Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exporting SQL offline database from Desktop Server

• 11-01-2019 12:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm using Desktop Server for Wordpress offline work - I have created a database with Blacknight and uploaded the wordpress files to my domain directory and entered the correct config.pho file also.

BK support tell me I need to export the database from my local computer and import to new database with BK.

Any idea how I achieve this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

From the PHP myadmin panel. I don't know how your local server is setup, but there should be access to this somewhere. For example Xampp has a MySQL "admin" button.
    Don't forget to update all of the URLs before importing. You can do this in a decent text editor.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Desktop Server has a few methods for making deployment to a production server easier:

Direct Deploy appears to be the easiest option:

https://serverpress.com/using-direct-deploy-to-launch-websites/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Thanks for your replies guys. I was ill so unavailable to reply earlier. Apologies

I've just bought a new Linux package with BK and I'm working through a Lynda.com course - very interesting!

I have downloaded the root files for wordpress, uploaded to my domain via Filezilla and created a database, I can see that I can edit on the fly with the server, add themes.widgets etc...

What the upside of using Desktop Server at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

sticker wrote: »
    What the upside of using Desktop Server at all?

1. It allows you to screw around - make changes and test changes without affecting your live site. If you make a balls of something, delete a file by accident, etc, then there's no panic to get your live wordpress site back up because it's happily unaffected.

2. You can work on it without an Internet connection.

In any environment you typically have 3 stages (though big sites often have more);

- Development - lives in an environment like Desktop Server where you can make and test changes and reset them again without affecting anything

- Test/PreProd - typically lives online or at least in the same environment as your live site. Changes are copied from development to here. This allows you to test not only the changes you've made, but also the process for moving those changes from Dev into a new environment

- Live/Prod. Once you're satisfied that the test site works the way you want, you backup the live site and push the changes. There should be no surprises, because the purpose of the test site is to find surprises.

Of course, if this is just a hobby or a small site, a test environment may be overkill. But if you value the site you're building in any way, then you need a development environment where you make all your changes separate to your live one.

seamus wrote: »
    1. It allows you to screw around - make changes and test changes without affecting your live site. If you make a balls of something, delete a file by accident, etc, then there's no panic to get your live wordpress site back up because it's happily unaffected.

2. You can work on it without an Internet connection.

In any environment you typically have 3 stages (though big sites often have more);

- Development - lives in an environment like Desktop Server where you can make and test changes and reset them again without affecting anything

- Test/PreProd - typically lives online or at least in the same environment as your live site. Changes are copied from development to here. This allows you to test not only the changes you've made, but also the process for moving those changes from Dev into a new environment

- Live/Prod. Once you're satisfied that the test site works the way you want, you backup the live site and push the changes. There should be no surprises, because the purpose of the test site is to find surprises.

Of course, if this is just a hobby or a small site, a test environment may be overkill. But if you value the site you're building in any way, then you need a development environment where you make all your changes separate to your live one.

Many Thanks Seasmus. I'm new to databases offline and on!

I could setup the Environment with Lynda, but my issue was I could not export the offline database and import it to Blacknight.

I assume I still create a blank SQL5 database ion my Lunux hosting, but I need to occupy it with the offline database on my PC...

How is this done? - Please explain like I'm a 5 year old!

• Advertisement

I'm afraid I don't know the specifics of the software that you're using. In general it is basically just a matter of exporting the offline one and importing it into the online one.

If it's MySQL, then Desktop Server should include a backup/export option, and the Blacknight PhpMyAdmin interface includes an import option.

In all seriousness if you google "exporting MySQL database from desktop server to phpmyadmin" you might get a guide for it, or at least some helpful guidance on the next steps.

I'm afraid I don't know the specifics of the software that you're using. In general it is basically just a matter of exporting the offline one and importing it into the online one.

If it's MySQL, then Desktop Server should include a backup/export option, and the Blacknight PhpMyAdmin interface includes an import option.

That actually rings a bell! I think there is an export facility. What kind of file is a exported database file extension - is it just a single file?

For MySQL, it's basically a text file with a .sql extension. It may also zip the file by default after exporting (makes it smaller). PHPMyAdmin will take either the raw text file or the ZIP file.

For MySQL, it's basically a text file with a .sql extension. It may also zip the file by default after exporting (makes it smaller). PHPMyAdmin will take either the raw text file or the ZIP file.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭shane7

It should be pretty straightforward. In localhost on your desktop server you should see an option for php-myadmin. Click that and it should take you to a list of your databases. Once you can see your databases click on the one you want to export.

On the tabs across the top you should see an option to export. Click the export tab and scroll down to go and click it. That will download the sql file to your download folder.

You now do the opposite on your blacknight server. Go to database you have created in phpmyadmin and go to the import button. Browse to the .sql file in your download folder and upload. You then just need to go to the config file and edit your username and password.

If you get an error after you have uploaded the .sql file its usually a mistake in the config so check and double check you are using the right database name, username and password

• Advertisement

shane7 wrote: »
    It should be pretty straightforward. In localhost on your desktop server you should see an option for php-myadmin. Click that and it should take you to a list of your databases. Once you can see your databases click on the one you want to export.

On the tabs across the top you should see an option to export. Click the export tab and scroll down to go and click it. That will download the sql file to your download folder.

You now do the opposite on your blacknight server. Go to database you have created in phpmyadmin and go to the import button. Browse to the .sql file in your download folder and upload. You then just need to go to the config file and edit your username and password.

If you get an error after you have uploaded the .sql file its usually a mistake in the config so check and double check you are using the right database name, username and password

Many thanks Shane

Advertisement