Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rough quotes for Gas Combi Boiler and Rads

• 16-01-2019 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭

We currently rent out a 1 Bedroom flat over our business premises. It has storage heaters which have always been a pain for every tenant we've ever had. Brother and his Fiancee are moving in mid Summer, and after the current tenants move out and before the bro moves in was thinking about replacing the Storage Heating and immersion with PAYG Gas fired Combi Boiler and 4 rads. (Hall/landing, Livingroom, Kitchen and Bedroom). Theres Mains Gas Piping and Mounting point for Metre, with a copper pipe run from the old Meter location under the concrete yard to a capped point just outside the front door of the Flat outside ready for Gas connection. I don't believe there is any interior gas piping already in situ inside the flat though.

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure as to what the above might cost to supply and install. Flat would be empty of furniture during install.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

Calibos wrote: »
    We currently rent out a 1 Bedroom flat over our business premises. It has storage heaters which have always been a pain for every tenant we've ever had. Brother and his Fiancee are moving in mid Summer, and after the current tenants move out and before the bro moves in was thinking about replacing the Storage Heating and immersion with PAYG Gas fired Combi Boiler and 4 rads. (Hall/landing, Livingroom, Kitchen and Bedroom). Theres Mains Gas Piping and Mounting point for Metre, with a copper pipe run from the old Meter location under the concrete yard to a capped point just outside the front door of the Flat outside ready for Gas connection. I don't believe there is any interior gas piping already in situ inside the flat though.

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure as to what the above might cost to supply and install. Flat would be empty of furniture during install.

Depends on alot of factors but expect €6000 upwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

rightjob! wrote: »
    Depends on alot of factors but expect €6000 upwards

Oh Dear. Thats a lot more than I was expecting. Definitely can't proceed with the idea in that case. Thought it might be 2-3 grand at most.

Thanks Rightjob!

Googled a bit and while the few rough quotes I found were UK, the price for a 1 bed bungalow (which I guess would be closest equivalent to one bed flat) were in the GBP£2500 range. Found an Irish Gas install quote aggregator site and put in the details but the bloody thing doesn't give even a rough quote. Just got a call from one of the affiliate gas installation companies and they won't give even a rough quote either without seeing the flat or before Gas networks and supplier reinstate a meter. Bit of a catch 22 there. They obviously want you to prove you are serious before giving a quote by not quoting before a meter is re-installed, but I am not going to the hassle or cost of getting a meter reinstalled if the eventual quotes are way out of my price range anyway!

Capped Gasline outside frontdoor. Hole would need to be drilled to take it inside. Straight up the wall in the corner behind door 2.4m to the flat upstairs and then along a 5m landing to the Combi boiler location in the old immersion cupboard which is on an outside wall so the boiler can be vented straight out through the wall. Likely 5m pipe runs to 3 of the Rads and 8-10m run for the furthest rad in the livingroom. No furniture, floors/carpets/lino could be lifted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭ercork

I got a quote to install gas central heating about two years ago when I was looking to get rid of the storage heaters. My house is a small 2 bed terraced - approx 65m2. Not the same as yours but not massive either. It came to about €4000 as far as I remember. This was for 7 radiators and included an SEAI grant for the boiler.

My estate was not at that time connected to the gas network so Bord Gais would have charged an additional €2500 to dig a trench and run a new pipe the 50m or so to the nearest gas pipe. Probably not an issue in your situation.

In the end I decided against it went with an air to air heat pump and kept the immersion heater for hot water - timed to come on during the half price window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Googled a bit and while the few rough quotes I found were UK, the price for a 1 bed bungalow (which I guess would be closest equivalent to one bed flat) were in the GBP£2500 range. Found an Irish Gas install quote aggregator site and put in the details but the bloody thing doesn't give even a rough quote. Just got a call from one of the affiliate gas installation companies and they won't give even a rough quote either without seeing the flat or before Gas networks and supplier reinstate a meter. Bit of a catch 22 there. They obviously want you to prove you are serious before giving a quote by not quoting before a meter is re-installed, but I am not going to the hassle or cost of getting a meter reinstalled if the eventual quotes are way out of my price range anyway!

Capped Gasline outside frontdoor. Hole would need to be drilled to take it inside. Straight up the wall in the corner behind door 2.4m to the flat upstairs and then along a 5m landing to the Combi boiler location in the old immersion cupboard which is on an outside wall so the boiler can be vented straight out through the wall. Likely 5m pipe runs to 3 of the Rads and 8-10m run for the furthest rad in the livingroom. No furniture, floors/carpets/lino could be lifted.

You’ll also need a pump to pressurise the water system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    You’ll also need a pump to pressurise the water system

I'd that not in the boiler? ( or is it not in a combi?)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    I'd that not in the boiler? ( or is it not in a combi?)

A combi needs pressurised water to work the plumbing side of things. The pump in the boiler is for the central heating side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    A combi needs pressurised water to work the plumbing side of things. The pump in the boiler is for the central heating side

I thought mains pressure took care of that....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    I thought mains pressure took care of that....

Not in Ireland.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Decided to stick with the Electric Storage heating....and curse the oul lad for being a cheapskate and fitting Electric Storage heating instead of Gas and rads 20 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭ercork

Thanks for all the advice guys. Decided to stick with the Electric Storage heating....and curse the oul lad for being a cheapskate and fitting Electric Storage heating instead of Gas and rads 20 years ago.

If you are stuck with electric heating then there are a couple of alternatives to storage heaters - on demand electric radiators or an air to air heat pump. Neither would require as much investment or disruption as gas central heating and both should be improvements on storage heaters. There are a good few posts on here about both options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You could probably put in the air to air heat pump in the main room and leave the storage heaters in place.

Jaysus. Ye have me thinking lads. Googled air to air heat pumps and the first results were for multi split AC's. There was a 3x wall unit kit for €1400. (I know install would add to that). Never knew they were that cheap. That'd be worth paying just for the cooling in the 3 main bedrooms of the main house during the Summer. Victorian Renovation is well insulated, huge thermal mass in 2ft thick walls, DG windows, massive Solar gain with 18 of the 19 windows, French doors, Velux and Skylights in the house facing South and west......and on a busy vehicle junction and pedestrian route to and from the towns decent bar strip so too much vehicle noise and loudmouth revellers at all hours of the night to leave the windows open during the Summer.

Can't see them being cheaper to run than gas in this house though for heating???? But like I said, worth it alone for cooling in the Summer.

With regard to the flat in question next door. Definitely something I'll consider now in that it could boost the heating in the flat day or night in Winter.....and....cool it in Summer. The flat would have the same issue as the main house with regard to large solar gain relative to its square footage but vehicle/reveler noise meaning windows can't be left open during the Summer.

Advertisement