Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Led lighting for large shed

Options
  • 14-01-2019 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations for suitable led lights for a large shed/workshop.

The shed is 45'x26' with 12' eaves.
    Steel construction, with a mezzanine floor in one bay at the far end, see attached pics.

I'm not sure how many fittings I would need to have a nice bright workspace during the winter.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

I would suggest using LED tubes (120 or 150cm) at appropriate spacing and height.
    You can download lighting calculators to give the approved lighting per metre for your workspace.
    LED tubes do not require standard battens as you only need the steel shell not the electronics inside so you need to find bare battens which will be much cheaper. Or find used battens on auction sites. Use correct labeling to advise LED tubes are fitted.
    The battens can be fitted on chains to get down to height.
    Use "daylight" tubes 4500k
    Power usage will be 50% of florescent option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭tomoliver

is there that much of a saving ?

i thought the saving on led against T5 flourecent wasn't great

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

tomoliver wrote: »
    is there that much of a saving ?

Yes.
    i thought the saving on led against T5 flourecent wasn't great

I don't have the figures (a Google will get them), but T5 has gone out with the Indians. Nobody installs them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 noel69

I used these in our shed, super quick to install, move around or add more anytime you feel like.

https://www.electricalwholesaler.ie/products/agricultural/beken-agricultural-led-lighting/beken-general-purpose-led-lighting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Thanks lads,

I've been looking and spotted these. https://www.futureled.ie/high-bay/545-100w-high-bay-5-year-warranty.html
    Any experience of high bay lighting or that supplier?

I was thinking of two of those high bay lights plus six 4' twin led tubes.
    The high bay lights in the middle and a twin led each side.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Neilw wrote: »
    Thanks lads,

I've been looking and spotted these. https://www.futureled.ie/high-bay/545-100w-high-bay-5-year-warranty.html

Why bother with the high bays at all? Normally people would select one type of light fitting or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Lower the lights for lower wattage.? High Bays use a lot of power as they are designed to be very high up. If they fail you need scaffolding/cherry picker to replace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

In your position, id run 2 rows of these lads http://www.tegral-lighting.com/product/com-lite-ip65-led/

and then if you had benching where you were doing some works, put one over them also.

I've used them in plenty of commercial jobs in lift shafts etc. Cheap as chips and great light out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Consider zoning your lights if you are concerned about energy usage.

No point having light on in loft or beneath it if working out in the body of the shed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭tomoliver

2011 wrote: »
    Yes.

I don't have the figures (a Google will get them), but T5 has gone out with the Indians. Nobody installs them anymore.

its about 25% better not 50% ,higher install cost for the led but less maintenance

was only raising it as a point of interest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Thanks lads.

I will definitely be zoning the lights, I had thought of this setup.

Zone 1 high bay lights.
    Zone 2 left led strip lights.
    Zone 3 right led strip lights.
    Zone 4 under mezzanine floor.

My thoughts on the bay lights is that they on their own would offer enough light for walking around and minor work, then I could turn on the strip lights aswell for extra light while working.

I'm open to other options and advice on what works best based on experience.

The floor area is 112sq meters so a decent area to light.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

Neilw wrote: »
    Thanks lads,

I've just wired a garage with 4 led high bays and 4 5 foot led caper proof fittings and it's VERY bright. I think you should have plenty of light out of your setup

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

And if you are working on a machine it will cast shadows so a trailing light will help or a 18v cordless.

Advertisement