Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ReOPENed>>>Leaving Cert Reform. The propaganda begins >>>See Warning>>>

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    There is already lots of continuous assessment in the LC. Students do practical exams, investigations, oral assessments, field trip projects, day jobs, portfolios. Anyone who says CA is not being implemented in the current system is an idiot.

Less CA in the new JC for Science too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Why? Cause FG don't want to pay for it to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

markodaly wrote: »
    This is an odd point as everyone is entitled legally to 6 years of second level education. So whether the parents care or not, is not really relevant.
    Well you’ve made my point for me. Everyone is entitled to an education, and many students who actually want it lose out because of the ones who don’t.
    I’m for every student being entitled to an education but I’m not for schools being obliged to keep trying to educate students who don’t want to be there, with parents who refuse to support either the student or the school so that that child actually gets educated, all to the detriment of students who actually are trying to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭political analyst

amacca wrote: »
    I think we've misunderstood each other somehow

the worry isn't that exam marking will be privatised

the worry is it won't be external (i.e: a students own teacher will be responsible in large part for and therefore open to pressure/abuse/grade inflation/not being fair and objective......

what seems to have happened in other jurisdictions when teachers had to grade their own students for the purposes of state certification.(not grading or assessment in general - just the high stakes bit that determines career paths to an extent - its probably better if that isn't open to abuse or undue pressure - hence the eminently sensible anonymous marking).....this is not project fear but likely to be the outcome if that ultimate goal is realised...perhaps exacerbated by the small size of the country but probably more due to human nature itself.

See the kind of grade inflation going on over the past decade in irish universities because of the financial penalties incurred if students not trained and pressure from students themselves being bowed to......this was/is the big fear and I don't think its imaginary.

Joe40 also alluded to a similar problem in the UK system

I don't think the ASTI are out of kilter with their membership on that point tbh...so one could say a lot of teachers are reluctant to have it that way and tbh I see their point.

Seeing that the ASTI isn't changing it's stance on the issue, external correction will not end because the ASTI's stance makes any attempt by the Department to bring it in unworkable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

That's odd as there is another thread in this forum giving out about-about the amount of teachers training in Hibernia, which will lead to a belief to lower quality teachers and lower working conditions.

So, which is it?

We live in a contextual world... pick your subject

Not overnight, but the trend is certainly down and getting lower.
    https://www.theglobaleconomy.com/Ireland/Student_teacher_ratio_primary_school/

(this link says the PTR is more like 16)
    Ironically, the Haddington Road agreement has very much facilitated this downward trend as more teachers can be hired. But the Unions sure as hell wont tell ya that! :)

Yes, but Pupil Teacher ratios going down even the if population is going up, thus the point is null.

No, an actual measure would be GNP, as using GDP for any of Ireland's economic benchmarks is notoriously skewed given the way we have structured our economy and the leprechaun economic statistics that can come from it.

Ah here, copying and pasting stats from a Union website will convince no one but the converted. As mentioned GDP figures are totally skewed in the Irish context.

Maybe a better measurement would be per $ spend per pupil?
    https://data.oecd.org/eduresource/education-spending.htm

Interestingly, Finland and Denmark et all, spend as much on Early Childhood education per pupil as Ireland does normally.

By the way, I do not dismiss the idea that we should be spending more on education, we should. But I think for the next 5-10 years any large increases should be going to facilities, permanency, pupil-teacher ratio's than teacher wages, as that is what the ASTI and others mean when spending more on education. Take home pay for teachers, who are already one of the best paid in the OECD.

Possibly, yet 78% of those teachers in the survey referenced by the OP stated that the LC is not up to scratch, so it clearly needs to be reformed. The status quo is certainly a non runner.

Education spending should be going to this group first and foremost in my opinion. Even if the PTR stayed the same, and teachers got no pay increase for 5 years, but if the government promised to pour extra hundreds of millions to the early learning sector each year then that is something many people and parents could get behind.

Every child in Ireland should be able to avail full-time 2-5 full time top quality education led by University trained and qualifed educators like the do in Finland.
    I am sure you agree, to a point but when push comes to shove and new funds are being hunted are you and your fellow teachers going to let it go to the early learning sector? I doubt it.

Any educational increase in funding goes to the loudest voices, that is the Unions that are already established and they certainly do not want to share the pie, even though it could dramaticly benefit the future of Irish educational attainment.

Maybe or perhaps just fund Early Learning Centres like they do in other countries. Finish formal education does not start till they are 7 so I am not sure asking an Irish 2 or 3 year old to go to a primary school is the answer. It suits some of course, to subsume EL education to their own sphere of influence, but other countries don't do this way and for a reason.

Yes and no. I certainly do not underestimate the 'me fein' culture in Ireland. We are gas in a way. Compassionate and caring yet, we are totally out for ourselves.
    Unions are 100% endemic in this but this is just an Irish trait imo.

Just look at child allowance for example. This should be taken away from everyone and put into Early Learning. There is hundreds of millions there to be used, and not be spent down the bookies. Yet, if one did that there would be an uproar.

Tell me, do Finish parents get child allowance? I think not. Do the unemployed get a Christmas bonus? Do OAP's get min €5 euro a year extra no questions asked?

We have the money in Ireland, its just we spend it in a very individualistic inefficient way for votes.
    Everyone out for themselves and the teaching profession is just another example of this.

I am sorry but are Irish teachers not some of the best paid in the OECD?
    Do they not get more on average than say those in Finland?
    https://data.oecd.org/eduresource/teachers-salaries.htm

Its a cute saying but devoid of reality and actually cements my entire point of this post, that Irish teachers when all said and done are more interested in take-home pay than anything else.

I would agree 100%, same the Unions dont hold the same view. Put simply, lower PTR certainly makes working conditions better, do they not?

Your stats for PTR are old (2012) ...

Do you know if they include resource teachers with small group classes into those stats?

Also.... we live in a contextual world. There are a lot of small rural schools in Ireland with small numbers (I presume you'll want them shut ASAP!). This won't butter any parsnips for a teacher in urban schools where the class is often wayyyy over the ratio and often managing 2 classes as they can't find subs. Try telling them their ptr is 'the lowest in Europe'.
    I thought this discussion was supposed to be about leaving cert anyway.

Anyway if the pay is so brilliant why does the govt feel the need to run a promotion campaign.

It's obvious you're not interested in discussing what the reform would entail, instead you've revealed your true colours by saying that 'teachers are out for themselves' ....when it's been stated numerous times that it's about teacher certification and a changing curriculum to copy the JC.

I'm teaching the new JC .... my pay hasn't increased a whole bunch compared to what teachers were getting post 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

That's odd as there is another thread in this forum giving out about-about the amount of teachers training in Hibernia, which will lead to a belief to lower quality teachers and lower working conditions.

So, which is it?

It depends on region and subject but I actually think that poster is not aware of the reality in the Dublin area. It is a fact that there are many permanent jobs that could not be filled in Dublin schools for this school year. The ones I know of are in Spanish, Maths, Woodwork, Home Ec. I am currently teaching Maths in the evening to 5th and 6th Years who have no teacher since September. So there is a sub being paid to supervise them every day during the school day and then I am being paid a huge rate, far in excess of the usual hourly rate, to actually teach them after school. I was offered two permanent Maths jobs during the summer. Hibernia couldn't give a sh1t what subject their students have so they appear to be pumping out thousands of History and Geography teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭amacca

Seeing that the ASTI isn't changing it's stance on the issue, external correction will not end because the ASTI's stance makes any attempt by the Department to bring it in unworkable.

Yes and arguably thats a good thing given the absolute ham fisted shambles thats been made of this "reform" so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭amacca

Eh, WTF? So, you are against providing free early learning education for the 2-5 age bracket, like they do in venerated Finland?

As an educator, I find that attitude shocking.

I think its usually telling when people completely misinterpret something because it suits an argument they would like to make.

I said free childcare...clearly that was in the context of how some parents view the current education system

you tacked on early learning education for the 2-5 age bracket from seemingly nowhere.

As an educator you should be able to interpret that post properly........thats why other responses couldn't be sure you weren't being sarcastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Dunning Kreuger in full effect in this thread.

It depends on region and subject but I actually think that poster is not aware of the reality in the Dublin area. It is a fact that there are many permanent jobs that could not be filled in Dublin schools for this school year. The ones I know of are in Spanish, Maths, Woodwork, Home Ec. I am currently teaching Maths in the evening to 5th and 6th Years who have no teacher since September. So there is a sub being paid to supervise them every day during the school day and then I am being paid a huge rate, far in excess of the usual hourly rate, to actually teach them after school. I was offered two permanent Maths jobs during the summer. Hibernia couldn't give a sh1t what subject their students have so they appear to be pumping out thousands of History and Geography teachers.

In fairness there's thousands of history and geography teachers who want to do the course too! What are other colleges doing to increase the math, woodwork, home ec intake?

All Colleges just supply what students demand.

• Advertisement

In fairness there's thousands of history and geography teachers who want to do the course too! What are other colleges doing to increase the math, woodwork, home ec intake?

All Colleges just supply what students demand.

I don't really care what Hibernia do - just pointing out that the fact they are pumping out graduates means zilch in terms of the critical shortage of teachers in Dublin. There is some change to the allocation of places through PAC for next year that will prioritise subjects I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Terri26 wrote: »
    I don't know anybody who answered this survey either. Some students are in favour of Continuous Assessment as some of them don't fully understand it, but that's fair enough. The biggest clue that the results are skewed is the result that apparently 51%of students are in favour of their own teachers correcting the work for final marks. None of my students have ever even been slightly in favour of this. They know the drawbacks of it and how it will totally change the relationship between students and teachers.

Are those 51% from fee paying schools?

I don't really care what Hibernia do - just pointing out that the fact they are pumping out graduates means zilch in terms of the critical shortage of teachers in Dublin. There is some change to the allocation of places through PAC for next year that will prioritise subjects I think.

So essentially Hibernia dont operate the points restriction whereas colleges who operate the PAC do!
    They are pumping out maths and language teachers too ya know! So that would be >zilch.

So essentially Hibernia dont operate the points restriction whereas colleges who operate the PAC do!
    They are pumping out maths and language teachers too ya know! So that would be >zilch.

So where are they? Not in Dublin it seems. I've never met a Maths or language Hibernia grad. And only Biology teachers for Science.

So where are they?

I don't know where the students go but I presume if you are in Dublin then the chances of meeting a TCD or DCu maths grad are higher whereas Hibernia is a National university. So, in the Same vein, I've haven't come across a TCD or DCU maths Grad in Dublin in the last 8 years either (UCD and MAynooth yes)!!! But yet TCD and DCU are 'pumping out' other graduates ( so equally I could claim TCD or DCU 'dont give a 541t').

Not in Dublin it seems. I've never met a Maths or language Hibernia grad. And only Biology teachers for Science.

I have.... but not in Dublin!

It's a demand problem, and students aren't demanding to do maths teaching or Home-ec teaching (and who'd blame them). Tinkering around with the PAC system will do diddly. Actualy tinkering around in any shape or form by any college will do diddly to attract grads who can make a packet elsewhere.

Read the report.... it's not just the ASTI.
    There are many variances in responses between each group. For example, only 22% of principals, deputy principals and teachers support the practice of correcting their own students’ work, with many having concerns that a teacher would be biased against a student. That number increases to 30% of parents who would support such a change, and 51% of students.

I don't know where the students go but I presume if you are in Dublin then the chances of meeting a TCD or DCu maths grad are higher whereas Hibernia is a National university. So, in the Same vein, I've haven't come across a TCD or DCU maths Grad in Dublin in the last 8 years either (UCD and MAynooth yes)!!! But yet TCD and DCU are 'pumping out' other graduates ( so equally I could claim TCD or DCU 'dont give a 541t').

I have.... but not in Dublin!

It's a demand problem, and students aren't demanding to do maths teaching or Home-ec teaching (and who'd blame them). Tinkering around with the PAC system will do diddly. Actualy tinkering around in any shape or form by any college will do diddly to attract grads who can make a packet elsewhere.

You seem to be under the impression I'm specifically criticising Hibernia - I'm not. The poster referred to Hibernia's large number of graduates and I was responding in that context. Of course the main issue is the lack of people choosing to teach these subjects - and like you say, why would they?! I think it's a stretch for you to compare the numbers produced by other colleges to Hibernia though - it is on a different scale. Is there any evidence that Hibernia is, as you say, pumping out Maths and language teachers? I'd be very surprised if it's true because as you say - there's no demand to train in these subjects. The other colleges are training teachers in these subjects on concurrent degree programmes and this seems to be the only demand for training to teach these subjects now - among Leaving Cert students rather than graduates.

Well fair enough. Nobody's pumping out anything then. It's the students that choose.

So maybe just to go back to the OP.

Here's the actual report

NAPD_report_final.pdf

https://www.napd.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/NAPD_report_final.pdf

I'm going to do what I should have at the start....

Close the thread till everyone's read it. It might keep the thread on track!

Ok Thread re-opened. Please actually read the survey report (or at the very least skim through the charts)... yes this will be on the exam in June.

Enough of the 'teachers generous wages OECD nonsense', I'm going to get myself banned at this stage getting sidetracked.
    Use the ignore function if you know what way people are dragging it.

But keep in mind non-teachers posting might genuinely want to change their views and learn something.

Thanks

Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭doc_17

The first question should be used in a first year stats class as how not to ask a question! There are 2 questions! What if I think the first is yes and the second is no!

Ok, being slightly awkward there but that speaks to the quality of their work.

• Advertisement

I agree, it's very loaded.

In many ways though I think the NAPD were quite clever in getting this out before the department launch their own biased survey. The NAPD have controlled the narrative of how it should play out.

Not such a big grá for the teacher assessment.
    Issue of practicals in subjects has been raised... and that can't be done without proper investment.

"Does the leaving cert prepare students for the world of work"?
    Was it ever meant to?

Plus they've raised the elephant in the room of traineeships and apprenticeships and a lab b of a clear pathway for young people ....

so can the LC ever be a one size fits all? No....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭doc_17

What should the leaving Cert prelate them for is a question I’d have asked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

doc_17 wrote: »
    What should the leaving Cert prelate them for is a question I’d have asked.

A life full of stress, disappointment and un-realised dreams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Somewhat off topic, but I was shown a sample Junior Cert science paper earlier.

It seemed very easy. One or two questions looked more like an English reading comprehension.

If this is to be the forming of an adequate foundation for upcoming Leaving Cert chemistry or physics I hate to think of what's ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Noveight wrote: »

It seemed very easy. One or two questions looked more like an English reading comprehension.

If this is to be the forming of an adequate foundation for upcoming Leaving Cert chemistry or physics I hate to think of what's ahead.

It's very hard to disagree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Noveight wrote: »

Totally agree,it’s common level and very much looks it. It’s far too easy, but very wordy for the weaker students !! A backward step unfortunately.

Advertisement