such a hit and miss industry in Ireland. Our van was away for 3 months in another high end bodyshop and it's still not really as good as it should be.

I've used Donie's place twice and recommended him a few times to friends....https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showpost.php?p=99752899&postcount=3

I'd be far less knowledgeable on finishes than yourself and I've never seen a full respray from him but I think he's topclass and reasonably priced.

He did some nice plastic welding on a yoke for me.

Afaik panel beating and spray painting are separate trades for a few decades now. I know a few who reckon you can't actually train someone to be a very decent sprayer unless they have a flare for it. That combined with the monotonous enough nature if the job & the awful prep work that needs to be done before the gun comes out...there's not enough really good spray painters spraying cars :) imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Augeo wrote: »
    I got an X5 off Avis in Fort Worth once as I mentioned they had given me a Prius on my previous visit, "oh, we can't be having that sir......" :pac:

They offered me a Camaro (the only pony car available) as a free upgrade but I couldn't get my suitcase into the boot or inside of the car, the Camaro boot really is tiny. Not from the want of trying but after 10 mins I eventually gave up. Feeling dejected and tired from the long flight at that stage I just took the Fusion and went. In fairness it was better than I thought it would be, just not what I hoped to be cruising around Texas in.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement