Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chargers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

OAOB wrote: »
    Great value pick but the chargers secondary wasn't the teams weakness. They need a big run stopper on the Dline and should hope for Hurst in the second or Settle in the third.

They couldn't pass on James but they haven't solved a weakness either

Surely Safety was a weakness with Boston leaving no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more, I think they've done a fantastic job.

All the defensive guys are very athletic and good tackles, this is what Bradley built his Seahawks defence on.

I think your hatred for them moving is clouding your judgment.

Derwin James was the absolute right pick and I expect him to really make a big impact but like OAOB said D line esp inside stinks right now. In round 2 Nwosu went a bit early for me, I'd have gone D line or Tackle there, Connor Williams was probably the best guy on the board there.

In round 3 I know they were going to pick Nnadi or Freeman the running back but with both gone they made a really bad pick in Jones. He's a 4th rounder at best. You might even have got Nwosu at this pick. Even still looking at who was on the board either of Phillips or Hurst is better than Jones. I know Hurst went in rd 5 to Raiders, cannot understand how he slid that far to be honest. Tim Settle was still there when they picked a poor center in the lad from UCLA. He is not going to make it, he is not better than Pulley. Crosby went 2 picks before him which was a killer.

Kyzir White was a good pick where they got him. The white WR looks decent value. I don't know much about the RB taken in rd 7 but if nothing else he is a genius in school.

Surely Safety was a weakness with Boston leaving no?

I think Boston leaving did open a spot... and you simply couldn't pass on James when he fell. The only other player of similar value at that spot for me was teh QB Jackson.

Everyone get sorted for tickets that was looking for one?

Everyone get sorted for tickets that was looking for one?

Did you get yours what block you going for? anybody know which side the 'home team' occupies?

Ye got sorted, block 551, was quite annoying not knowing which side is the home side.

Ye got sorted, block 551, was quite annoying not knowing which side is the home side.

Great view from there... hope you are in a row closer to the front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭tripperman

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Great view from there... hope you are in a row closer to the front.

Got my ticket last night, just a single tho, site crashed when I had two earlier in the day, hoping to get a pair in returns for bringing herself when the returns come in, got category 5 level 1 sec 115, think it's the corner of the endzone, not sure if it's a good spot

Draft in the book now on to rookie mini camp I believe weekend after this, really happy with the draft class,
    1 Derwin James, 33, a steal yeah I was hoping for Alabama linebacker Evans, but I had never expected Derwin to fall to us, I had expected him to go from pick 7-11, have to say the raiders kinda gifted him to us, they take a Edmunds instead of Miller I don't see Derwin getting to us,

2 Chena, 58, good pick extra pass rush which isn't a bad thing, but he's no slouch, he's decent in coverage not great just needs more reps and coaching, should beat out Kyle for that olb spot,

3 Justin Jones, 91, ok pick, not much talent left that I liked at dt after him, wasn't a fan of Tim Settle, Hurst the heart issue was safer not draft him, the risk is to big, jones could have traded back and still got him, he's a good run stopping dt, no pass rush tho

4 Kaizr White, 44, good pick good coverage skills great speed and tackling, moving from strong safety to linebacker tho, so not sure how that will suit him, he's going take snaps from Adrian Phillips I'm guessing at dime linebacker for a start till he gets up to speed

5 Scott Queensbury, 61, great pick can play guard or center, best suited to center tho, great blocker seen some big downfield run blocks that where very impressive, better than Spencer pulley, so should be the back-up to pouncey if he gets injured again, he's also a die-hard fan of the chargers and to honor his favorite player Nick Hardwick as a kid he's going to wear his number

6 Dylan Cantrell, 84, good pick, he's not the greatest route runner but he's a good blocker in the run game which should help Melvin Gordon out, seen clips of him making tough jump catches against good man coverage, expect him to be good depth who will look good with Philip getting him a target here and there,

7 Justin Jackson, 32, ok pick, honestly never heard of him, he's supposed to have set college record's, for a rounder worth a flyer, can't be much worse than some of the back-ups to Melvin and Austin,

Seen some good udfa signings that can make the roster that Texas tech qb can beat out geno hopefully, there's a guard/tackle from Colorado that has good upside could be a nice backup to tevi and barksdale,

tripperman wrote: »
    Draft in the book now on to rookie mini camp I believe weekend after this, really happy with the draft class,
    1 Derwin James, 33, a steal yeah I was hoping for Alabama linebacker Evans, but I had never expected Derwin to fall to us, I had expected him to go from pick 7-11, have to say the raiders kinda gifted him to us, they take a Edmunds instead of Miller I don't see Derwin getting to us,

2 Chena, 58, good pick extra pass rush which isn't a bad thing, but he's no slouch, he's decent in coverage not great just needs more reps and coaching, should beat out Kyle for that olb spot,

3 Justin Jones, 91, ok pick, not much talent left that I liked at dt after him, wasn't a fan of Tim Settle, Hurst the heart issue was safer not draft him, the risk is to big, jones could have traded back and still got him, he's a good run stopping dt, no pass rush tho

4 Kaizr White, 44, good pick good coverage skills great speed and tackling, moving from strong safety to linebacker tho, so not sure how that will suit him, he's going take snaps from Adrian Phillips I'm guessing at dime linebacker for a start till he gets up to speed

5 Scott Queensbury, 61, great pick can play guard or center, best suited to center tho, great blocker seen some big downfield run blocks that where very impressive, better than Spencer pulley, so should be the back-up to pouncey if he gets injured again, he's also a die-hard fan of the chargers and to honor his favorite player Nick Hardwick as a kid he's going to wear his number

6 Dylan Cantrell, 84, good pick, he's not the greatest route runner but he's a good blocker in the run game which should help Melvin Gordon out, seen clips of him making tough jump catches against good man coverage, expect him to be good depth who will look good with Philip getting him a target here and there,

7 Justin Jackson, 32, ok pick, honestly never heard of him, he's supposed to have set college record's, for a rounder worth a flyer, can't be much worse than some of the back-ups to Melvin and Austin,

Seen some good udfa signings that can make the roster that Texas tech qb can beat out geno hopefully, there's a guard/tackle from Colorado that has good upside could be a nice backup to tevi and barksdale,

You mean Golditch? did u see/hear he was in the movie theater that nite in Aurora watching Batman when yer man came in and shot up the place. He was shot in the neck.

• Advertisement

You mean Golditch? did u see/hear he was in the movie theater that nite in Aurora watching Batman when yer man came in and shot up the place. He was shot in the neck.

Yeah that's him, I blanked on his name, only learned that after he signed with us, eric willimas of espn retweeted a video about him and signing with us as some Denver station covered his day three experience

That is pretty cool, definitely rooting for him to succeed somewhere after that lucky escape.

The Tony Brown the alabama corner we signed is meant to be quite a good slot corner, be one I'll be keeping an eye on even if we are stacked at the position.

You lads all sorted for tickets to the game?... have yee booked flights & accommodation?

All set.. Flying out Saturday morning and home Monday. Forget where out tickets are for but one of the sidelines anyway near the front of the Upper tier.

All set.. Flying out Saturday morning and home Monday. Forget where out tickets are for but one of the sidelines anyway near the front of the Upper tier.

Same here, going over Saturday morning. Back Sunday night. No accom booked yet though.

Well today is the first game of the season looking forward to it, very concerned how it will go with bosa out and no definite answer to when he will be available to play, Rochelle and Chena is going to have to work to fill his production,
    Run defense is going to be a big factor, need to see philon, square and jones/mygill fill up the lanes, mebane I'm afraid is just not the player he was and is a glaring weakness that will be targeted by Kansas,

On offense we need Phillip to play safe protect the ball, don't need a lot of turnovers like he did last year, Gordon and Austin could add some good work in both rushing and receiving, think Mike Williams could show what he can bring to the team tonight after been injured last season,

looking forward to this one going to be s good game, think it's going to be a one score game that can go either way

Didn't see the game but read about it. I see good ol special teams never changes... no idea why they would bring JJ Jones onto the 53, 1 fluke return in preseason does not a special teams demon make. Waste of a roster spot imho. And I see Travis is still doing the dropsies, what a waste of $ that lad is.

Oh and a sellout supposedly, 60:40 Chiefs fans was it?

Sell the team Spanos u moron, and let's move back where we belong.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Took a year off from the Chargers after the move. Found it hard to watch last year. Came back fully "re-charged" for this season.
    Tuned in last night. Same old Chargers only the city is different.

Big game the weekend really should get back to 2-2 and then a good stretch of games we could pick up a chunk of wins.

Real pity about Joey, and unfortunately no one is offering up an alternative to help Melvin and the double team.

Anyone that's going to London, anyone going to the bolt pride party on the Saturday?

• Advertisement

Big game the weekend really should get back to 2-2 and then a good stretch of games we could pick up a chunk of wins.

Real pity about Joey, and unfortunately no one is offering up an alternative to help Melvin and the double team.

Anyone that's going to London, anyone going to the bolt pride party on the Saturday?

Where is the BP party on? I might venture by... still not going to the game though, anybody know the best sports bar in the city? I'm not going out to Wembley so won't be the green man for me.

Well that was a poor game last night actually thought we were going to lose it on the final drive of the 49ers, we still have a s##t show at kicker missing two pats, the long field goal I can accept 54 yarders are not gimmies like a pat, defense is poor so far, apart from Derwin James no standout player, Darius Phillion is playing well, offense gone 22 game's now without scoring a td on the opening drive of game's is concerning

Where is the BP party on? I might venture by... still not going to the game though, anybody know the best sports bar in the city? I'm not going out to Wembley so won't be the green man for me.

It's on in the tank and paddle,Minister Court, ticket only event for £20, get a free drink or two as well.
    Can get them from boltsoverseas.com

Think ill be heading it to myself.

The Chargers bar for the weekend is Admiralty, Trafalgar Square.

It's on in the tank and paddle,Minister Court, ticket only event for £20, get a free drink or two as well.
    Can get them from boltsoverseas.com

Think ill be heading it to myself.

The Chargers bar for the weekend is Admiralty, Trafalgar Square.

I might stick my head into the Admiralty but won't goto the Tank and Paddle event thingie.

Drew Kaser cut... You have to just scratch your head.
    Performing really well punting, surely someone else could hold the ball.

Anybody going to be in the Admiralty Sat afternoon? I plan to be there about 4.

• Advertisement

Anybody going to be in the Admiralty Sat afternoon? I plan to be there about 4.

I'll be there at some stage on Saturday.. Just not sure what time.

I'll be there at some stage on Saturday.. Just not sure what time.

I'll PM you my number and if we meet we meet. If not no sweat, I am meeting a few more bodies later but that might be in the Titans pub (barrow boy and banker, near London bridge).

I'll PM you my number and if we meet we meet. If not no sweat, I am meeting a few more bodies later but that might be in the Titans pub (barrow boy and banker, near London bridge).

Sounds good.

Anyone else heading over?

Sounds good.

Anyone else heading over?

U make it back in 1 piece Rochey? good to meet u. Hope u enjoyed Sunday.

U make it back in 1 piece Rochey? good to meet u. Hope u enjoyed Sunday.

Just about, took me a week to fully recover.

Great to meet up and have a drink.

Was a good weekend, great to get the win.

• Advertisement

I see it's confirmed the Chargers will be doing another Intl game in 2019. A few thinking it will be the Packers in London as they've never been.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 tijuanaboozer

Go Bolts:P

So the Chargers are heading the playoffs.

Huge game tomorrow, really looking forward to it.
    Hopefully we produce a performance and make them sweat against Seattle.

Also the Chargers look like they're heading to London again next year, confirmed as a home team for the international series next year.

Great win and performance for about 50 minutes.

Looking forward to next so much.. We really owe the Patriots one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Well done tonight guys.

You completely shut down the run game which was going to be the key.

All the best for the rest of the playoffs.

Great win and performance for about 50 minutes.

Looking forward to next so much.. We really owe the Patriots one.

Big-time.. because it is the Pats (who I detest) I might even watch this one.

Adrian Phillips and Melvin Ingram yesterday wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Frankie Cortese

I would love to see Rivers win or st the very least get to a SB but I think Chargers come up short against the Pats.

Couldn’t put away a rookie QB who did absolutely nothing for 3&1/2 quarters.

Brady is Foxborough is a totally different animal.

I would love to see Rivers win or st the very least get to a SB but I think Chargers come up short against the Pats.

Couldn’t put away a rookie QB who did absolutely nothing for 3&1/2 quarters.

Brady is Foxborough is a totally different animal.

Might be a shoot out as Pats D not nearly as effective as Ravens D.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Frankie Cortese

Might be a shoot out as Pats D not nearly as effective as Ravens D.

I agree it’s not but the Chargers dominated the Ravens for nearly 3 hours & could only win by 6.

They won’t dominate the Pats (as much as I would love it if they did).

I agree it’s not but the Chargers dominated the Ravens for nearly 3 hours & could only win by 6.

I have a feeling they very well might dominate them. Run game is huge for us.
    Ingram was a man possessed yesterday.
    Bosa and Ingram getting after Brady will be a joy.

Hopefully Mebane plays, we'll know today if Henry is involved.

• Advertisement

The Chargers D dominated, the O was awful... that has a lot to do with how good the Ravens D is. The Chargers O should put up many more points next weekend. Will be interesting to see how the D deal with Brady et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Having two elite edge rushers is very important. Bosa and Ingram will give the Patriots O-line the vapours.

I just don't think the Chargers offence is playing well enough. Tough to see a Patriots loss.

Terrible news about Mebane hope he has the game of his life Sunday

Terrible news about Mebane hope he has the game of his life Sunday

Something like that could provide extra motivation for the others ie. do it for his daughter kinda thing... or it could go the other way and tire them out mentally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Fantastic to see Rivers back in the play-offs and with a legitimate team around him. Telesco has done a great job at building the roster and Lynn has brought real character to them. They don’t seem as flakey as previous Charger teams.
    I don’t think they’ll win it all but I think they’ll win this weekend.

We've signed another kicker, Rose who'll take kick-offs to ensure Patterson can't return them. Was undrafted and signed with the Falcons

What happened??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

What happened??
    Pats had a game plan that they executed perfectly. Short passes that were caught, gave the Chargers pass rush little time to get to Brady, and the Pats turned those short passes into nice gains (breaking tackles). Pats rarely in 3rd and long. Allowed them to run the ball as well. And dominated possession.

On the other side of the ball, the Pats got to Rivers early and got into his head big time. He lost control of things, the delay of games a sign of him being flustered. Apart from the opening drive, when Gilmore gave up the open TD, the Pats made everything tough for the receivers, and never left the Chargers really run the ball.

Brady was vintage, and his OL run blocked and pass protected really well. With the quick passes, it was too easy for Brady. Pats in the second half took their foot off the pedal and worked the clock.

Maybe it was the experience of being there and done that, or the extra week off, or the travel for the Chargers.... but it was mismatch tonight. Good season for the Chargers, and they are a better team than what turned up today.

The Mebane moment was a nice touch. As a dad of two, really felt for the guy. At the end of the day, it's a football game, not life or death.

Best of luck next season, you've a lot to build with going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

What happened??

Men against boys.

Old man Rivers had a mental break down.

• Advertisement

Season just days away so I thought I'd look this thread up and see if there's many if any of us left on here,

What does everyone think for the new season, I'm not overly confident I think 8-8 or 9-7 is the limit for the team, the reason be I have nlvery little confidence in the offensive line, especially the tackles Scott or tevi, I think they will have rivers under constant pressure and very little to no run game while Melvin is holding out, i like ekler and Jackson but don't think they can carry the full load especially against stacked box's inside the 5 where Melvin got most his tds, defense is going to carry this team I think, even without James they should be top 8 defensive unit, bosa Ingram and tillery upfront should be exciting to watch imo,

Advertisement