Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electronic shifting

Options
  • 14-01-2019 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

No, this is not a Tinder request.

i've tendonitis in my wrists and shifting is sometimes a strain. have a decent mechanical groupset (campag ) and wheels with campag cassettes so maybe a campag upgrade kit is the best start rather than a complete overhaul. I'm clueless on what i might need and the costs involved in this so any advice appreciated. i would like to keep costs as low as possible/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

are you on 11 speed?

I have a v2 eps battery and interface here for record/sr eps but it means you would have to stay with record shifters and mechs.
    other possibility keep an eye out for us etap/di2/eps gruppo's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

koutoubia wrote: »
    are you on 11 speed?

I have a v2 eps battery and interface here for record/sr eps but it means you would have to stay with record shifters and mechs.
    other possibility keep an eye out for us etap/di2/eps gruppo's

yes, its 11 speed. what would shifters and derailleurs likely be retailing for even on a used market? and what are the likely issues with buying second hand - or working with possible older battery/interfaces? presumably V2 has a V3 and V4? what's the difference you've felt?

I can give you the batteries and interfaces for 100.
    The only way to see how much the rest is to watch ebay.co.uk , bike radar and other classifieds to see what the going rate is for used shifters and mechs.
    But they hold their value.

I believe that any record/sr eps will work as the connectors are the same.
    Chorus and Athena eps have different connectors so are not interchangable.
    V3 is an upgrade from V2 due a different battery and interface. You can download the MYCAMPY app and reconfigure the shifter settings ie change the blades on the right and left to be the rear mech controllers and the thumb shifter to be the front mech controllers etc plus you can change the style of the actual shifting ie you can have it in race setting where one click is one gear or holding it gives unlimited shifting either direction or in sport where holding the rear mech shifter gives 3 shifts either way plus when you say go from Big ring to small it automatically drops the rear into a smaller cog and vice versa and so on and so on....

It maybe cheaper to try and source a Chorus eps ..though not sure if the v3 will be got for under 1200 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Go and chat with your LBS Taxuser. If you've no grasp of the basics of these systems you'll probably need their help fitting. They may not be willing to work on a mix of 2nd hand parts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

If your on 11 speed you can use shimano with no problems, I use Dura Ace mechanical and it has a really light action.

If I had to choose this is what I would get https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/sram-red-etap-2x11-groupset/rp-prod156344

with both my bikes being eps and etap I would choose etap.
    Sacrilege I know.

But op is looking try and upgrade on a budget.
    They already have campag. If they go the etap route they will have to get brakes as well.
    eps can be bought piece by piece thus lessening the blow to the bank balance.

koutoubia wrote: »
    with both my bikes being eps and etap I would choose etap.
    Sacrilege I know.

But op is looking try and upgrade on a budget.
    They already have campag. If they go the etap route they will have to get brakes as well.
    eps can be bought piece by piece thus lessening the blow to the bank balance.

although the eps costs are astounding. cheaper to get a wrist replacement

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    although the eps costs are astounding. cheaper to get a wrist replacement

told you they hold their value....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I went to Di2 Shimano R8050 and it was worth every penny. Currently riding (the brilliant) Sram Force 22 and it feels agricultural in comparison.
    My boss has the Campag Super Record EPS and he seems to think it's very delicate, having had to replace a few bits with each bit costing an arm and a leg, but he says he would never consider going mechanical again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Just a heads up, SRAM have a 12 speed version of etap at the TDU. I'm looking at getting etap but think I'll wait for the 12 speed version to come out. This should reduce the cost of the 11 speed version so happy days or hopefully anyway.

my local bike shop doesn't seem to stock the upgrades or groupsets and in any event are uncompetitive price wise to online. a physical store countrywide problem no doubt, nevertheless, has anyone seen any groupset deals in their lbs? maybe the shimano ultegra group as mentioned above?

my local bike shop doesn't seem to stock the upgrades or groupsets and in any event are uncompetitive price wise to online. a physical store countrywide problem no doubt, nevertheless, has anyone seen any groupset deals in their lbs? maybe the shimano ultegra group as mentioned above?

I bought mine from Shaka in Amiens St. they matched the online price, they also fit it for small money and were very quick to resolved the one problem I had

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

OP I have similar issues to yourself so if it's any help to you I ordered this earlier today. Cheapest I could find online and then an extra 10% off at checkout and dispatched this afternoon:

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-ultegra-r8070-di2-disc-brake-11-speed-groupset-110283.html

OP I have similar issues to yourself so if it's any help to you I ordered this earlier today. Cheapest I could find online and then an extra 10% off at checkout and dispatched this afternoon:

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-ultegra-r8070-di2-disc-brake-11-speed-groupset-110283.html

as an upgrade this would seem to suit - i do not ride disk.

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-ultegra-r8050-di2-11-speed-gear-kit-112246.html

would a local bike shop match this!?

as an upgrade this would seem to suit - i do not ride disk.

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-ultegra-r8050-di2-11-speed-gear-kit-112246.html

would a local bike shop match this!?

That's a mega discount

how do I get the 10% discount? cannot see it available

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

how do I get the 10% discount? cannot see it available

Just checked, it's still there. Click on the groupset you require (discount only available on selected groupsets) and the red banner appears at the top. No code required. Got it slightly cheaper again by selecting Sterling as my currency.

I did check a few LBS in the hope they'd even nearly match it but the best I got was €1800-€2000 so I'm afraid it was a no-brainer. Very quick delivery too, due here by courier tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Seems some good deals on that set.
    Is this the same one https://www.lordgunbicycles.co.uk/shimano-ultegra-r8050-di2-11s-groupset-upgrade-kit

site_owner wrote: »
    Seems some good deals on that set.
    Is this the same one https://www.lordgunbicycles.co.uk/shimano-ultegra-r8050-di2-11s-groupset-upgrade-kit

That kit doesn't include wires or junction boxes so beware if pulling the trigger

• Advertisement
Advertisement