Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I renew my learner permit again without taking test

Options
  • 13-01-2019 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭

I’m not currently driving at the moment but I don’t want to lose the license and start all over again.

I don’t want to do another driving test I wouldn’t pass am not great get very nervous.

Do you have to do another test to renew the learner permit for another 2 years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭shygal

biggebruv wrote: »
    I’m not currently driving at the moment but I don’t want to lose the license and start all over again

I don’t want to do another driving test I wouldn’t pass am not great get very nervous.

What did it say when you checked the website?

Moreover, Why would you renew it when you are not currently driving? To keep as a reminder of the memories?

Renew it when you are ready, albeit within that 2yr limit before you would have to start again from scratch

A mature appraisal of your situation and have identified what you need to work on. Sounds to me like its only a matter of time until you do pass, if the work is put in.best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

shygal wrote: »
    What did it say when you checked the website?

Moreover, Why would you renew it when you are not currently driving? To keep as a reminder of the memories?

Renew it when you are ready, albeit within that 2yr limit before you would have to start again from scratch

A mature appraisal of your situation and have identified what you need to work on. Sounds to me like its only a matter of time until you do pass, if the work is put in.best of luck

The 2 year limit is up in March.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

You have 5 years from the expirary date of your latest learner permit before it's treated as a new application.
    You could wait until March 2024, apply for a test and then get a 1 year learners permit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

You can get a permit for a total of 4 years by which time you must apply for a test.

Basically you can renew it once without having to apply for the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

you do realise it's not a License to drive, it's a permit to learn to drive.

• Advertisement

Isambard wrote: »
    you do realise it's not a License to drive, it's a permit to learn to drive.

The majority of permit holders appear to overlook that fact

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I’m not currently driving at the moment but I don’t want to lose the license and start all over again.

Do you think you can get competent enough to pass the test before your next provisional expires ?

I hope youre not planning on staying on an endless cycle of provisionals.

Do you think you can get competent enough to pass the test before your next provisional expires ?

This article from last April shows that many are life long permit holders, possibly from the 1979 amnesty

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/some-65-000-irish-drivers-on-their-third-or-higher-learners-permits-1.3471340?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

At the moment I’m working in city center so I have no need to drive around cause it’s too awkward to get there easier just to hop on train but I never know when my circumstances may Change so that’s kinda why I’m not pushed about driving atm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I never know when my circumstances may Change
    if that's your main concern your first action should be to pass your test, or else who are you going to get to accompany you when you're driving to what may be a new job?

• Advertisement

At the moment I’m working in city center so I have no need to drive around cause it’s too awkward to get there easier just to hop on train but I never know when my circumstances may Change so that’s kinda why I’m not pushed about driving atm

You can still apply for the test and practice away to get the full licence should you pass, after that it is upto yourself.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I was in a similar situation, applied for learners permit in 2011, with intent to drive. Work situation meant I didn't need to (public transport and significant other able to drive). I let it lapse in 2015, renewed in Feb '17, and passed Oct '17. You have upto 5 years to renew when your learners permit expires without resetting the clock. Though I would suggest taking a thorough lesson to identify areas that you need to focus on if you do fall out of practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

This article from last April shows that many are life long permit holders....
    No doubt applying for a test just to be able to apply for another permit and not showing up on the day. That is why a deposit system should be introduced. As well as the test fee, €1,000 deposit up front. If you don't turn up, you lose it.

No doubt applying for a test just to be able to apply for another permit and not showing up on the day. That is why a deposit system should be introduced. As well as the test fee, €1,000 deposit up front. If you don't turn up, you lose it.

Technically the €85 fee is a deposit, you can postpone a test twice before forfeiting the fee.

Perhaps time to introduce a system whereby a third or subsequent permit is only issued upon having taken a test and not the current system where you can just not show up and get it again the following year by applying again? It’s this that is a partial contributor to the test backlog, if all these people took the test then it might be justified, but no shows are very common.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

This article from last April shows that many are life long permit holders, possibly from the 1979 amnesty

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/some-65-000-irish-drivers-on-their-third-or-higher-learners-permits-1.3471340?mode=amp

Agreed, that amnesty is a debacle lasting decades but realistically you have to look at the fact that amnesty is now 40 years old so most of those "legal" dodgers are at, close to or well beyond retirement age. Yes, some of them still have several decades driving left but that number will shrink with each passing year as they naturally pass away or else become ineligible to drive due to advanced old age challenges.

OP, if circumstances change as you put it, you'll still have to endure undergoing 12 certified driving lessons (or more to help your confidence and competence) and wait several weeks or months for a driving test depending on your nearest centre so you will not be able to procure a full licence immediately after changing circumstances. Why not go ahead and be proactive and get it now in advance of needing it? I was a nervous wreck in advance of my test too but passed it even though likewise I didn't need a car for years after as I was city centre based for work, living etc during those years. It was always handy to have and great when I was ready to buy a car.

ongarboy wrote: »
    .... that amnesty is a debacle lasting decades....
    The amnesty was only made available to those who were on a second provisional licence (and therefore legally permitted to drive unaccompanied at that time) and who were already on the waiting list for a test in category C (now category B). Therefore only those who were doing things right benefited from it. Those on 1st, 3rd and subsequent provisional licences were not eligible even if they were on the waiting list.

It was introduced retrospectively and the cut off date was six months before the announcement so all those myths circulating about people rushing out to get their licence during the amnesty are a load of nonsense. If we didn't have a 9 month postal strike at the time, it probably would never have happened.

I don't really see how it's a lasting debacle or how it contributes to people on numerous learner permits.

The amnesty was only made available to those who were on a second provisional licence (and therefore legally permitted to drive unaccompanied at that time) and who were already on the waiting list for a test in category C (now category B). Therefore only those who were doing things right benefited from it. Those on 1st, 3rd and subsequent provisional licences were not eligible even if they were on the waiting list.

It was introduced retrospectively and the cut off date was six months before the announcement so all those myths circulating about people rushing out to get their licence during the amnesty are a load of nonsense. If we didn't have a 9 month postal strike at the time, it probably would never have happened.

I don't really see how it's a lasting debacle or how it contributes to people on numerous learner permits.
    I'm personally aware of someone who got a first provisional licence as it was called then in 1973, they missed out on the amnesty in 1979 as they were onto their 3rd, through all the jigs and reels they remained on a learner permit until last year, sat about 15 driving tests before getting it just last summer, there were endless renewals and no shows in the hope another amnesty would rear its head which it didn't.

If the 2 year regulation which applies today applied back then it would mean that the youngest recipient of a driving licence was born in 1959/1960, making them no older than 59/60 today, still some 10 years off needing a medical to continue driving unless they use the truck and bus licences to the present day in which case it is every 5 years.

Is it time to introduce mandatory testing for those who availed of the amnesty or would that contravene some sort of EU directive?

Also mandatory periodic training in a similar form to driver cpc that truck and bus drivers do? as i said before, those who did pass a test, how many of them pick up the rules of the road after passing?

How many of the amnesty licence holders even know the meaning of a road sign bar the obvious 'stop' sign.

The postal strike i know very little of if i am honest.

..., still some 10 years off needing a medical to continue driving unless they use the truck and bus licences to the present day in which case it is every 5 years....
    Anyone who benefited from the amnesty and who now has a truck or bus licence would have had to pass a test for a truck or bus as they weren't included in the amnesty so those drivers couldn't be described as not having passed a test. (Excepting, of course any pre 1963 licence holders).
    Is it time to introduce mandatory testing for those who availed of the amnesty or would that contravene some sort of EU directive?
    What would it achieve? The vast majority of accidents are caused by younger drivers. I'd prefer to let it go and to concentrate on progress with younger drivers.
    Also mandatory periodic training in a similar form to driver cpc that truck and bus drivers do? as i said before, those who did pass a test,
    Depends on what you mean by mandatory training. I passed truck and bus tests prior to the introduction of the CPC system and therefore have what some call 'grandfather' rights. The regular 'training' for people like me is a bit of a joke and simply a 'tick box' exercise. Sit in a room for 6-8 hours with no test. The presenters always begin by saying "Now I know none of you want to be here so I'll run through it as quick as I can......".
    .....how many of them pick up the rules of the road after passing?
    That's pretty normal when rules change or when new rules are implemented, Many people were driving before motorways, roundabouts, trams etc.
    How many of the amnesty licence holders even know the meaning of a road sign bar the obvious 'stop' sign.
    I think you're exaggerating a bit there. Most pay low insurance rates.
    The postal strike i know very little of if i am honest.
    It caused mayhem with the driving test system as most people didn't have a telephone and could only be notified by post. As there was no post delivered for 9 months, the waiting time went to over 2.5 years. Not really the fault of the candidates who were waiting in fairness.

Anyone who benefited from the amnesty and who now has a truck or bus licence would have had to pass a test for a truck or bus as they weren't included in the amnesty so those drivers couldn't be described as not having passed a test. (Excepting, of course any pre 1963 licence holders).

What would it achieve? The vast majority of accidents are caused by younger drivers. I'd prefer to let it go and to concentrate on progress with younger drivers.

Depends on what you mean by mandatory training. I passed truck and bus tests prior to the introduction of the CPC system and therefore have what some call 'grandfather' rights. The regular 'training' for people like me is a bit of a joke and simply a 'tick box' exercise. Sit in a room for 6-8 hours with no test. The presenters always begin by saying "Now I know none of you want to be here so I'll run through it as quick as I can......".

That's pretty normal when rules change or when new rules are implemented, Many people were driving before motorways, roundabouts, trams etc.

I think you're exaggerating a bit there. Most pay low insurance rates.

It caused mayhem with the driving test system as most people didn't have a telephone and could only be notified by post. As there was no post delivered for 9 months, the waiting time went to over 2.5 years. Not really the fault of the candidates who were waiting in fairness.

Was that the old H licence for trucks and buses?

Didn't know about the 1963 rule.

Younger drivers will always think they know best even if they only hold a permit, most of my own generation were like that, i was no different, hindsight is a valuable teacher though.

Yes i'm familiar with Driver CPC myself as i hold the licences, i had to go through the initial process, theory tests etc, the one day a year is very boring, they should really look at ways of making it better.

You can see the rule changes we've have in the last 5-10-15 years, so imagine those who never once sat a test not knowing any of these rules because they never had to study for them, testing is optional at present, it needs to be made mandatory if someone holds a permit.

Insurance rates have nothing to do with knowledge of road signs though, yes these said people might not have been directly involved in a crash, but like full licensed counterparts how many near misses have they had or god forbid indirectly caused crashes? Things like stopping, yielding on roundabouts etc, this is where driver education would be handy for all drivers regardless if it is a permit or licence.

2.5 year wait :eek: and i thought 9 months was bad when i sat my car test.

I'll have to look that up, it isn't something i've ever really heard being discussed.

Now if a postal strike happened today it wouldn't have anywhere near the same impact.

.... that amnesty is a debacle lasting decades....

My point being those who got that amnesty licence got a full licence no matter how incompetent they were and were and are allowed and do still drive on the roads today in many cases, creating another added safety risk to all road users to this present day. That's why I refer to it as a debacle with long lasting consequences.

I didn't say it contributes to current situation of people on multiple provisional licences.

• Advertisement

My point being those who got that amnesty licence got a full licence no matter how incompetent they were and were and are allowed and do still drive on the roads today in many cases, creating another added safety risk to all road users to this present day. That's why I refer to it as a debacle with long lasting consequences.

I didn't say it contributes to current situation of people on multiple provisional licences.
    Fair enough but you don't mention the pre-1963 brigade at all? Using your logic, shouldn't they be ever more dangerous? At least the amnesty was only granted to those on a second provisional licence in one category and who were already on the waiting list.

Fair enough but you don't mention the pre-1963 brigade at all? Using your logic, shouldn't they be ever more dangerous? At least the amnesty was only granted to those on a second provisional licence in one category and who were already on the waiting list.

Gosh, I defer to you then. I wasn't even aware no-one pre 1963 needed licences! It's interesting looking at road fatalities in 1972 where more than 600 people died on the road when we had 50% less population and possibly 75% less cars on the roads, then that surely is a legacy of being able to drive with out a licence or any level of driving competence or safety awareness required.

I wouldn't rule out the ongoing yearly reduction in road deaths from the 1972 peak has some bearing on those pre 63 drivers gradually dying off or no longer driving (the youngest of whom would all be in their mid 70s by now anyway). Anyway I'm going woefully off topic to what OP asked!

.... I wasn't even aware no-one pre 1963 needed licences..
    Licences were required but there was no test. You simply bought the licence at the post office. My mother bought hers in 1959 with her first wage packet.

Licences were required but there was no test. You simply bought the licence at the post office. My mother bought hers in 1959 with her first wage packet.

That would mean those who got licences without needing to sit a test are now about 72/73?

An interesting article here.

https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-talk/why-roads-are-safer-after-50-years-of-the-driving-test-30062291.html
    Tokyo hosted the Olympics, Martin Luther King won the Nobel Peace Prize,' My Fair Lady' picked up seven Oscars and Beatle mania was at its height. It was also the year that the first driving test was carried out in Ireland. The year was 1964; March 18 to be exact.
    In the early 2000s, the then Transport Minister, Seamus Brennan, indicated he was considering forcing people to do their driving test before they reached their third provisional licence. This led to a huge influx of driving test applications.

Advertisement